Animal Sightings

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ephemeramuse, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Saw a black and white cat looking at koi yesterday on a walk! There were many koi in many patterns. Kitty would not come say hi although we called and cajoled.

• Winner x 4
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Slightly belated, but:
    There are rose bushes in front of the lab window and on friday FAT LITTLE YOUNGLING BLACKBIRDS were chilling in there. Dad came by every hour or so to feed them it was adorable. Picture forthcoming once I can be arsed to get up and get my cellphone.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    • Winner x 5
  3. inchwyrm

inchwyrm I wear the cheese

Spotted a couple of linnets down the lane today! They seemed to be a male and female pair, and the male was sat right in the sunlight so his lil red breast was lit up like a beacon! I was very excited bc I have never seen a linnet before and good good birds make me happy. :')

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

At the plaza by the water. So many people walking their dogs! Someone in a power wheelchair with a very tiny dog, tiny legs going v fast. They came back around again and i think she was carrying the dog this time :3

Also a golden retriever passed me, many dogs

• Winner x 2
  5. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. Everett

Saw a deer while taking the long way home. Luckily she was just standing on the other side of the road and didnt like come barrelling into the car to destroy the entire planet

Also closer to home i saw a catto in a driveway. Ive seen that cat before, i think. Looked floofy

• Winner x 4
  7. inchwyrm

inchwyrm I wear the cheese

Just discovered a wood pigeon has made a nest on top of a fence in our garden. Which is... not the most sensible place? But regardless I am excited for pigeon babies!! :D

IMG_4456.JPG

(The photo really doesn't get across just how bizarre a place for a nest this is...)

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 1
  8. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I planted my runner bean seedlings out last week, and as I was tying them to the bamboo canes, a woodpigeon came and landed literally right on the other side of the bean frame. She was so close I literally could have reached out and touched her through the canes, and I looked right into her gold-ringed button eye for the longest minute.

It was a hot day and the birdbath is right next to that patch, so I guess she was there for a drink before it properly registered that I was right there and she lost her nerve? I love them, they're cute as heckie, but they don't seem like the brightest birds we get in our garden XD

• Winner x 5
  9. Everett

I saw some stray(?) dogs yesterday when i was travelling for work

This probably stray corg was v cute and was one of 3 doggos following a small child around, and is chasing after her in this pic but obvs cropped for privacy. Seemed scared of most of the adults present tho :( including me, im sorry doggo u_u did not mean to scare.
    20170625_141731.jpg

The other 2 dogos following the kid
    20170625_141532.jpg
    The yellow dog had husky-type blue eyes, and accepted chips from another kid.

Dog snifs the junior dog. This doggo was held by one of the people who was also visiting the small town these pics are from. She petted the puppy, and played with some of the younger kids hanging around. The pupper had a collar but i have no idea if she (the dog) has people taking care of her?

Attachment-B754605C-A978-4786-AA6D-2FA0FB74B76A.jpg

Puppy time
    20170625_141606.jpg

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  10. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yesterday I did some birdwatching on the loch while I had an ice-cream and saw a sort of duck(?) I don't think I have seen before. It had a grey body and a brown face and a black crest on its head.

A few days before in the same spot I saw a funny looking swan(goose) to be fair to me it was standing just behind a group of six or seven swans. White and orange bird= swan

Other birds there were lots of: coots and mallard ducks

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  11. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Saw a cormorant in the sea with a feesh. Clever birb.
    And a couple of ravens having a minor barney on a roundabout.
    ...And tons of seagulls but seagulls aren't news. xP

• Winner x 2
  12. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

there is some sort of very small wren living in our backyard and she is v. rude but I love her. her name is jennifer wren.

• Winner x 2
  13. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Might be some sort of merganser?

• Agree x 1
  14. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh man I missed this and meant to say. I did some poking about on a bird identifying site and mystery bird seems to be a great crested grebe.

• Winner x 3
    • Informative x 2
  15. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

image.jpeg I forgot to ask if the place I just moved into had any pets so surprise, I'm living with a doggo for the first time in my life!
    His name is Albus, he's a poodle mix
    I love him

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 3
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I love him too, please pet

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

A lot of pet has happened, and toy wrestling. He's a very good boy, but sometimes v excitable when i am not as ready for jumping excitement.
    also i for some reason have no power over dogs. i've never met a dog that knows commands that will do the commands when i say them. i have no power to make the dog sit.

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I held a firefly the other day! They hover and move pretty slowly so I just kinda put my hand under it and gently picked it up. It sat there for a bit and cleaned its face before launching into the air again.

I saw a bat the other evening as well! No idea what kind, but it was hunting in the back parking lot at dusk. Thank you, bat friend, for eating bugs and keeping their populations in check.

Other sightings: many dogs on walks, including very large St. Bernard and small excited poodle, a very handsome male cardinal, lots of bunnies, and a crow family investigating a fallen branch.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  19. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

Went out to the island in the harbour the other day. Cool animal count:
    2 red squirrels
    2 v friendly peacocks who were remarkably okay with eating food from your hand but less ok with being petted
    Several baby shelducks, plus decidedly unconcerned shelduck parents
    Baby terns trying to fly, adorable af
    Uncountable sandwich terns, who have great hair but are very noisy
    Some adorable wading birds including at least 2 avocets, who have the most snooty little beaks
    Something that may have been a spoonbill

The day after that, saw a doe in the woods while walking the dog. The dog, fortunately, did not see the doe

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  20. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Saw a black-and-grey bird, I think a magpie? picking at a trash bag today. And some sort of rodent on the subway tracks.

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice