Animal Sightings

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ephemeramuse, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Saw a black puppy of indeterminate breed out for a walk on my way to work today.

• Winner x 2
  2. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

BLACK POMERANIAN IN A HANDBAG ON THE TRAIN!!

• Winner x 5
  3. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Saw a tiny 9 week old corgi pupper in a shopping cart at Michael's with her little blanket and chew toy :'3 Got to pet her and she wiggled and then gnawed on me with little needle teeth. BLESSED!!!!!!!!!

• Winner x 6
  4. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I saw a calico kitty hanging out outside her house in a loaf watching the early trick or treaters in old town. Didn't have phone so no pics. She looked supremely unimpressed.

• Like x 3
  5. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Many an birde
    Our garden is regularly visited by:
    • A gang of sparrows who are tiny hooligans whom i love and support
    • assorted tits, who don't afraid of anything and yell at me if I'm in the garden while they wish to be there. Great tits and blue tits both
    • Wood Pidgeons! P sure they're a bonded couple, also pretty sure they're intimidated by the tits despite those being like less than a fourth the size of them
    • 2-3 Magpies, look to be a bonded couple and one of their older children on a visit maybe? Excessively elegant and pretty
    • A Jay who is pretty
    • both a green woodpecker (!!!!) and a spotted woodpecker (probably a great spotted woodpecker from where the red on the head is???) who are both ridiculously cute and beautiful
    • many many other baby birds, good children, lovely children, gods i adore birds

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

that's so nice

I love birds

WA birds that frequent my parents' house:
    • Juncos (bury seeds in all the plants)
    • Chickadees (intrepid and my faves)
    • Nuthatches (blue and orange, they crSpeep)
    • Pine siskins (sp?)
    • Evening grosbeaks (big and shy)
    • Stallar's jays (a bit too big for the feeder, it doesn't stop them)
    • Downy woodpeckers that love the metal roof
    • Towhees (vibrant rust/black/white colors)
    NY birds at my fam-in-law's place:
    • So many goldfinches
    • Cardinals
    • Chickacees (<3)
    • Rose grosbeaks (name might be slightly wrong, but they're black and white with magenta accents)
    • Sparrows
    • Grackles
    • Downy/hairy woodpeckers
    • Orioles
    • Bluebirds
    I wish we could have a yard and a birdfeeder, but. aparment life. sigh.

• Winner x 3
  7. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Usual visitors:
    -Blue jays
    -Starlings
    -American robins
    -Blackbirds
    -Ssssometimes sparrows but the jays and blackbirds chase them off
    -At least two bonded pairs of mourning doves
    -Crooooows, They Screm
    -There's also a pair of hawks nesting Somewhere out in the woods but they're not so much visitors as flybys :P

8. IvyLB

Tits >_>
    (Chickadee is also a fittingly dumb name, but the word tit is just so nice to say.)

• Like x 2
  9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I laughed!

I like the name 'chickadee' because it kind of sounds like what they say. They also have different patterns of saying it in different areas. In NY, they say "chickadee-dee-dee!"

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  10. IvyLB

I'm p sure that's literally why they're named that :P Onomatopoeia is fun and all :P
    Ours uhhhhh
    Oh hey wikipedia has good sound samples, let's just link those (The links are labelled "Hörbeispiel" bc German article)

• Informative x 1
  11. LadyNighteyes

My parents' house occasionally gets one or two Eastern/Rufous-Sided Towhees in the summer. When they do take up residence, they tell you nonstop to "drink your TEEEEEEAAAAAA~".

• Like x 3
  12. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I've seen some more deer just casually by the road/trail by the tiny dam with its 5 foot deep artificial lake

Also tiny squirrels! I'm used to the Large squirrels from where i grew up, which ive heard people here call "all these huge squirrels"

I hope those squirrels can become Lorg and fattened before it gets too cold :v form the squirrel pile, survive the winter pls

Also birbs:

• Uhhhhh just crows
    • Seagulls too
    • Probably some tiny sparrows?
    • American robins
    • A blue jay
    Edit: oh and theres a bird observatory that ive been meaning to go to, have this borb from their facebook page

Look at her lovely hat :3
    [​IMG]

Apparently theyve seen/recorded an oregon junco, oh man i never knew about All These Birds

And i thibk this is one of the birds that goes "peent" (edit edit: that bird sounds site says they in fact do not peent)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Winner x 2
  13. LadyNighteyes

Another sighting of the black puppy- I think it must live in my building.

Also saw a groundhog chilling out in the middle of a lawn I walk past on my way back from work.

• Like x 2
  14. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

@Saro aaaah I see most of those WA birb at my parents birdfeeder 'w' also there I often see flickers, who are absolute barbarians and can drill apart a suet block in one minute flat but they are large and good and handsome and often I see them in pairs with one patiently waiting its turn at the suet. bless.

Also when I was house sitting earlier in the year there a robin pair built a nest under the eaves outside my window and produced two clutches of screaming children <3

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    • Like x 4
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Flickers are very pretty, I love the red splotches they've got. A flicker at my parents' house last year spent every morning drumming on the roof, because it has great acoustics, I guess.

• Like x 4
  16. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Today a cricket got into the office. Well, I think it was a cricket. I didn't realize that crickets got that big (it was like an inch and a half long).
    I trapped it in a cup and put it outside so that it didn't get stepped on, and also so that we didn't get a literal bug in the machines. What is this, the 40s?
    Also, for some reason I couldn't get myself to refer to it as anything other than "a friend". I don't know why.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  17. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Met my (?)th cousin's dog, who i have seen pics of but never in person. He is become a Good Boy of many wags and i got to give him some treats. He met like 5 new people today and was a happy dog :3

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. iff

iff Well-Known Member

birb!
    rps20171122_165733.jpg
    rps20171122_170457.jpg
    uh heron? idk about birbs pleas help

• Winner x 4
  19. LadyNighteyes

Some sort of egret, probably. Which are technically a type of heron, so you're still right. :::PPP

• Informative x 3
  20. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

My guess would be a Little Egret, since they're the most common, but without seeing anything for size context or knowing where you are in the world...

• Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice