金継ぎ

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Beldaran, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Okay everyone, lets talk about kintsugi, or kintsukuroi.

I'm sure many of you have skimmed the wikipedia page or seen the widespread tumblr post. Kintsugi is a super pretty crafting art where broken pottery is repaired usually using gold, but I've seen colored enamel/epoxy type stuff too for your more modern pieces (though I suppose that's just inspired by kintsugi and not actually kintsugi). A lot of kintsugi pieces are used for tea ceremony, though many others are just decorative.

Lets break down these words.

金 is gold, pronounced kin.

継ぎ is patch, pronounced tsugi. Patch as in both the noun and the verb, the thing needed and the thing done.

繕い is mending, pronounced tsukuroi. This is a verb, the act of doing the craft.

Pictures!

Gorgeous.

[​IMG]

Hnng...

[​IMG]

So many

[​IMG]

Western style

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I sort of want to have a backdrop for the forum that looks a bit like it, especially that gorgeous grey bowl (upper-right in the big set) that gets used so much, but I'm a bit worried about it being too busy, also I would probably want a smallish one that could tile and then it wouldn't look right anymore, because it's precisely because it doesn't repeat that it's interesting.

3. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Honestly, I think just putting something like that grey bowl across the top/title banner space would look pretty nice.

4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i could draw something for the banner, doesn't have to tile, it could just be... banner sized. or, hell, commission rah to do it, she's good at doing shiny gold in digital art.

5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

(and yes, if any of my favorite japanese pottery breaks i am absolutely going to do this to it.)

6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Grey BG with gold patchlines and dark blue script perhaps?

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice