Anime club

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by liminal, May 9, 2015.

1. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

i never watched lucky star and today ive been watching it and... i see why it was so popular? its silly, slow paced, relaxing. been a nice soothing watch.

also re-watched the rest of konohana kitan with a friend and god that show is gay.

• Like x 2
  2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ascendance of a Bookworm: I'll Do Anything to Become a Librarian is an adorable journey of a bookaholic who suddenly gets sent to an alternate reality that is set in a vague "long, long time ago" past, where only nobility, military, and the rich have access to books and writing

It's very cute and the plot tends to drag, but if you like books and making them, you'll probably enjoy it! It's de-stress fun but also feels kinda like the whole show is filler episodes even though it never strays from the main plotline lol

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I love that one

• Agree x 1
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Anyone else checked dorohedoro yet? It's weird but I love it! Obligatory heavy gore and extreme violence CW, but nothing sexual.

Basic plot as far as I can tell is there are sorcerers living in an alternate dimension, who use magic individual to them called smoke, and it can do a lot of different things. They use dimensional doors to go to a city called Hole and practice their magic on regular humans. One of said humans is named caiman, he is an experiment gone wrong who's head has been turned into a lizard's and he is constantly searching for the sorcerer who did it, killing many on the way.

It's very fun and the art style is unique in that it's not your regular skinny, big eyed, and sparkly bishoujos and bishounens. Most all characters are really beefy actually. Also the fight animations are very *chef's kiss*

• Informative x 1
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hhh I just finished Dorohedoro's first season and I'm just *distressed Deresto noises* but also the pinky promise is Good.

Also, final ep background art is very heavily leaning post-apoc and honestly I'm here for it

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Like x 1
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I'm watching pretty much the entire back catalog of anime on Netflix that I haven't seen yet if it seems remotely appealing. I don't like slice of life, but drama without absurdity can get a little too heavy pretty fast.

I enjoyed the hell out of Black Butler. It's very morbid, but it never forgets to also be extremely, gleefully weird. Dark but fucking hilarious. I just can't not love a show that goes out of its way to comfort the audience with Hamlet, the most comforting of plays! It knows exactly what it's doing, has all along, and will prove it with a Hamlet disaster.

I think I would have liked Code Geass more if I'd ridden the hype train.
    It's entertaining, but I don't think about it when I'm not watching it. Mostly I think the main character is a huge jerk. That is interesting, but this show was super popular when House was still on air. It's not that I don't have use for that character trope anymore or anything like that, but maybe I would have been a little less skeptical about how it's conveyed. I'm glad we seem like we got the gist of the worldbuilding over with pretty fast because it's sorta uncomfortable in a bunch of different directions at the same time, but most of those details don't actually need to be what they are for the story to work. Maybe it would help to know either more or less Japanese history, or it will make more sense as the show goes on, I dunno. Mostly I just wanna watch the rest of Code MENT and understand the jokes if I'm honest. Also I'm out of Black Butler available on Netflix. I would have been up for fucking sushi hijinks or whatever, sign me up. Look, my taste is very... my taste.

7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I've been watching Interspecies Reviewers with my boyfriend lately. And it's...actually genuinely good? It's just a really fun hentai comedy series with some legitimately good world building. Like I am genuinely surprised by the level of care these people took into an anime that is just Peak Culture. There's also this nice tone of like 'It doesn't matter what sort of shit you're into! Everyone's got their tastes and that's cool, bro!' If you're someone who likes hentai or who is just a kinky bastard I'd give it a solid thumbs up. This is honestly some of the most fun I've had with a comedy series in a bit.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Saw a trailer for Cells At Work S2 and I'm looking forward to it.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Started watching Ascendance of a Bookworm recently (had heard of it and thought it was a cute concept initially but then didn't take the plunge till Mother's Basement rhapsodized about the micro-type worldbuilding, I'm a slut for good worldbuilding) and it's cute and fun so far :>

• Agree x 1
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Anyone else keeping up with Tower of God? The anime adaption, not the webcomic (which I haven't read yet)

The cliffhangers are so choice, and latest ep is especially bullshit and I love it.

11. TheMockingCrows

today is "Have Feelings About Sailor Cosmos" day apparently.

Hnghhhhhghghkgfhkljfdlkjglfdkjgdf. :clings to manga and the brief anime appearance and cries about the implications for Usagi and her entire life and reality: ;c;

12. TheMockingCrows

I started watching SCHOOL-LIVE! and Goddamn:mpsa:

zombies, schoolgirls and questionable reality, Oh My. Apparently the manga is done too, so I can just pick up where I left off in the anime when I'm done. I'm only two episodes in so far and I'm enjoying it though!

• Agree x 1
  13. TheMockingCrows

WHAT A FUCKING RIDE. Loved it. Highly recommend. I wanna read the manga too eventually.

There is indeed pet death.

• Informative x 1
  14. TheMockingCrows

Finally finished Hands Off Eizouken. Raised it up to 4 stars from 3, but i'd give it a 3.5 if I could do halves. Still a great idea, decent show, the pacing is good, I just.. I don't know, I didn't feel that engaged with it at all, or that attached to the characters. Maybe I just wasn't the target audience? As an artist though I kind of thought I would be. :< Oh well.

• Informative x 1
  15. Aondeug

A lot of my enjoyment of Eizouken was based around heavily relating to one of the characters. The gremlin with the hat. Like that's My Process there. The rest was from marveling at Yuasa's animation when you saw it and seeing the talents of many other animators, some of whom are new to the business. Like you could tell that the dance scene in their last short film was a Yuasa bit of animation. It has his very American rubberhose inspired fluidity to it and it is straight out of one of his films, Lu on the Wall. Which seem to be the two big target audiences for it. Animators or animation fans who can name individual Japanese animators based on their quirks and people who are themselves artists who will see themselves in one of the central three. I'm also a massive Yuasa fan and would honestly watch 10 minutes of him animating someone trying to blow their nose and nothing else just because I love how his shit flows.

In terms of stuff I'm watching...My boyfriend and I are watching the first season Megalobox. The dub. It's pretty ok so far. We're four episodes in and intend to doing two at a time till we're through with it. I'm needing something else to watch myself privately with Japanese and no subs on. Not sure what right now but I'll likely just look through shit and pick one and be like fuck it we're watching Kakegurui with no subs.

I've been reading through Re:Zero. I'm 6 volumes into the series now. Once I get through volume 9 I will have caught up with where the anime left off. I've watched the first two episodes and while they were nice I will think about whether or not I'm going to keep watching it right now. I honestly kind of just want to keep reading it and eventually catch up to where the ranobe are in English. Which is...13 volumes. 14 will be coming out sometime this year too. Japan is up to volume 23. Given where the ranobe in English are now and given how season 1 blew through 9 volumes' worth of material I am thinking that season 2 of the anime is going to outpace where the English ranobe readers are. Man.

GOT TO GET BETTER AT READING SO I CAN READ THEM IN JAPANESE ONLY.

In terms of what it is...overall it's a good series and one made with care and love. Not sure how the anime is beyond the first episodes I saw but people liked it so I'm guessing it's a good adaptation. I'd say give it a look if you hate isekai protagonists or if you have ever had to realize you're the toxic friend and you are the one who needs to change. Also give it a look if you like isekai.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  16. TheMockingCrows

Gave up watching "My Sister, My Writer" the series so bad it had a cry for help written in its credits. I made it through 3.5 episodes. The next episode was a beach episode and I just. I couldn't go on. If your beach episode is gonna be a slog, you know your series is bad. The sister is failsauce, the brother sucks, the stalker friend is mildly entertaining, the manager is weird. I wasn't attached to anyone except Ahegao Double Peace, the illustrator. And even that was a tenuous attachment. It wishes it was "A sister's all you need" or "Eromanga Sensei" and just... fails.

good for popcorn throwing if anything.

• Useful x 1
  17. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Adding to the list of manga that you shouldn't read while hungry: Suito-To. Instead of recipes like Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan, this one is about restaurants in Fukuoka, Japan, which is almost a more painful topic right now because of COVID-19.

18. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

Anyone here watch The Disastrous Life of Saiki K? I finished watching it over a week ago, and I'm still really heavily in that "must consume more of the content" zone. I also just started Gintama, which I know will eventually get me invested, which will loosen the hold that Saiki K has on me...but I'm just not there yet.

It's a gag comedy. Its premise is simple: Kusuo Saiki is a high schooler who just wants to live a quiet life and be left alone. Unfortunately, his annoying friends, and his even more annoying psychic superpowers, make that impossible. Every episode he has to get himself and/or his friends out of some fiasco while keeping his identity as an esper a secret.

Before I knew it, I got totally sucked into it. I started spending all of my free time only on watching new episodes. I think it's like...the consistency in comedy quality? The premise is evergreen and there's not a single bad skit. And also you kind of start to root for Saiki after a while. He really could use a break. And maybe a little more emotional honesty about his feelings towards his friends. But mostly a break.

If you're in the market for a comedy, I'd definitely recommend it. Do note that the viewing order is like this:
    1. Saiki K season 1
    2. Saiki K season 2
    3. Saiki K: Reawakened, episodes 1-5
    4. Saiki K OVAs 1 and 2 (also known collectively as "Kanketsu-hen")
    5. Saiki K: Reawakened, episode 6
    Saiki K: Reawakened is the Netflix only pseudo-third-season that adapts chapters from the manga that weren't covered in the original two seasons or OVAs. The first five episodes are set sometime within season 1 or season 2, and the sixth episode is set after the OVAs. I don't really know why it turned out that way.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the show has some EXCELLENT post-canon fic potential. Unfortunately there is not a lot of fic, 90% of what exists is shipfic, and 90% of the shipfic involves the main character, who reads so totally aroace that I just can't get into it

1. One side character who in real life would be called "an unsuccessful sexual predator", but in anime is just called a "pervert"*;
    2. One background character who is 100% a siscon.
    (* I'd say he's about 75% as bad as Mineta? He's less one-note, and more shit on by the narrative, but his understanding of boundaries and consent are equally bad.)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  19. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I love Saiki K. It’s one of the few slice of life comedies I enjoy, and it probably helps that the main tension is how much effort Saiki is putting into having the appearance of a normal high school life. It takes all his basically godlike power to maintain. He really does need a break.

• Agree x 1
  20. Aondeug

Finished My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom. Very cute show. Cute enough that I binged like all of it super fast and then got into the light novels. I would recommend this to people who like otome games, reverse harem, or yuri. It is not high art by any means but it is cute and fun. Catarina is dumb as balls and I can see why we call her Bakarina. She could have Mary go up to her. Straight up say I Love You and then french kiss her. And she'd probably still be like "Oh wow I guess we're real good friends! Wow!" It is charming. Everyone in it is charming. But especially Catarina.

Currently going through Revue Starlight. Just got through episode 3 again. Which continues to have one of the most hype fights ever. One that really, really gets how musical theatre works and how to evoke the feelings you get from seeing it in person but like. Through the unique advantages that animation provides you. Oh the stage doesn't make any damned sense and wouldn't be feasible irl? WHO CARES. THIS IS CARTOONS WE DO WHAT WE WANT HERE. If you really like musicals, weird Utena ass spectacle, and GIRLS then I would also recommend this.

Read I Love You So Much, I Hate You by Yuni. Which is a nice yuri manga about an office lady having an affair with her married manager. It's basically your standard yuri mixed with your standard office drama combined and done really, really well. If adultery based romances don't wig you out too hard I'd look into it. This is also a one shot story that's about 200 pages long. So it's not going to drag on and waste your time. This does mean that the characters aren't as developed as those in a serial but sometimes you just need to get through one nicely paced and contained story.

Currently reading Goodbye, My Rose Garden by Dr. Pepperco. Which is about a Japanese woman who moves to England in the Victorian era to try and become an author and to seek a world that is less shit to women. Needless to say. Things do not go peachy keen for her. Thankfully she runs into a very kind noblewoman who hires her as a maid and even promises to help her meet her author senpai. However she has a condition for the latter and that condition is to kill her. The manga is very melodramatic in a good way. It also deals with things like the homophobia and sexism of Victorian England and also Japan of the time.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice