Anime club

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by liminal, May 9, 2015.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Princess Tutu more like the only anime I legally own the full copy of.

I suspect a lot of people who haven't seen it have at least seen that one AMV. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9197GTl1ASg

2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

wut

#has never watched this particular anime

3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

There is a character named Caro who has the ability to summon dragons. These include the 'dragon god' Voltaire, who looks like this
    [​IMG]
    Caro summons him twice in the series.

ETA: Princess Tutu is amazing, and I love Rue. In fact my fantroll Iridie came about after I finished watching Princess Tutu!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    • Like x 1
  4. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Sieg counts; her trauma is from herself rather than externally imposed, but she counts.

5. KarrinBlue

Well, arguably it was imposed by the Jeremiahs who first made the whole passing-down-of-memories thing for their line, but that's nitpicking.

6. Exohedron

Right, but it still manifests as a world-of-cardboard, I-break-everything-I-touch type deal, as opposed to, for instance, what happens to the Project F kids.

7. KarrinBlue

Ah, that's what you meant. Yeah fair point.

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

why. why do i do this to myself. i knew rewatching hunter x hunter was gonna mess me up but HERE I AM ANYWAYS. hisoka is a nasty piece of trash, and i'm still hanging off his every word it's his damn design he's just so magical UGH. i also need him away from children forever.

and killua, oh man i can't. he just wants a friend, why does everything have to be so difficult.

and gon. GON. i could go on forever about this stubborn ass with a good heart.

i'm not even past heaven's tower yet. everything is bad and i love it.

• Like x 1
  9. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

I just started watching Utena. Normally I do not advocate violence but someone needs to kick Saionji in the balls for great justice.

• Like x 1
  10. swirlingflight

Yesterday I inflicted the readthrough of Hatoful Boyfriend. (Not technically an anime but I'm putting it here anyway). And today I borrowed their steam account version of the game to play it myself.

Fucking fatbird, man.

• Like x 3
  11. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

Did you go after that bird, or is this just a general statement? OwO

Also I recently marathoned Tiger & Bunny. It was cute, especially as I'm REALLY WEAK to stories about goofy dads trying to connect with their Bitter Teenager Children, like Kotetsu does with his daughter and Anime Batman i mean Barnaby. (A Goofy Movie was formative to me ok.)

It was also edge-of-my-seat tense-exciting, which no one warned me about! I do kind of wish there was more focus on the other heroes that kind of got skimmed over-- both the girls and Ivan get feature episodes!-- but it got a lot of stuff in to only 26 episodes, so I'm pretty pleased with it in general. C:

• Like x 2
  12. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Fatbird is the best. I love him dearly.

• Like x 1
  13. swirlingflight

General statement. I haven't gone for him myself yet, but oh god.

14. itsAlana

itsAlana let me tell you about the vorkosigan saga

You should definitely try to smooch the fat christmas bird. He's so jolly he ho ho hos! He's so festive and bright that he gets christmas music! Why, he's even one of the only characters who sends you presents! What a good partridge 10/10 would chirp at

• Like x 4
  15. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Friends came over to the new house this weekend and we marathoned Hunter x Hunter. I hesitate to recommend it here because it needs pretty much all the trigger warnings (off the top of my head without trying too hard to make a complete list: violence, gore, body horror, parental neglect, child abuse, creepy adult sexualizing a child, heartbreaking character death, sexist portrayals and lack of female characters (particularly early on), sexual predation (different from the earlier mentioned sexualizing, thankfully), misgendering, and I'm sure other stuff here and there).

So why do I recommend it anyway?

Well, a bunch of that stuff isn't treated as good or correct, some of it is pretty mild but I included because I'd rather be overly thorough, it gets better on some fronts as time goes on (author improvement, I assume), there ends up being really positive representation of trans characters (that a lot of subbers ignore, because clearly it's a mistake that the people who don't respect her use male pronouns, ugh), the characters are largely either charming and delightful or wonderfully terrible, the main character is one of the best problematic cinnamon rolls, the way powers work means there's a level of mental/psychological combat to the fights that most Shounen is just really bad at handling (cough, Naruto, cough), it actually inspired many other Shounen works (cough, Naruto, cough), it's all but canon that he and his "best friend" are in some kind of relationship although it's never stated outright and can be read in multiple ways, and the new anime is just utterly beautifully done with regards to visuals and sounds and general composition.

With regards to pedigree, it's by the same guy that did Yu Yu Hakusho.

There is a weird effect where everyone who watches it ends up finding that one of the three Big Arcs is just Clearly Superior but tend to fight over which it is. My listing goes Third > First > Second.

We watched the part where the Third picks up from "slow build that's maybe a bit dull" to "oh my god, what?" and we're not even at the parts of it I think are really good.

It's on Netflix up through episode 100, and Crunchyroll has all 148. If you like Shounen, at all, and think you can stand some of the above... I really recommend it. Truly think it's the best Shounen I've seen, certainly my favourite. Or, rather, ties with One Piece on both those fronts.

@liminal is this a good place for manga discussion, too? Many of the ones I read aren't anime (yet...) and/or have manga extending well past where the anime goes. Don't want to hijack this with other stuff, but also wanna rec things at people and have people rec things at me.

• Like x 3
  16. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

yep! Manga discussion is also good.

• Like x 1
  17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Gon is a precious problematic cinnamon roll fave and I love the little brat.
    It is a CREEPY AS FUCK show though, seriously. Mind the trigger warnings.

• Like x 3
  18. Greywing

Greywing Resident dead bird

HxH is very, very good. There's also a canon trans character. I did not expect to enjoy it, and only watched the first couple episodes after a lot of convincing (shonen is usually meh for me), but very rapidly became engrossed. It definitely has a lower proportion of female characters than it ideally would, but it's a fantastic show.

Currently, I'm watching Assassination Classroom, School Live, Ergo Proxy, and rewatching Shinsekai Yori (one of my faves).

• Like x 2
  19. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I kinda love Claymore, in the manga at least. Though I think it's declined a bit in quality recently, possibly it's gone past the creator's original plot? But it's a long, long way in now.

20. Exohedron

Wait, recently? I thought the anime was from 2007. Is there a new one?
    An anime of the post-Pieta stuff would be wonderful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice