a few school-related anxiety queries

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by garden, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ingloriousHeist

ingloriousHeist Shen an Calhar

Sleep is good, definitely use that. I welcome messages, too, so no problem.

2. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Bolding mine.

I can't stress how helpful it's gonna be for you to start going to a therapist for college. I'm a senior in college myself, and struggling with a lot of the problems you mentioned, particularly procrastination and attention. If you're comfortable getting a formal diagnosis and documentation, you can often bring that to your college's academic resource people and they will arrange accomodations. These can be anything from excused absences to extensions on exams to tutors. The sooner you figure out your accomodations, the more you'll get out of them. I finally got around to getting accomodations for depression for my last semester of college, and while it's good that my profs know that sometimes I don't have the spoons for class or turn in some things late, if I had pursued it sooner I could have saved a lot of brain angst.

I'm not a perfectionist, so my procrastination mostly comes from being bored by my assignments, and the boredom comes from extreme burnout. Some of the best ways I cope is to do study groups. I know this can definitely be harder in high school, but if you can find a group of people who are taking the same subjects as you and do the work in a group, I tend to get things done in a more timely manner. If that's not the case, I do 20-10s, which are do 20 minutes of work, then 10 minutes on tumblr or DS or drawing. It usually works as long as I make sure I have a timer set.

• Like x 1
  3. garden

garden lucid dreamer

I've done stuff like that before - tomato.es has a timer set for 25 minutes of work, then 5 minute break. I may have to try out the 20-10 set up, though, figure out how different it is from 25-5.

Thanks for the advice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice