Anecdata: righty or lefty?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Fish butt, Jun 11, 2015.

?

Right-handed or left-handed?

1. Righty tighty

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Lefty loosey

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. I do BOTH!

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Right handed, but I can slowly and carefully write with my left.

My mom is very left handed though.

• Like x 1
  2. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

Right-handed child of a lefty (Mom). Sweet Depression and Hella Anxiety, introducing the new friend BPD and guest-starring Probably Sperg.

I drive left-handed and play tennis left-handed, though. And I think I remember holding my guitar wrong.

Something that's also particular to my situation is that I have nerve damage in my left hand from a middle-school surgery.

• Like x 1
  3. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

I am right handed, but I also use my left hand for some stuff too (get your head out of the gutter). I'm not ambidextrous though, my hand dominance is just not very well established.

• Like x 1
  4. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Right-handed, though I do some things left-handed (hockey is a notable exception; I can't play worth shit with a right-handed stick).

• Like x 2
  5. Silvereye

Silvereye 89 White Paladin Traverses The Cosmos

Right-handed. Have been diagnosed with depression, by now it's occasional relapses, not continuously serious thing. Seebs thought I might be autistic, I'm not quite sure.

• Like x 1
  6. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

Righty with decent ability in my left; I can write(slower, but more legible), use chopsticks(pretty well except for very fine motor control), draw(poorly; Rarely practiced), and snap fingers(learned on my left, but my right is stronger).

Anxiety, depression, seebsian-sperg diagnosis. Consider myself a creative type. I (used to) draw a lot, write occasionaly, and world build.

• Like x 1
  7. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

I'm pretty strongly right-handed. Used to play piano, which got my left hand barely up to the realm of acceptability, but otherwise I'm a definite rightie.

Brain things: 'sperg, probably PTSD also

• Like x 1
  8. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Righty for almost everything, including writing, but there's a few specific gestures and other things I do leftily. I am the Undiagnosed but most likely autistic pile of brainweird.

Genetic anecdata, I have one parent of each. Mom's righty, dad's lefty.

• Like x 1
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Very right-handed, though I hold things oddly (pens, forks, etc.)? Hella brainweird. Artsy as shit.

• Like x 1
  10. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Ambidextrous, usually right-dominant but I do certain things backwards, like I wear my watch on my right wrist, open bottles lefthanded etc. I used to be able to write and draw with both feet as well, but have lost that with age. My dad is a leftie, suppressed, of the generation told that it wasn't 'correct' to write with the left hand. My mum's a rightie.
    Depression, anxiety, PTSD, dyscalculic, possible ADHD undiagnosed. Artist/crafter.

• Like x 1
  11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I s'pose I should add to my anecdata. So, as above: righty, but a couple things lefty. Mom is righty, Dad is lefty. I am diagnosed with depression, undiagnosed anxiety but I'm pretty sure it's there. both sides of the family have depression. ERRYBODY BE SAD NOW OONTZ OONTZ. other mental illness on maternal side (brain is telling me schizo but I'm not sure? also not sure if actually related or if by marriage), ADHD non-hyperactive for sure. we are all uber artsy folks - strongly musical on both sides (going back several generations for sure on the paternal side, at least a couple on maternal side), a goodly amount of visual art too (drawing, painting, architecture, interior design).

• Like x 1
  12. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

Right handed and diagnosed ASD and depression.

• Like x 1
  13. raydelblau

raydelblau the giant rat who makes all of the rules

right-handed. my left hand can hold my chin and poke at a keyboard with minor errors... and that's about all it can do.

EDIT: both brainweird and an artsy scientist.

• Like x 1
  14. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

You know what's funny: the amount of left-handers vs. the amount of right-handers that have answered the questionnaire so far are almost exactly proportional to the amount of left-handers and right-handers in the world's population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness#Types

If I can make a really shoddy conclusion based on this, it's that it turns out that the amount of left-handers that are brain-weird are not over or under-represented more than the general number of left-handers worldwide.

And that makes me think of this joke:

"There are three men on a train. One of them is an economist and one of them is a logician and one of them is a mathematician. And they have just crossed the border into Scotland and they see a brown cow standing in a field from the window of the train. And the economist says, 'Look, all cows in Scotland are brown.' And the logician says, 'No. There are cows in Scotland of which at least one is brown.' And the mathematician says, 'Gentleman, let us all agree that there is at least one field in Scotland, which contains at least one cow, of which one side appears to be brown.' ."

• Like x 10
  15. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

What I find interesting is that the amount of ambidextrous people actually exceeds the amount of left handers. I always thought ambidexterity was much rarer than left handedness.

• Like x 1
  16. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

If this is possible, I've become increasingly right-handed as I've gotten older, to the point where I think my right hand is about twice as physically sensitive as my left. I think this is because I've always done tons of writing/drawing/etc, and being right-handed in the first place, that just made my hand stronger and more sensitive. (It's also noticeably bigger than my left hand.)

Brainweird: childhood epilepsy, various mental illnesses, auditory processing issues, probably autistic. All of these things are also present in my immediate and extended family.

• Like x 1
  17. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Oops, meant to reply to this earlier. American style fork + knife etiquette means switching your fork to your left hand so you can hold the knife with your right while you cut, and then switching the fork back to the right hand to eat with, so that's what my mom taught me. I haven't seen anyone else here in the U.S. eating left-handed unless they're left-handed. (I just do it because I want to get better at using my left hand for things I usually don't.)

Also paging @Key to submit anecdata!

• Like x 1
  18. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@emythos adding to that: I also learned to eat w/knife and fork that way (switching knife to right hand to cut), but I trained myself out of it because the switching is silly imo. I eat right-handed if I've only got one utensil, but if I've got a knife and fork I'll either stick to knife in left and fork in right, or vice versa, but I don't usually switch.

• Like x 1
  19. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I constantly switch utensils around when I'm eating. Never bothered to not.

20. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

@Kaylotta @Elaienar @emythos @IvyLB when I eat with knife and fork, I hold the fork in my left, and cut with my right hand. It works out well, because my right hand is only good for cutting, and my left can do the more delicate and accurate task of bringing the food to my mouth. (seriously, if I try to hold a fork in my right, I miss my mouth)

Much like I play the guitar 'right-handed', which is kind of a misnomer, just because the right hand has the melody does not mean it is being challenged more than the left. My left-hand is stronger and more flexible for the hard work of finding the strings, pressing down and making ornaments. My right hand is good for plucking and not much more.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice