Animal Sightings

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ephemeramuse, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

i saw a deer in someones yard as i was driving thru a part of town i hadnt been thru before?? Or rather down a road out by the highway. The deer seemed sort of smaller than i expected and there may have been crows on the lawn too? It definitely moved so it wasnt a statue or decoy. But yeah! Very brief drive by deer sighting. Can you tell i'm a city kid lmao ive seen deer in person like five times in my life

• Like x 3
  2. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Dude once I saw a shetland pony in someone's inner city postage-stamp front yard - never question drive-by sightings XDD

• Like x 3
  3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I admit to being super jaded towards deer because I grew up on an island with a metric shitton of deer. You can't drive the five miles from my parents' house to town without seeing deer. They like to eat my mom's plants that are supposed to be distasteful to deer. We get moms with fawns coming through the yard all the time in the spring/summer. The fawns are pretty cute, especially when my parents' cats are outside, because they're very interested in them and creep closer and closer... till the cat moves and then the fawn goes sproinking off. They jump very well.

Edit: And because the population is isolated, there's a lot of inbreeding, so the deer are small and many of them are partially white (we call them pinto deer). There are definitely some genetic abnormalities that are becoming spread through the population.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like x 3
  4. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Ah man, that reminds me of the albino squirrel that lived in our neighborhood for a while! he was a real far traveler, my friend on the other side of town would see him in her yard as well. I love animals with weird pelt patterns owo seems so cool

also! there's some squirrels living in the live oak I can see out of my dorm's window, I"m glad they're there. They're gray squirrels so even though they're thinner and less fluffy than the gray squirrels back home in minnesota it still feels a bit like home.. i just love having leaf-dappled sunlight coming in through a window and seeing squirrels running around.

• Like x 2
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

There was a squirrel nest right outside my dorm window at WWU, it was a lot of fun. I had had no idea that squirrels made nests like that until I saw it! I thought they all lived in hollow knotholes. Thanks, Felix Salten.

• Like x 1
  6. blue

blue hightown funk you up

image.jpeg

I met this friendly(?), doleful looking dog today outside an Apple Store. I know you're not supposed to approach strange dogs, so I very tentatively put my hand out to him, and when he seemed ok with it I scritched his head. This dog was supremely indifferent. He did not care at all. In a few minutes, his owners came back out of the Apple Store and he still did not look much more excited. :P

• Like x 2
  7. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I met a goat in petsmart today! he was very young and very soft.

• Like x 4
  8. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  9. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Not really sightings if it's expected, but I did go to the barn my friend and I volunteer/ride at weekly! I'm riding a Tennessee Walking Horse named Jaac, and then after riding lead a pony named Maple in circles for a 6 year olds' birthday party c| lots of fun! They have 6 baby goats this year and a baby miniature horse, as well as a 2 year old mini donkey.

• Like x 3
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Saw a rabbit and the prettiest longhaired calico cat in the courtyard of our apartment! So beautiful, so refined. Where do you belong, beauteous cat? Our apartments are pet-free.

• Like x 3
  11. inchwyrm

inchwyrm I wear the cheese

Saw some really adorable moorhen chicks yesterday! This was a delight in and of itself, but then I noticed the moorhen parents were rushing around after their lil toddling babies and making sure they were all fed, and it was just so perfect I nearly cried. Such good bird parenting. :')

• Like x 1
  12. iff

iff Well-Known Member

rsz_img_20161023_121927-2.jpg
    Find the friendos :3
    edit:less huge image

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    • Like x 3
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Shark caaaaat! It's Gobi the neighbor's cat!!
    image0.jpg

• Like x 7
  14. blue

blue hightown funk you up

ITS HEAD IS SO ROUND

15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

It is! He is a sweetheart and I'm so happy that his family let him roam the neighborhood in his costume.

16. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

He however looks less happy about the costume situation.

• Like x 1
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

According to my partner, who was the one to witness the miracle event, he was his usual self (he likes to roll on my partner's feet).

• Like x 1
  18. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

A crow realized i was taking pics and left

IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1418.JPG

• Like x 2
  19. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Saw a lot of dinosaurs herring gulls at the beach this weekend. Also oystercatchers, sand pipers, and an unfortunate coldwater sea hare (I'm not sure of the exact species and google isn't helping) who we found struggling in tide line washed up the beach. It didn't seem too late for it, so me and my friend braved the freezing november English Channel to put him back at a depth that hopefully he wouldn't get washed out again XD

Do lots and lots of dogs count? Also do fossils count because that's why we went down south this weekend :3

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    • Like x 2
  20. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Lots and lots of dogs definitely count.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice