Animal Sightings

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ephemeramuse, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I want a husky. I grew up with huskies and shepherds. But I live in an apartment.

Yesterday in Target I saw the dog of my dreams. It was essentially a miniature husky. It looked exactly like a husky, but it was about half the size of one. Standing up on its back feet it put its paws on my stomach. (It was friendly!) Its human told me it was half husky and half Pomeranian (it was much bigger than a Pomeranian). Now I don't know where I am going to find one, but that is the doggo I want.

I also need some cats, as I am currently catless.

• Winner x 2
  2. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@cryptoThelematrix I thought it was going to be half corgi like this one! Corgis seem to be involved in so many "miniature" versions of dogs.

3. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Nope, this dog had husky proportions, not short legs like that. Although that dog is also cute, the dog I saw was SO PRETTY.

• Like x 1
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's because corgis/dachsunds/basset hounds/etc. all carry the same recessive gene for dwarfism that's been kicking around the canine gene pool for thousands of years. Every single known dwarf dog breed has this same mutation. Researchers think it only happened once, so every dog carrying it on the entire planet is descended from one specific dog. So if you cross a corgi with a non-dwarf dog that happens to have one copy of the the dwarfism allele, you have a 50% chance it'll have li'l stumpy corglegs.

• Informative x 3
  5. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Isn't dwarfism a dominant trait? If so, you'd always end up with lil stumpy corglegs.

6. LadyNighteyes

...Oops, double-checked, you're right, it's dominant. (Though it's not the same gene that causes dwarfism in humans.) But you can still get tall corg crosses:
    tumblr_inline_opg8wnhg5P1sodq3u_400.jpg
    (Presumably the corgi parent was heterozygous for corglegs.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Winner x 4
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Tall corgi is very cute?? Oh my gosh

• Agree x 7
  8. LadyNighteyes

• Informative x 3
  9. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Went to aquarium yesterday! Saw many good sharks and other good fish. If I manage the spoons I shall share pictures later

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 1
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I saw cloned mice and newly-hatched chicks at the Museum of Science and Industry today!

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  11. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

1051C1A2-04EF-4600-97BF-E0712F241AF2.jpeg

• Winner x 1
  12. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

...is that a koala?

13. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

No it’s a cat. I would have gotten closer but the cat would run off every time I tried.

• Like x 1
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Encountered a one eyed cat while walking around on a phone call with my mom. Was mrrowwed at a couple times, but i didnt want to pet in case the cat got upset. Also saw several dogs, including a group of like three people walking like five dogs between them

• Like x 2
  15. Everett

Brork börk
    The dog speaks to their human, outside of the frame and also outside of this coffee shop
    20171014_145620.jpg

Edit: oh and also on wednesday, ducks

20171014_150145.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  16. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

OMG someone brought their dog to church tonight and he was this just massive gray mastiff looking thing and he was gentle as a newborn kitten and he came over to say hi to me and I guess caught a whiff of Cat Smells and he just went into full "omg! smells! new friend smells!" mode and just started rubbing his face all over my jeans legs and my backpack and huffing cat smells and wagging his entire back half and it was so great.

And then I came home and the cats got to huff Dog Friend Smells off my backpack, so now they're happy too.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Today was Black Lab Day, I saw many out for walks

Also a very cute collie with three white feet and one gray one

• Winner x 5
  18. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Having reported a post or two, here's my "Okay, thanks, sorry for the inconvenience" tribute. :p
    [​IMG]
    She's wearing a bow tie! Also she barks at people to get them to pet her. Which is pretty counterproductive.

• Winner x 3
  19. Everett

On friday i think, my coworker brought her Smol pomeranean/??? mix named Coco, and the bean was Angery and sort of vibrated at Too Many Strange People, Why Are We Here, Human???

• Like x 4
  20. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I saw a Wading Bird of some sort on my way to the store? Tol Brown Friend, I will have to google for specifics when I have a real monitor in front of me again. I really hope he wasn't trying to hunt in the water treatment lagoons =/

Edit: Google suggests a sandhill crane, albeit a mildly lost one who should be somewhere upstate.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice