anyone else doing the bullet journal thing?

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by whyguy, Dec 27, 2016.

1. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

Mine's pretty dang messy. A few weeks' worth of days are in a format I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to change, not sure there's enough room in the journal I got for a whole page per day. Handwriting's hideous and there's gel-pen smudges. I have yet to throw the thing away in frustration intending to start over and then never doing it. Progress!

• Like x 2
  2. pinnedbutterfly

pinnedbutterfly *sparkles*

@OnnaStik mine's kinda messy too (and kinda plain) so far, but someone wrote that these journals are for us, not anyone else, so like. if you end up changing things b/c something ends up working better than something else, that's totally fine.

i'm not sure if i'm gonna have room in mine for a whole year's worth of stuff, either, so i'm aiming for six months at least. it probably helps that i'm also using a regular journal in addition to my bujo, since i still enjoy regular journaling at the end of the day.

side note: what pens does everyone like using? some people i follow on tumblr recommended staedtler's and i Love Them bc they don't smudge even tho i'm left-handed. i also have the zebra midliner highlighters to make things pretty, but i haven't used them yet.

edit: i'm p sure pens were discussed in the journaling thread but i'm not sure everyone in this thread was in that thread as well, which is why i ask

• Like x 1
  3. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

yeah, if I wanted to do just a fuckin' to-do list, I've got plenty of those. This year I want to be more consistently creative, improve my art and my sense of self-esteem, my mindfulness. Combat my depression, my anxiety. I can't make myself believe the inspo quotes about positive vibes and whatever, I'm too cynical and bitter, but I can write down my thoughts, doodle and color, keep track of shit that spirals away from me otherwise. My journal will be messy and not pretty enough for instagram, but it'll be me, irreverent and self-mocking and navel gazing.

• Like x 2
  4. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

I LOVE STAEDTLER PENS they are really expensive though so i only get them if i have coupons spilling outta my nostrils x___x i have some pilot g-2 pens that i kinda like but theyre 07 size and im more partial to 05, the thinner the better :") the color range is definitely really nice and as far as i can tell they don't smudge much. they were also DIRT CHEAP from staples, i think $10 for a pack of like 20? idr

ive also heard good things about stabilo pens but i havent used them or even looked them up so i have no clue what the price on that is

• Like x 1
  5. garden

garden lucid dreamer

My preferred (black, no fancy colors) pen is the Schneider Slider Memo XB - not that I know anything about pens, but it's one I can acquire easily at my local stores and it's served me well. I especially like it because it draws very nicely on skin, and I like to doodle on my hands/arms.

I am using a small notebook my friend had gifted me for my birthday for my bullet journal, and if I continue at the current rate, it definitely won't last a full year. Hell, it probably won't even last 4 months. If I'm still doing the bullet journal thing by the time it's run out, I might try and get a notebook with blank pages instead of lined, that way I could maybe do some fun/creative spreads and whatnot. For now I'm keeping it simple.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Like x 1
  6. pinnedbutterfly

@rats stabilos go for like 10 bucks for a $15 color set if you have amazon prime. i got my staedtlers from amazon prime for $8 for a pack of six, which now that i think about it probably isn't that good of a good deal, but it's worth it for me since it's been at least four months and i haven't run out of ink in my first one yet+the whole smudging thing.

as for notebooks, i have the black leuchtturm 1917 A5 with dotted paper+the pen holder as recommended by this one person who did a really cool how-to for bullet journaling, and it's p rad. granted, it was like $20 on amazon, but for something that will hopefully last me for 6 months and not get too battered by virtue of me carting it around everywhere, that's (hopefully) worth it, too.

i currently have my eye on the fancy 36 color staedtler set to make my journal even prettier, but that's gonna have to wait for about a month.

i also have washi tape and stickers. i frickin love washi tape and stickers. if i were a dragon, i would probably hoard both of those things (along with other school/office supplies bc i have loved things like that since i was v small).

7. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

This is my amazon shopping list for supplies in case anyone wants some goth shit for themselves. I'm especially all about the lace style washi tape.

I'm gonna shop around town this week for the very basics though, i.e. journal + pen + sticky tabs. Might be cheaper offline.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Like x 3
  8. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

dammit, amazon, stop tempting me with arts and crafts

• Like x 4
  9. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

I can't stop/won't stop buying cheap Chinese fountain pens from aliexpress. For less than a buck I can get a Hero 616 that is a clone of the Parker 51 and is the coolest kind of mid-century modern design.

I am 200% in love with this design. Did I mention they are LESS THAN A DOLLAR each?!

Hero616GroupCapped.jpg

Hero616GroupNibs.jpg

• Like x 7
  10. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

augh i have a giftcard for one of the bigger bookstores in town but the only dotted/actual bullet journal journals they have are moleskine (which are a. expensive and b. actually a bit too thick for my tastes - i do better with fewer pages at least when im starting out haha)
    i mean i could still get it but :( frustration

they also have tiny lil letter stamps and those are so tempting.

11. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

[​IMG]
    This is TOO FUN.

• Like x 8
  12. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

WHO INVITED FUCKING MOM MOM

• Like x 3
  13. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

• Like x 3
  14. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Those are very pretty :)

• Like x 1
  15. pinnedbutterfly

those stickers are So Nice....I want the work/study stickers.....

• Like x 1
  16. pixels

GUYS... THEY'RE SO CUTE... THIS IS MY AESTHETIC...

also i'm almost done catching up on... last week... when i didn't have my journals yet... then i gotta do this week which includes writing in the AGDQ schedule... but once it's all done i'll post pictures to my tumblr.

• Like x 4
  17. pixels

... weird question, but am i the only person ever who uses R as my single-letter abbreviation for thursday? this is also why my weeks start on sunday: not just because 1/1 was on a sunday this year, but because then my Ss are separated by five other days. #aesthetic

18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I do sometimes. I think I got it from my university's class registration system which uses T for Tuesday and R for Thursday.

19. whyguy

whyguy blarg

I may change it to that, tbh, and differentiate sunday and saturday as well

when I have planning entries, where I don't skip days, using the same letter for different days works fine, because there's context

but I'm gradually finding that my diary entries, which are sporadic, don't really... have that context xD; and it's getting confusing

20. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

I use theta for Thursday

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice