Anime club

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by liminal, May 9, 2015.

1. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

7 deadly sins season 2 is now on netflix! haven't watched it yet, gonna do that over reading week/on the plane if they have wifi

• Like x 2
  2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hell yes, i know what im doing next time the tvs open!

• Like x 1
  3. kastilin

ok so there's only 4 eps on netflix, apparently this isn't season 2 but the setup for it which is ?????
    anyway false alarm, season 2 actually isn't out it's just new filler

i'm a sad inna now

• Like x 1
  4. kastilin

ok i've been watching one punch man because canadian netflix FINALLY got it
    sonic is my favorite currently mainly because he hits all of my Key Characteristics for faves:
    -rude jackass
    -creepy af
    -minor character
    -straight up just Leaves from fights

fake edit: that was an Enjoyable Anime (i finished before i hit post because i'm a forgetful idiot)

• Like x 3
  5. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

I've been rewatching Monster with a buddy of mine that's never seen it :3c I'm picky about my animes but I've always been fond of this one. Any other fans?

• Like x 3
  6. Peophin

Peophin Easily Distracted

HELLO YES LET US TALK ABOUT MONSTER /camps out in this thread

Monster is my favorite anime/manga EVER and I am incapable of talking about it without essaying for several thousand words. That is not hyperbole and I don't want to scare anyone off with my overenthusiasm here so YES HI HELLO I AM A FAN

• Like x 5
  7. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

ME TOO I'M ABOUT TO SPERG OUT

• Like x 3
  8. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

OH MY GOD YES MONSTER IS AMAZEBALLS. (Why do I not already live in this thread? Well, I'm here now.)

• Like x 2
  9. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

oops forgot I'd posted here owo; Anyways, just finished rewatching Monster with a buddy of mine who hadn't seen it before :'3 hurt my heart just as bad as the first time, nooooo. I will happily drool over any meta/yelling anyone posts about it!

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  10. Peophin

One of the things I love so much about Monster is that, despite dealing with some very heavy and depressing subject material, and being very dedicated to showing how terrible people can be, it's equally dedicated to showing the good in humanity. I think that's a big part of what sets it apart for me--I get the sense that a lot of other things like it just stick to the grimdark "people are awful" thing. Monster explores both sides equally and ultimately ends on a lot of optimistic conclusions.

That's one of the reasons I think the ending is perfect and will vehemently defend it from anyone who claims it's anticlimactic just because they don't realize what it's getting at. *slightly bitter about a few reviews*

It touches on a lot of Christian themes and imagery, and I get the feeling from his various works that Urasawa has a respect for the core concepts of what the religion is supposed to be about. There's a definite sense of "no sin is unforgivable" and "although they may or may not take it, everyone deserves to be given a second chance" from the ending. And I, being a completely clueless atheist, am no doubt missing a whoooole lot of the symbolism and would love to see something on this from someone who knows more about the subject than I do.

...anyone have thoughts/meta to add on this subject, or can I go ahead and sperg out and start psychoanalyzing Johan via long-winded essay. (I will do the essay regardless. But it will be EXTREMELY LONG so I figure I'll open up a potential discussion topic while I work on getting that together.)

• Agree x 3
  11. valenstyne

…there are people who complain about the ending?

But…like…but there's no other way it could end! I mean, I guess the planet could have exploded or a T-rex could have eaten the whole cast or something, but short of that kind of absurd twist I can't really imagine any possible conclusion that would have logically followed from everything up to that point.

Anyway, I agree on the religious/Christian symbolism (though being Jewish I can't say I know any more about it than that it's there) and definitely about how hard the series works to show how good people can be (the part with the ex-army guy and the little girl gets me every time). I may have more intelligent things to say when it's not 4 AM.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    • Agree x 3
  12. Peophin

I have honestly seen people who think the ending is anticlimactic and that Tenma should have shot Johan. Which misses the point completely, but I guess we have to have our epic Hollywood ending where the good guy kills the bad guy instead of thinking about what the story is actually saying, right?

• Agree x 2
  13. valenstyne

But if Tenma had shot Johan it would be completely counter to everything Tenma was and did in the entire series and *flails* :psyduck:

Did those people read/watch an entirely different series than I did, or what?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. Peophin

I have no idea. I think some people just don't bother looking past a superficial level. That's the only thing I can think of, because I admit I'm not entirely sure how you can get to the end and fail to realize that Tenma not shooting Johan was the only way to beat him.

• Agree x 2
  15. I watched the Terra Formars OVA yesterday. As cool as it is, it's also seriously dumb.

In the year 2599, they can terraform planets and send a ship to mars no problem, so why can't they send unmanned probes to fight the bugs? This is why you all got killed by overgrown cockroaches, you idiots.

• Like x 1
  16. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Restaurant Into Another World is like one of those tumblr threads that starts with "today I realised that the foods I eat every day would be like heavenly manna to people from the distant past" and goes on into "imagine a fantasy world where mysterious doors occasionally appear leading into a normal earth restaurant. it's been years by now and the owner is used to it." and then there's maybe a few story snippets and someone goes "omg someone make this series". Except then someone actually does make the series.

• Winner x 3
  17. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

Regarding Monster, I rewatched it recently with my partner (who'd never seen it) and like... I think one noteable aspect to me about it to me has always been Dieter. I loved Dieter as a supporting character, as a part of the greater plot, as someone who could see into the (often dark underbelly) world of children and as someone who was abused and survived and strove to reach out to others and support them even though he was so small and young and had been fed a world of shit first thing...

Something my partner said when we were watching it really struck me: 'Dieter surviving (his introduction episode) told me what kind of story this was going to be'. And I think that's true. My partner didn't know whether Dieter would survive his initial introduction episode. He is a kid Tenma goes in to try to help and he ... survives. And he comes along with him for a bit. He tags along. I think... it showcased sort of... the light/dark aspects of Monster. Monster can be grim, but it isn't merciless and unrelenting. In many ways, Monster is about the positive power and energy of people. About how people can reach out to each other and touch each other - about how people can choose to help others or not, how what they do has a real tangible effect on the world around them.

Also I think as far as shows go we have endless examples of abuse survivors dying to just be an 'oh so sad' type of scenario, to go 'well the world sure is brutal'. But Dieter doesn't. He's the plucky little abused kid who lives. He's a plucky little abused kid who lives and reaches out to another fucked up kid on a rooftop and says 'the world doesn't have to be like this'. He recognizes what it's like to have trauma colour who you are and helps Nina at her worst, even has things to say to Eva, constantly trying to support Tenma who is over his head, and he's so small. But even Dieter, small as he is has the power to help and change the people around him.

He's minor but I have endless love for Dieter tbqh.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

this post brought to u by 'mute's brain was wandering oddly last night and recalled an animu that they watched, like, ten years ago. once. and then had to google vague remembered bits for half an hour before finding its source'

anyone else ever see Haibane Renmei? I remember being pretty charmed by it even though it wasn't super My Thing

19. Birdy

Birdy so long

I always really wanted to watch it but I never did get around to it :0

20. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

Haibane Renmei is my partner's favourite anime p much. They showed it to me and I thought it was actually pretty nice. Dealt with themes of loss very nicely. Other themes as well but it's been awhile.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice