Anecdata: Autopilot error

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Elaienar, May 15, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i do things like this a lot too. one of the main things i do is try to push my glasses back up when they're slipping but then i'm not even wearing them at the time and i just sort of boop the bridge of my nose awkwardly.

i can also never seem to put on a matching pair of socks, i don't usually wear them and even when i'm actively thinking "get matching socks" over and over i'll look down later in the day and one will be something like a bright orange low cut sock and the other will be a green and blue striped no show sock.

• Like x 3
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

awkward megane anime character ivy does this too

• Like x 3
  3. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I totally match my socks by length, not by color/pattern finding matching socks on autopilot is haaaaaard.

• Like x 1
  4. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

The actual worst: misplacing your glasses. Because you need to see. To find the glasses. You need the glasses to find the glasses. THE ACTUAL WORST

The other actual worst was when I consciously told myself "I am going to the bookstore" and missed not one but two turns to get there, because first I was autopilot-for-takeout and second I was autopilot-for-home. Why must all these things be conveniently on the way home?

• Like x 3
  5. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I don't have that problem with socks 'cause having a different length or texture on either foot is instantly noticable to me, eheheh.

I just remembered my favourite collective autopilot error story! So, my family does morning prayers at home fairly often, and since it's been over a decade since we started we have the morning prayer service from the 1979 BCP (Book of Common Prayer) pretty much memorised. Part of that service is the Apostle's Creed. And we said the Nicene Creed in church pretty much every Sunday for about eight years, so we have that one memorised too.

...So apparently one morning all five-plus members of the family in attendance were on autopilot, and all of them we malfunctioning, because we started out saying the Apostle's Creed and then seamlessly slipped into the Nicene Creed starting from "And I believe in the Holy Ghost". And didn't notice until a couple of lines into it. Every single one of us.

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 1
  6. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Fortunately with glasses my problem is distance vision, but close things are completely clear.

7. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

Oh gods, yes.

Also for glasses - when I started wearing contact lenses I would constantly try and push my glasses up my nose. Where there were no glasses. Problems. (Also I would occasionally put my glasses on while wearing lenses, which didn't go well at all.)

• Like x 1
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I have several times now thought that i should go put book one back in the shelf and get book two. I even got up...and got a drink instead.

• Like x 1
  9. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Yesterday at work I kept accidentally grabbing people's things like drinks, air fresheners they wanted to buy, and other stuff like that instead of the ticket so I could give them their total.

Autopilot why

10. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Day 16. Clothes that need to go to the dry cleaners are still in my car. I still drive past the cleaners twice a day every single day. Not once in 16 days have I managed to switch off my autopilot for the ten minutes it would take to drop the clothes off.

• Like x 3
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Sooo I was gonna boil some eggs. So I put eggs in a pot and turned the heat on. I did not put water in the pot.
    Thankfully I noticed it before anything bad happened.

• Like x 5
  12. raydelblau

raydelblau the giant rat who makes all of the rules

i feel so many of these posts.

lately my autopilot has been directing me to websites that i never meant to visit. if i open my laptop with the intention of checking my email or doing actual work, my hands will automatically open chrome and type an "f," a "t," or a "v" into the address bar (taking me to flight rising, seebs, or vastderp, respectively).

it's nice to visit the sites i regularly look at, i guess, but my original goal vanishes from my working memory as soon as i start browsing any new content. hours of internetting later, i suddenly remember that i meant to be buying a bed or something. sigh.

• Like x 6
  13. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

• glass of mio procedure: squirt mio in glass, fill glass with water.
    • glass of iced coffee procedure: rinse glass and dump rinse water (because milk coffee that's been sitting a while gets gross), fill glass with iced coffee.
    • autopilot error: squirt mio in glass, rinse glass and dump mio.

• Like x 4
  14. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

First I tried to put ice cubes in the salad crisper, then put the bottle opener in the fridge, then dumped my bottle tops in my glass of ice instead of the bin. This glass of cider is not meant to be.

• Like x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  15. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

or else sorely needed. :U

• Like x 2
  16. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

That moment when you find something in the freezer that doesn't go there and turn slowly to the pantry because, where's the ice cream... :(

• Like x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  17. pixels

> bottle of soda in lap
    > plastic bottlecap in left hand
    > uncapped pen in right hand
    > god damn it now my nib is smashed

• Like x 2
  18. blue

blue hightown funk you up

>stab self in hand with mechanical pencil because you assumed you were holding it eraser-up
    >at least it wasn't the compass point

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  19. pixels

> scratch blister
    > ew gross
    > clean blister
    > put on polysporin
    > put on bandaid
    > leave bandaid residue on counter
    > throw polysporin in the trash

i am so smart you guys

• Like x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

That sounds like my kind of trick, @pixels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice