Writing Advice: Non-POC writing POC culture (high fantasy)

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by PotteryWalrus, Jun 17, 2017.

1. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I... kinda need a second opinion, guys.

A while back, I started on a first-draft novel with the working title of 'Foxbones', which involved a lot of mixed-culture high fantasy, and a plot involving a second-son prince looking for his wastrel heir of a brother, and accumulating a ragtag band of friends on the way.

At the time, when I wrote most of the stuff I this evening dug up and started to move to a Scivener project file, I was enamoured with japanese mythos with a little korean thrown in for flavour - and the number of fox characters, as well as a couple of bakeneko one of which is the main character's best friend reflects this. However.

I've recently wanted to start throwing in other cultures as influences - mainly changing the royal family from asian-influenced to african, as well as drying up the surrounding country and maybe tossing a few hyena and painted dogs in, because I love them so - but I am hyper-aware that I am white as soap and I don't want to do it wrong.

As mentioned in a holler closet post, I am often guilt-stricken at all the horrible things white people have done, cultural appropriation among them, and after living on tumblr for so long I find it difficult to start even on research into african cultures without my brain going 'YOU HAVE TO HUNT DOWN EVER DETAIL ON X TRIBE AND INCORPERATE IT SOMEHOW OR ELSE YOU'RE BEING A TERRIBLE PERSON.'

On the other hand, my indulgent side just wants to fuck it and make a society of dark-skinned royal samurai. Am I allowed to do that?

TL;DR - I love melting-pot cultures and mixing ideas from IRL mythologies and ethnicities, but as a white person whose only call to interesting lineage is some czech jewish blood on my maternal grandfather's side, I don't know what's okay for me to take from any more.

2. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Maybe plop this into the "Writing what you don't know" thread - many people have that thread on watch

3. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Thanks, I will do :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice