All Purpose General Youtube Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Aondeug, Sep 3, 2019.

1. garden

garden lucid dreamer

ouch, that sucks. i don’t remember when my family went to disneyworld, but it was before FastPass+ was rolled out. i’m not sure if we properly took advantage of the paper fastpasses, though.

i do recall some relatively long lines for some things (though not absurdly long), but i was also fairly patient as long as i had someone to talk to. (the same could not be said for everyone in my family.)

2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

It was still a fun day overall but it was a pain in the fucking ass. And when I go to Disney World next I'm definitely going to do more reading on like. Planning the trip. Which I'm kind of irritated by? Like yeah I've got to plan a bit for my trips to Six Flags but generally that planning is mostly just when to arrive, when we leave to get dinner at Waffle House, when we head back home, etc. I really don't care for having to have my entire trip in the park pre-planned outside of like...Meal times...

Speaking of waits, I was interested to see that, yeah, my tolerance for waits and ride focus did place me squarely in the ride enthusiast class. Like on some level I already knew that I was like. A very specific kind of park guest. But it was interesting to see that my times for showing up and leaving and my tolerance for waits managed to mesh so well with the stuff used in the data set.

• Agree x 3
  3. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

I hope none of my future partners try surprising me with Disney because it does Not sound like my jam. I'll go with if they want to, but my main things will be neat architecture and food XD

4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I just got to that point in the Victorious video and I second this so hard.

• Agree x 1
  5. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

F.D Signifier is one of my top favorite video essayists. I wish I remembered how I originally found his channel, because it’s kinda relevant to this video. (It might be because youtube seems to think I’m black. I still get the insurance ads with the white guy who’s mad that an emu used his desk, but a huge percentage of the ads I see feature Black actors and voice actors when no people are shown onscreen.) Part of his mission is to approach things with compassion, and while I certainly don’t think that should be a requirement particularly for minorities speaking on topics that affect them, it’s something I personally admire a lot. I think the way he does it leaves room for the reality of human fallibility and general fucked up shit without needing anyone to accept or forgive before a conversation can happen.

I feel like the power of his approach is on full fucking display here. I’ve certainly heard the history of how the atheist movement became anti-SJW became gamergate before, but his description of the driving motives of the guys involved had my jaw on the floor.

This is not a video about how breadtube and people’s favorite leftist content creators are bad or unnecessary. It’s something so, so much more. The kind of thing far too nuanced and careful to fit in a thumbnail or video title that would likely entice people to click over on youtube dot website.

• Informative x 2
  6. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Fuck. Fuuuuuck. Watching this video made me realise that when I created my current YT throwaway -- I had previously only had the one YT channel associated with my RL identity that housed my professional work, so it was very sparse and I was very careful about which videos and creators I interacted with -- so I could better engage and leave comments and stuff... it actually made my YT recommendations much worse and homogenous.

Previously, I had managed my YT front page by mostly just manually telling YT to stop putting nazis on it, and to exclude certain things I didn't want to see, making it so that refreshing the front page meant they had to find something new to put in there, but now my front page is literally nothing but "related" channels to the channels I follow. Unsubscrubing from Lindsay Ellis and subscribing to Khadija Mbowe literally doubled the amount of black creators in my feed.

What the fuck am I supposed to do with this? Using the site as intended makes my experience on it worse.

• Witnessed x 2
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Hmmm, F.D Signifier mentioned that Khadija shouted him out, and it had an important positive effect on his channel during a very difficult time. Maybe that’s how I first found him? Regardless, youtubers shouting out other youtubers has been incredibly useful to me in finding diverse people making certain types of videos I might like to watch. His own video there has a bunch of links in the description, several of which I plan to check out.

Tee Noir, another absolute rock star of youtube commentary imo, has also pointed me towards a lot of diverse creators I might like, because she regularly mentions other creators who have made relevant videos on the topics she discusses.

One additional very helpful resource for finding good and underappreciated content on youtube is Thought Slime’s ongoing Eyeball Zone project, where they request (no more than one) email regarding people’s small leftist projects and feature them at the end of their own videos. They helpfully maintain a google doc master list of all the featured videos so you don’t have to insert coin to receive prize if you just want the recs. The content creators I’ve encountered this way have been quite diverse. For example, on the topic of critical race theory videos that aren’t by white people, by far the most memorable ones for me, not just from POC but in general, were two videos I felt complemented each other well. They were T1J’s video and this recommendation from the Eyeball Zone:

Ime at least, the more information youtube has about diverse content you’re interested in watching based on your viewing history, the better of a job it seems to do with recommending more diverse things instead of relying on the safest, meaning whitest, possible bets. It honestly feels like the so-called gay button in video games, where you have to go out of your way to prove to the game that you want to see the gay content, and then it opens the floodgates, otherwise you can play the entire thing without ever seeing anything that isn’t straight. This certainly doesn’t eliminate the need to go out of your way to see videos by POC creators, but it does really help a whole lot. It’s amazing how dramatic an effect even a small change can make, just like unsubscribing from one channel and subscribing to one other channel. It’s fucking shocking and really damn upsetting to discover you’ve been quietly shuffled down the White People pipeline without your permission, and you didn’t do anything about it because you had no idea there was anything to do. Believe me, I know the feeling.

• Like x 3
  8. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Teaching rats to play Doom

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Mp3 to midi to midi piano. Essentially a low-fidelity Fourier transform but the inverse transform uses fake piano instead of sine waves.

• Winner x 1
  10. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Really in depth exploration on exactly why nfts are so terrible

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  11. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It also has a really good explanation of the 2008 financial crisis at the beginning, for anyone who's interested.

• Agree x 2
  12. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

In the spirit of 'Every Smash Brothers OSHA violation', every Punch Out Association of Boxing Commissions Rule Violation.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    • Winner x 2
  13. bornofthesea670

I'm not really interested in Lolita, especially sweet Lolita. If I ever got into the fashion it'd be via gothic or classic. But i don't love the silhouette or wearing head accessories and I'm pretty sure forgoing head accessories is like not wearing a hat out in public earlier than 1930. Illegal.

But Lovely Lor and especially Tyler Willis are fun to binge.

• Informative x 1
  14. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I think my favorite youtube videos are the ones where people explain music stuff. I've watched the Cats musical video by sideways several times, not just because it's funny to listen to the poor man lose his mind, but also because it's informative. I like watching roomieofficial because he likes to break down music by playing through it himself and then explaining musical terms, and he clearly likes music a lot. Trying to get the algorithm to give me more videos like that and I finally got one today.

• Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. bornofthesea670

I also love Sideways! He also did the one on what Avatars (blue cat people) music could be been if the execs didnt want more normie friendly music, right? That was heartbreaking XD I wonder if some of the samples are still around somewhere. I'd love to hear them.

16. Wormwitch

I also love listening to people talk about movies like Every Frame a Painting, and Super Eyepatch Wolf.

17. Wormwitch

Really like videos where people in a certain field react to scenes in movies or to video games. Here's a doctor reacting to the Cells at Work anime.

18. bornofthesea670

Not video related, but I'm subscribed to a Muslim baker on YouTube and now Facebook is trying to sell me burqas XD

19. bornofthesea670

Scared to watch Jenny Nicholsons latest video because of my christian PTSD lmao

I cannot with the weird ass tone they have in church based media. Helping out during VBS (vacation bible school, for those who didnt grow up christian....or whatever brand of Christian does vbs. There's like 500 breeds of Christianity.) was hell for little atheist teen me

Anyway, hope other folks like it XD I'll probably check it out later because I like her content, we'll see.

Tldr if your kid doesn't want to go to church don't force them too, it'll make them resent it even more.

20. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Contents summary for anyone who wants a barometer on how this is likely to play with Jesus Damage:
    Jenny found an evangelical church in Winnipeg that puts on a weirdly high production-value 20-40 minute Easter play every year in which pop culture characters sing pop songs except it's also about Easter so one of them is Jesus and gets crucified and resurrected. Sometimes they change the song lyrics to be about Jesus and sometimes they don't. Jenny doesn't usually play audio of rewritten lyrics that's more than a couple lines long, but there are a lot of long shots of characters in Jesus poses. There are also several parts that are Extremely Racist. A lot of it is secularly weird, though, too, like Han Solo reciting the entire Man Your Man Could Smell Like commercial for no apparent reason. In my and, apparently, Jenny's opinion, the sequence that absolutely epitomizes the entire thing is
    Tony Stark hanging in the air on a rebar cross singing a mournful mashup duet with Loki where Loki is singing "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" and Iron Man is singing "Tubthumping."

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice