Animal Sightings

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ephemeramuse, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

There was a hummingbird outside my window this morning!

2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I was walking along a paved trail in my city and i saw:

A small black squirrel (i mean im in canada so it was probably a grey squirrel but anyway) playing?? With two crows. The squirrel would approach a crow or vice versa and they would sort of move out of the way like "no stahp" and the squirrel's tail was doing the thing where it sort of lashes. Anyway it was cute

Also! There were all these wildflowers along the path (some sort of orchid? Idk how to identify flowers and i didnt get a picture) and there were many bumblebees \o/ some of them had pollen pants and they would sometimes groom when they backed out of a flower. Also there was at least one honey bee so thats extra cute. I was on the phone with my mom the whole time and just going ":0 a bee... so smol... there she go, the pollen pants!" Or else i would have taken a picture

• Like x 3
  3. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

there are tons of cool animals around here :D i just moved out to wyoming from illinois, so there were a lot of birds and things i wasn't familiar with, haha.

my favorite sightings have been the northern flicker, the common grackle, and a squirrel trying and failing, repeatedly, to carry a mostly-empty jar of peanut butter up a tree, eventually going to another tree and leaving my poor neighbor with a lovely peanut butter jar in his yard when the squirrel dropped the jar among three very scary, really little pugs

• Like x 4
  4. inchwyrm

inchwyrm I wear the cheese

I was kinda sad today until I found this moth in my kitchen

image1[125574]1.jpg

I googled it and discovered that it's literally called a Snout. I... don't really know what I expected?? (Incidentally, there is a related moth called the Beautiful Snout and I am just. delighted.)

• Like x 10
  5. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

There's a small tribe of feral cats at the hotel I'm staying at here in Cyprus. They're all pretty friendly, eartip-clipped (thus spayed/neutered) and slim but healthy. I'll probably do some sketches and little bios once I get to know them better :)

Also there's a ton of little crabs, glass shrimp and tiny fish in the rockpools down by the shore, which makes me happy :p

• Like x 5
  6. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

There's a small gaggle of Egyptian geese that hang out near my workplace. When I came in today they were clustered around the windows to the canteen, honking like crazy. I'm concerned that they might try copying the swans, who periodically try to gain access to the building via the revolving doors.

• Like x 4
  7. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Turtles! :D IMG_1293.JPG IMG_1297.JPG

(These were taken out of the porthole of a moving boat, so plz excuse blurriness :3)

• Like x 6
  8. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

[Glados voice:] the other day I saw a deer

For real tho, saw a little group on today's walkabout in the park! Three adults, two more still growin' outta their spots, all browsing as you do at sunset :3

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Like x 4
  9. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Yesterday on ride home from work there was a very good dog. She sat under the seat, laid her head on my feet and took a nap until our stop and I just about died. Then when I was weeding in the garden I met a sweet fluffeh cat who was v friendly. I saw brown fluffy tabby out of the corner of my eye as she rubbed up against me and thought is was my Sonrisa, so I picked her up all like "Sun-suns, what are you do- ... you are not my cat." She just purred like, haha that's what you think. Apparently hubby had seen her yesterday and fed her. She's way too sweet and has a good body weight, so I don't think she's a stray. If she's still hanging around by the weekend I'm going to take her to my vet and have them check for a microchip.

• Like x 3
  10. Ryncoon

Ryncoon Well-Known Member

What happened today: I witnessed a blue jay go, quite distinctly, "Ack!!" upon dropping its peanut while flying to another tree. It them screamed in rage at the universe before retrieving it.

My blue jay buddy brought three youngsters to show them the way of the peanut. They sat on the roof above me and whisper songed adorably.

One of my squirrel buddies got so focused on chasing a chipmunk buddy out of my lap, he jumped up onto my chair and only then realized what he'd done. "I have made a very unwise choice." his eyes said, before he hopped back down. He's only just started to sometimes take a peanut from my fingers, so this was several steps too close for his comfort. Chipmunk left, though (with full cheeks.)

• Like x 7
  11. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Old sighting but when I was walking up a mountain trail in a temple in Japan, I met a forest kitty! So exciting, I bet she was magical :3
    image.jpeg

• Like x 10
  12. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

For a moment I was entirely willing to believe that that cat was just standing sideways on a tree.

• Like x 2
  13. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

xD sorry, image uploaded from phone, directions are difficult. she was on a slab of mossy stone

14. inchwyrm

inchwyrm I wear the cheese

Had a day out yesterday and saw so many kingfishers. I have literally never seen a kingfisher in real life and to see so many at once just left me completely awestruck because they're so uncommon where I live and just ahh??? Such delight!

Also saw my first ever water vole and they are absolutely adorable. They look like chubby water hamsters. :')
    Screenshot (4).png

• Like x 3
  15. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

So I googled the leaf hopper to see what it looked like, wow you weren't kidding about that bug being bright! I can't believe that's a real bug.

Edit: oops not sure what happened that was supposed to be a reply to @Saro sorry.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    • Like x 1
  16. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i was taking the shuttle bus to school yesterday and a deer was standing by the side of the road. this is noteworthy enough, but it was also blep-ing
    it was adorable

• Like x 3
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

For anyone who's curious about the leafhoppers, here's a pic:

[​IMG]

• Like x 6
  18. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

it looks like a pokemon XD super neat.

19. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Customer just brought doggos in!

One pug, one french bulldog, both super happy to be here and meet new people and smell new smells.

• Like x 1
  20. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

It's that time of year where we get a bunch of daddy-long-legses invading our flat. This little guy came and sat on my bag while I was knitting.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice