Anecdata: Autopilot error

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Elaienar, May 15, 2015.

1. Mattias

Mattias Well-Known Member

I have done that with tuna! I put an amount of mustard in that would be appropriate if it was mayonnaise, except I didn't have the mayonnaise, I had the mustard. It's a good thing I like mustard a lot.

• Like x 1
  2. Mattias

I used to do that all the time when I was a kid. My mom would tell me to get dressed before school and she'd come back fifteen minutes later and I hadn't even taken off my pajamas yet. I don't know how I managed that, but she was at her wit's end trying to get me and several other children ready and to school on time.

3. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

today at work i was like "hmm, the pH in this pool is a little high, should add some of the chemical stuff that lowers pH!" the pH-down stuff is in a pool house about six or seven yards away from the pool gate (which closes every time you leave, it's annoying af)
    so i went "hmmmmm, three scoops of it should probably do the trick"
    i walked allll the way to the pool house, got a scoop of the stuff, went back, opened gate, went and put it in the pool. then i did this twice more, because three scoops! so far, so good
    except at this point i was on TOTAL AUTOPILOT and went back for a fourth and fifth scoop, caught myself on the sixth :'D thus, for about two hours, the pool pH was like. . . a 6.8 instead of in the 7.4-7.6 range, lmao, good thing that literally no one in the community uses the pool

• Like x 4
  4. marmalade

marmalade ???

I will, every single time without fail, forget if I've locked the front door. I always do but still, every time I leave the house my brain is like, "Wait, did I?" and then I spend the entire time I'm out worrying that this time I didn't :\

• Like x 3
  5. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

Story. Of my. Life.

6. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

I am usually pretty good about catching myself on the brink of something stupid, but there's definitely moments where I'm about to pour Dr. Pepper into my steeped tea instead of milk and I catch up like "wAIT A MOMENT SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT HERE."

Brains! They are so bad at things.

(I also always, ALWAYS have to double-check I have my keys in my purse when I leave a car.)

• Like x 3
  7. Mattias

That's hilarious XD But what a disaster that would be, bye bye tea.

• Like x 1
  8. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

...That sounds really unappetising, it's a good thing you caught that.

So, a lot of the time when I'm on autopilot the brainthing that does the thing so I can have a memory of the thing I just did doesn't ... engage, or something. I don't know how many times I've sat down with a fresh cup of coffee and been startled and annoyed, some minutes later, to discover that my cup is empty. Presumably because I drank everything in it, but ... plenty of times I don't remember it.

I also have this problem using the credit card machine at work. Since I've gotten used to it, there are times when I swipe a card, punch in the dollar amount, hand the card back to the customer, and immediately begin panicking internally because I can't remember which buttons I pushed.

9. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Me, absentmindedly: *picks up jacket to put it away*
    Me, looking at space where jacket was until I picked it up: Where did my jacket go?!
    Me, holding jacket: ...Oh.

• Like x 5
  10. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I just did that with my phone not two minutes ago.

• Like x 2
  11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

You've never really lived until you've put the TV remote in the fridge.

• Like x 7
  12. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

...and you don't notice at first because you're furiously trying to change channels with your phone.

• Like x 5
  13. sicklyprince

sicklyprince giant androgynous glam monster

customer dropped a watermelon on the floor at work, it split open, watermelon juice is everywhere, i need to clean it up. so i go into the stockroom for a roll of paper towels. i get the paper towels, walk out onto the sales floor with them and....promptly throw them backwards over my shoulder. i didn't realize what i did until i got to the mess of watermelon juice on the floor and realized there were no paper towels in my hand. i'm lucky i didn't hit a customer in the head with them.

• Like x 4
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i went to make macaroni and cheese for lunch today, which i do often enough that i can usually get through it without really thinking about what i'm doing. when i went to double check how much milk to use for the sauce i saw 4 cups instead of 1/4 cup. i caught myself as i was measuring it out, before i had macaroni soup for lunch instead.

• Like x 3
  15. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I just confidently loaded an armful of dirty clothes into the dryer and then stood there staring for a full minute because I couldn't figure out where to put the detergent.

In my defense, I'm very tired.

• Like x 2
  16. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I no longer trust myself to make coffee. Grandma keeps complaining when I ask her to make it but dad has saved me from many a machine-ruining catastrophe and is now the "please make coffee I am stupid" person. I have, on separate occasions, forgotten that you need to put coffee IN to get coffee OUT, and nearly burnt a serving of grounds by not adding water.

The 'defeat the coffee machine' scenes in WT have been extra funny because done that, and that one, forgot that before...

• Like x 5
  17. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I moved from my apartment on the sixth floor to another on the fourth floor recently because of a plumbing problem in my original apartment, so I now live in the same hallway as before, but two floors down and across the hall from the previous one. The other day I autopiloted to the sixth floor without realizing I'd pressed the wrong button, got out my key for my new apartment and tried it in what I thought was my door. It didn't work, at which point I looked up, realized I was two floors above my actual apartment, and then had to rather awkwardly explain myself to the friend who actually lives there and had no clue why someone was trying to unlock her door.

• Like x 1
  18. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Making soup. Boiling some bones and things in a separate pot to make broth. Want to strain broth into soup pot. Aquire strainer, hold in left hand, return to stove, pick up broth pot with right hand, dump contents into soup while holding the strainer a foot away from either pot.

...Spend five minutes picking bones and bits of skin out of soup.

• Like x 1
  19. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I was just baking a cake and when I was putting things away I started thinking about @Exohedron 's math puzzle. Autopilot engaged and promptly tried to put the vanilla away in the refrigerator instead of the cabinet where it belongs.

• Like x 4
  20. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I threw a fourth of an onion into the cabinet because that is where food goes yes.

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice