A Wicked Convergence of Circumstances Mk 2.0

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by OtherCat, Dec 19, 2018.

1. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

I have made congee! I was not sure I would like the texture, as over cooked rice is a strong NO for me, but what I ended up with was pretty good and very chickeny. One cup rice plus seven cups broth (from chicken bouillon) makes a LOT of congee it turns out.

The reason behind making congee is that my thoracic surgeon guy suspects my stomach is not digesting food fast enough. (I do not remember the exact term for that.) So I have been put on a Mushy Things Diet. I also need to lose weight. Because physics. That's why.

So congee. technically I wasn't supposed to have a fresh/stringy vegetable with it, but I topped it with green onion. Next time I will chop it up finer and maybe cook it. I also added a can of chicken, that I minced up finer. I also added a tiny bit of sesame seed oil.

Friday, I'm going to be seeing my nutritionist and see what specific quick foods I can have/make because spoons.

• Winner x 3
  2. OtherCat

I'm reading "Under Heaven" by Guy Gavriel Kay and my mood is "Why the fuck am I shipping the Main character's teenaged sister with a demon-possessed Mongol-equivalent who wanders around with a huge ass pack of wolves?"

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  3. OtherCat

I suspect it is probably the wolves, though the sister is pretty scared of them.

4. OtherCat

I have stopped reading Guy Gavriel Kay for the same reason I usually stop reading Guy Gavriel Kay. Books very long, I don't really like most of the characters and I am pretty sure he is doing the thing where kinky=bad guy. (I feel slightly guilty for having this irritation since in certain of my my kinky fics the characters are generally not-good.) I just generally feel very impatient when reading, except maybe A Song for Arbonne, and even then it wasn't a book I've re-read.

I have done a little writing! The original fic I'm working on is an idea I've had off and on for years, and it's based off of a news article I read years ago. Basically the article had been about false memories, in this case, false memories of Satanic Ritual Abuse due to emotional abuse she'd gotten from a couple of really awful "therapists." In this case, a private detective of some description is investigating her because she has a kid, and her family members are honestly not sure that it's hers.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like x 2
  5. OtherCat

1. Thursday I had a CT scan and to do that awful test that involves swallowing barium and wanting to die.

2. Friday, I attempted to activate my Paypal Prepaid Card. After a lot of struggle I was able to activate it. However, I was not able to connect it to my goddamned Paypal account. The website is just not cooperating with me when I try to register. Customer service has been super unhelpful.

3. Over the weekend, I got sick! It was mostly nausea/chills/headache and maybe also a fever because there was a point where I woke up and I was pretty much on fire.

4. My pulmonary doctor raised the number on my CPAP to 13. Before, it was twelve. So, one small step for Othercat, one huge leap for apneakind?

5. My old laptop is dead and is essentially a piece of plastic. The netbook still works, though it is very, very slow and I can barely use Firefox on it. (And is probably why I am having so much problems with item 2.)

6. I am having an eternal screaming moment because I am going to have to pay 100 dollars for rent again because Patreon pays out on the first, which is a Friday. And if you bring in rent by the fourth, it's an extra 35 dollars.

• Witnessed x 4
  6. OtherCat

TFW you really, really want to write fanfic for books that have not been published yet. And you only know about them because a) you've read the original nano project and/or interacted with the story verse. b) you've read snippets. c) you've read snippets and world building.

In more explicit detail: I am following jumping jack trash's and seebs thing I can't remember off the top of my head.

On dreamwidth/livejournal, I have been following the writing of someone named K for years and years. She's writing urban fantasy with some very interesting worldbuilding. Recessional is also writing urban fantasy that then turns into fantasy apocalypse (So does K's but the circumstances are different.) Recessional also had some world building involving people bonding with dragons that also involved some portal fic of the slightly traumatic variety.

I love their world building so much. I am in envy of their writing. <3

• Like x 1
  7. OtherCat

Re: previous. Somewhere buried in my desktop is a silly art piece I did for K's universe. It was basically a recruitment post for the "ulfredulfr" Alfheim's army. (in her universe, there were four faerie empires in faerie and one of them was Alfheim. I don't really remember the names of the other three.

8. OtherCat

Silent Walrus' Harry Potter/Fullmetal Alchemist crossover "snipers solve 99% of all problems" is a joy and delight. Ed's reactions are amazing, and everyone's reactions to Ed are also amazing, though some more outsider POV would be fun and also hilarious.

It turns out Silent Walrus is also the writer that did the "Bucky Barnes Gets His Groove Back," series so it's not surprising it's well written and funny as hell.

In other news, I have nasty medical appointments coming up due to nasty surprises. :| Also there's the upcoming meeting the with neuropsych that I'm both apprehensive and excited about. Also also, there's the annual "prove you are still eligible and worthy for this this program" song and dance for my subsidized housing which is always stressful.

• Witnessed x 3
  9. OtherCat

I have read all of Jim Hines Goblin books which were cute and funny but also strangely depressing at the end for reasons which are spoilery. I got one (1) tricker treater but had not candy for them as I usually get zero (0) tricker treaters.

I was able to pay the rent, due to some assistance from a friend. I will be able to get a money order for next month. I still need to wait for various things before I can renew my lease, among them my Proof I Still Qualify for Aid thing.

I have a medical test on Monday I'm not happy about. :/

10. OtherCat

screeeeeeeeeee So I had a lap top and it was dying/is now dead. I also have a old old netbook which is currently doing the same "suddenly shutting off" thing that the lap top was doing. bangs head against table I don't want this thing to die too. I need it to write.

screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Witnessed x 4
  11. OtherCat

A random thought about the use of the word "handlers" in Winter Soldier fic, where "handlers" are synonymous with horrific abuse because Winter Soldier and Hydra, organization of a hundred assholes. I remember @jacktrash talking about how "handlers" are actually for intel and the like, and I had a dialog snip from an actual-handler being annoyed about someone using the "horrific abuse" version to refer to them. And ranting about it. It would be fun to see something like that in a fic.

Something like: "Look, I provide the information, you provide the asskicking. I do not kick ass least of all the asses of people I need to have a goddamn rapport with so I can provide the fucking information. He was not a handler. He was a fucking son of a bitch."

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  12. OtherCat

Also, I don't have cancer. I also don't have a primary care physician and found out when I went in and the doctor I spoke to was a) not my doctor b) had no familiarity with my case. c) failed to address my concerns. So I had a meltdown. Fortunately there was a doctor who was much better at listening to me and assisted me with finding out what the hell was going on.

• Winner x 3
  13. OtherCat

I have managed to exercise almost every day this week!! Both my physical therapy exercises for my legs and some mild weight lifting for my arms.

• Winner x 4
  14. OtherCat

Some FrostIron I am liking:

Blame It on the Bard (Who is Obviously Tony Stark) in which an off the cuff remark from Tony results in the God of Mischief being invited to the Avengers D&D campaign. (Which is a good thing because they can't seem to make it past the first game of any campaign.)

Return of Hug Fortress in which Tony makes Loki have a meltdown and they hug it out. No, really. Haven't gotten too far into it, but it's fun.

Nadir in which Loki is a sneaky son of a frost giant and has Plans to take out Thanos. Of course he'll need to reveal that he didn't die bravely and so on first.

• Useful x 1
  15. OtherCat

This has been. A week. I am tired and I feel cruddy and I am having stress because of housing situation and so on. (Rent has gone up and I wasn't sure that the housing people would be able to cover it. THEN the apartment tried to charge me a late fee that wasn't my responsibility to pay.)

I have given up on keeping up with wordcount, since I lost track/didn't do a lot of writing in October and November. (Also, I need to change the way I do the word count.) I will restart with a slightly different method in January.

I also have to renew my medicaid. This is always a fun and exciting experience. Particularly when you can't get a hold of your case manager reliably.

I'm currently re-reading Feather's "your blue eyed boys" adjacent series, "Settle in and Find Your Home." As is everything Feather writes, it is awesome and shiny.

• Witnessed x 3
  16. OtherCat

Reading the Christian thread I am remembering the following points.

1.a. I honestly believe monotheism "breaks." By which I mean it inherently multiplies into various denominations and even other religions. I feel that this is one of the key indicators that polytheism is more accurate.
    1.b. If monotheism were more accurate, there would only be one religion. As in you would not be able to brain the concept of other religions, in addition to there being only one religion, not that "other religions" are inherently false (which is my major splitting point with Christianity. My general feel is "No, that doesn't sound right. And also stupid.")

2.a. I have very negative feelings about (Christian) people who have a hell-concept. Even the ones who go "hell is just separation from god, tee hee!." Maybe especially those because it seems like a very twee lie, and they are secretly imagining you frying because free will is apparently evil.
    2.b. If you need a goddamn implied threat to "be good" then you need to rethink your ethical system.
    2.c. I think Christians who have a hell-concept are doing themselves a harm due to Excessive Concern because other people are not (their denomination) of Christian. Or not Christian at all.

• Agree x 1
  17. OtherCat

My kingdom for a download of Office 2010. A friend got me a new computer. It has Office 360. I cannot afford installment plan programs. I do not want installment plan programs. The new computer does not have a dvd player, so the exe would also need to be on a flash drive, or a down load of somekind.
    If I had a product key I could probably get/replace office with 2010, but I do not have a product key.

• Witnessed x 1
  18. OtherCat

On the other hand, It's fast as hell, and cooperates with most of the pages I send it too and firefox is working at a good speed. It's lovely, and light as air, and while it only has 64 GB, and no dvd drive I have an external drive so. The only problem is. Office. >_>; (No, I can't do google docs, I only have intermittent internet connection.)

• Winner x 1
  19. OtherCat

So I am a moron and forgot "bittorrent" and "piratebay" were things that definitely existed. A friend pointed me to a copy of office 2010 andI was able to download it. I am still figuring out all the bells and whistles of the new comp and was actually able to do some outlining.

In other news, I got absolutely NO SLEEP AT ALL And stayed up through the next morning. Because of lack of sleep. I am short on meds and didn't get them refilled soon enough. So that was a thing.

20. OtherCat

On the other hand, I got some writing/outlining done, so that's a thing.

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice