Animal Sightings

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ephemeramuse, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I saw SO MANY unusual birds going to the pharmacy yesterday. Something bright blue (mountain bluebird??), something bright red/orange and black (vermilion flycatcher, maybe?), many a small unidentified wren/vireo....

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

We don’t get many mountain birds usually, but in neighborhoods with tall trees there are blue jays!

And if the orange/red and black bird was in a somewhat similar type of area, if might also be an Oriole?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  3. shmeed

shmeed plant me

yesterday i was walking my dog
    there's a complex that usually has a rabbit in the yard
    yesterday there were three baby rabbits, all of whom thought the wisest course of action to escape the predator pair was to run in our direction before getting out of reach
    (no bun was harmed, my dog is quite old and could not catch the whippersnappers)

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 3
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

It looked too much on the red side to me to be an oriole, but too orange and black to be a cardinal, so that was my guess, but I didn't get a great look at it (shy birds please I just want to see you better don't hide from me) so it's definitely a possibility.

The blue bird did not have a crest and was a very intense blue, more so than the blue jays I've seen, so I'm thinking not a jay.

• Like x 1
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Depending on where you live, could also be an indigo bunting. They're extremely blue.

• Informative x 1
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

It could have been! Looks like they're confirmed in the area and "fairly common" in spring.

• Like x 1
  7. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

There's a very big, very very friendly tomcat hanging about my porch the last couple of days. He headbutts my leg hard enough that I have to correct my center of gravity whenever I go outside. I want to pet this good kitty but he's got all these scabs around his face and ears?

Google says it's probably an allergy but I'm worried about mange. I'd whisk him to my vet, bet I don't know even if I could formulate a treatment plan if he'd stick around long enough to get it, and I don't want to steal someone's kitty.... :(

• Witnessed x 1
  8. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Could you take a picture of him and show that to your vet, get some sort of first impression?

9. Lizardlicks

Skin problems usually need for the vet to take a skin scraping of the affected area. Only way to see the mites that cause mange is to look for them under a microscope. And a common allergen component, flea dirt, would also be found with such an exam.

I don't think they have the same allergen tests as they do for humans though. Most vets I know process-of-elimination it. Which is where it would get tricky.

• Informative x 1
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

A friendly dog out for a walk noofed my leg yesterday and surprised me. The walker apologized profusely but it was fine, just a wet nose on the back of my knee that was unexpected.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  11. versi2

versi2 ???????

Feral kittens and their apparently tame mom! Trapped them over the last couple days

IMG_20180601_131247-02.jpeg

• Winner x 9
  12. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

time to socialize them kittens! Do you plan on keeping them or will they go foster care?

13. versi2

versi2 ???????

A lady from the a local pet store gave me advice on how to catch them, and she works with a rescue and I'm talking with her now about getting them into that. We might foster the kittens ourselves, might not. We were expected only 2 kittens so 4 is more than we prepared for. We also borrowed a cat trap from the local shelter and they do free TNR and would probably take the kittens so that's an option, we're still working things out haha. It's been a little chaotic

• Like x 1
  14. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

that one peeking out over the litterbox edge!!!! :swoon:

• Agree x 7
  15. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

So when I went out to water the garden the other day, I had two (2) Encounters!

Encounter 1 - managed to snap a decent pic of the extremely red damselflies we get at our planter-pond! Like, the picture isn't even properly conveying just how Red these guys are. They're like carved ruby brooches.

DSC_0136.JPG

Encounter 2 - got to witness the first evening song of one of the fledgling song thrushes who seem to have a nest in our taller hedge. Snapped blurry cryptid photo of head fluff and screm

DSC_0139.JPG
    (why he screm)

I like our critters a lot :)

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 2
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

New cat alert new cat alert!

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 2
  17. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

A frandly stranger... or a new friendo?

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I hope a new friend........ pls come back to the apt parking lot soon, Affectionate and Energetic Tabby Friend

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  19. Lizardlicks

Marmot.
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 6
  20. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

TINY BOSTON TERRIER PUPPY WHO KEPT SNEEZING

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice