Anecdata: righty or lefty?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Fish butt, Jun 11, 2015.

?

Right-handed or left-handed?

1. Righty tighty

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Lefty loosey

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. I do BOTH!

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Hmm If I eat with fork and knife i never put the knife down unless I reach for the glass. I don't usually switch hands mid eating that I'm aware of...? May have to keep more of a close eye on it because yours sounds like it might be Knigge-conforming but I'm not SURE I do it.
    idk but point is I do use my right hand dominantly for eating with one utensil, and do use the ettiquette conforming version of two-utensil-wielding, including fork and spoon and so on.
    I think I hold stuff in my left hand more often, while I use stuff more with my right hand.

• Like x 1
  2. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

now I'm thinking about driving. I can drive easily with just my left hand since I can drive stick and that requires your right hand to be free (North American cars only of course) - but I can also drive easily with just my right hand. If I'm doing something while driving - drinking, eating, finding music, smacking someone - usually I've got my left hand on the wheel and my right hand doing whatever. biking, on the other hand, if I'm doing one-handed steering it's my right hand on the handlebars - my left has very little control.

instrument anecdata: played piano since age 3 (though out of practice), played clarinet, trumpet, trombone, recorder, and a wee little bit of ukulele. i can barely wrap my head around a 4-string fingerboard - 6 or more is right out, my brain just kinda fizzles. i can handle bass guitar okay though.

• Like x 1
  3. Key

Key never make a triangle

I'm right-handed, not diagnosed with anything but have various symptoms of anxiety, depression, and autism. I don't draw (I'd probably be good at it if I would practice but I don't care enough to) or write, and I'm not sure what exactly Elai means by craft but I'm pretty sure I don't do that, either. I was a decent pianist back when I practiced for hours every day. I hate math. I can handle most utensils with my left hand but haven't figured out chopsticks yet.

• Like x 1
  4. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

ooh! chopsticks! I use chopsticks right-handed. my dad (lefty) uses them left-handed. he went to Beijing on a business trip and his colleagues there looked at him like he was NUTS. XD

• Like x 3
  5. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

@Kaylotta I cannot use chopsticks with my right hand! I have to use my left hand for them haha. In some cultures eating with your left hand is actually verboten! It makes a lot of sense, because the left hand is the 'unclean' hand, i.e. the one you use to wipe yourself with, but that makes it double awkward for me when I'm invited to eat at my Sri Lankan friend's house. I eventually learnt to incompetently eat with my right hand for those situations, and it drives me mad. But I'd rather lose my dignity than insult my hosts, so I make do.

• Like x 2
  6. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

I eat both American and European, depending on how fancy I feel. I cannot use chopsticks. I suspect I am Too White.

Also realized that I picked up driving leftie when I started having nerve pain problems in my right hand. Compensating brains are really interesting!

• Like x 1
  7. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

I can never remember the difference between American and European utensil protocol, and I don't really care, anyway - I've always used utensils weirdly. Seems to be an exec dysfunction thing: switching from one thing to another is much harder than repurposing the thing-in-use, so if I can possibly do whatever new thing is required using the thing that's already in my hand, then I will. (This applies to any tool, not just cutlery.) Chopsticks, however, I can only use right-handed, which I'm guessing is because of my overall extreme right-handedness + the dexterity required to use chopsticks.

Aaaaand now I'm craving Asian food. THANKS GUYS

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice