1-2-3-4 (The Wicked + The Divine Fanthread)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by KarrinBlue, Jun 30, 2016.

1. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

also by the way i read like half of the white goddess before i had to return it to the library and it's pure bullshit but it's FASCINATING bullshit and a fun read

2. Petra

Petra space case

Also, god. Immediately after, story-wise, we see Luci's insecurities and humanity and death, we see people wearing cutesy-trendy 'Lucifer Died For Our Sins' shirts. I'm sure they mean well, but it really emphasizes how the Pantheon thing is turning people into symbols at the cost of people seeing them as people. Like, even if you were her biggest fan, you're mourning Lucifer right then, like... the concept more than the person. Like how everyone talks about fucking Tara in ways they'd likely not if they saw her as a person with her own feelings.

• Like x 3
  3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

• Like x 2
  4. Petra

Petra space case

I would honestly dislike Laura a lot more if I didn't know she's later revealed to be the pre-awakened incarnation of Persephone. I don't think it's wrong for her to want... idk, whatever it is she wants, deep down, but it's a little weird to me that she's coping with seeing Luci bloodily murdered after watching her rampage with compulsively snapping her fingers and wanting something to happen. But given who she is, and that it's implied it's something inherent, not something that's bestowed on you... it's got to feel like you're stuck in a shell and can't hatch but don't have the words to put that feeling into. It seems like being a god here is horrible and wonderous and terrifying and awesome at all once, but I can see why Laura wants the becoming. She can't not become Persephone, or if she did, I'm not sure it'd be psychologically healthy.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    • Like x 2
  5. KarrinBlue

The thing I think is interesting is - laura knows that wanting godhood is stupid and self destructive and all of that, but she still can't stop wanting. Which is... kind of relatable? At least, it makes some sense to me.

I also think the finger clicking might be because of Luci - trying to recapture what happened in chapter 5, trying to hold onto her somehow? She's definitely picked up Luci mannerisms.

• Like x 3
  6. albedo

albedo metasperg

I mean, it seems to me like her obsessive fingersnapping is her way of grieving and mourning. She deals with her loss by believing that some part of Lucifer lives on in her, and by seeking out proof that all of these unbelievable events really did happen. It's like how everyone in Harry Potter goes "you have your mother's eyes", because as long as some part of the deceased lives on, it feels like they aren't completely gone or forgotten.

• Like x 3
  7. Petra

Petra space case

Yeah. She's totally grieving, like how she keeps the cigarette carton Luci gave her. It's also that there's a lot of Laura I don't understand, because while I can understand the desire to be important, I don't have the desire to be watched.

• Like x 1
  8. Petra

Petra space case

I wonder if Persephone being a liminal goddess is important to her role as the 13th one here. Always caught between Hades and Demeter, the goddess of spring thaws and the cause of autumn cools, bringer of life and queen of death. It's fitting for such a tricky goddess to have such a tricky role.

I wonder if there's always 13 in the Pantheon, and Ananke just keeps killing off the last one before they can debut?

...I wonder if it's always Persephone.

I sort of got the impression that Ananke might have broken from her role as protectress over time and many cycles, but we only have her word for it that her divinity was taken so she could protect in the first place. For all we know, this is her punishment for something. Not enough information.

• Like x 2
  9. strictly quadrilateral

haha Petra doesn't know that one of the gods isn't properly a God and counts WAY LESS than Persephone (but I love him anyway)

10. albedo

albedo metasperg

I dunno, is that properly confirmed? -chinhands-

11. strictly quadrilateral

I don't care. It's what makes any amount of sense at all.

12. albedo

albedo metasperg

Fair enough!

13. Petra

Petra space case

I... I wasn't going to read this much today. I'm all caught up. Fuck.

• Like x 2
  14. Petra

Petra space case

Okay but Sakhmet/Sekmet is also a war goddess, and a pretty big one, too. It's been demonstrated time and time again how top-tier her fighting is in the comic, and how effortless. In myth Sekmet is so implacable that she has to be ritually kept drunk in order to keep her from destroying all humanity. Morrigan is a major war goddess, and could probably go toe-to-toe with Baal, but Sakhmet has been shown to be a much better fighter than even him without even practicing.

So I'm not surprised she's fucking ruining Morrigan here. Her main weakness is definitely going to be her attention span.

• Like x 2
  15. KarrinBlue

I know sakhmet is a war goddesses but I feel like a fight between the two should be more impressive! Persephone had a better showing against her!

• Like x 1
  16. Petra

Petra space case

Fair enough! Hopefully Morrigan rallies in the next issue.

Also, about what Bel is talking about.

I'm pretty sure if one of the Pantheon is 'fake' it's Woden, the conspiciously powerless guy who never takes off his costume and whose main asset is building things real good, which is technically in the realm of human ability. Given that he's apparently either hiding or protecting mysterious Pink Person from Ananke, it's also possible PP is the deity, and Woden is fronting to protect them.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • Like x 2
  17. Petra

Petra space case

• Like x 3
  18. albedo

albedo metasperg

@Petra omg, that's amazing. doitdoitdoit.

19. Petra

Petra space case

I was working on a Tara one when the asofterworld website crapped out on me. There's a lot of comics that suit Tara, but I was gonna keep looking until I found a fucking gutpunch.

• Like x 1
  20. albedo

albedo metasperg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice