Arachnophilia

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by jacktrash, Feb 15, 2016.

?

favorite octokitten?

1. jumpers

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. orb weavers

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. tarantulas

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. trapdoor spiders

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. those cartwheel spiders that roll down sand dunes

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. other (splain!)

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

she sees a yummy fly

• Like x 1
  2. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I just made the tiniest friend ever. I tried to take a photo but it was so small it just looked like a spec of dirt on my hand. A little spider with a body about the size of a hair follicle, and legs that were so think I could only see them when it was moving. I let it run around on my hand for a bit after rescuing it from the mountain range of mum's bed, and then put it safely on the wall. I would have put it outside but I think it was a baby and it charmed me enough that I want it to get to grow up

• Like x 4
  3. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

There's a small funnel-building friend who lives in my prayer plant's pot!

I have no idea what species he is - I didn't even know there were british spiders with ground-style webs - but he's about as big as my thumb and pretty chill. I saw him when I was rearranging my plants, and suspect he only lives there I only put water in the plant's saucer, and never top-water it. I hope he survives alright in my room...

EDIT: After research, I believe my new roommate is a Garden Centre Spider (Uloborus plumipes)! This pleases me greatly :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    • Like x 2
  4. jacktrash

i rescued one that tiny from a glass of milk the other day. he must've been hiding in the glass in the cupboard. i put him in the compost bin where he can learn to catch fruit flies. :3

• Like x 1
  5. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

a friend from by the boat zone, hangin out between some upside down tiny boats

image.jpeg

• Like x 3
  6. jacktrash

the docks must be the best place for a web. just think of all the bugs getting blown across the water.

7. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

i saw that species at my friend's grad party when we were all meeting her goats!!

it was facing the barn and she doubled over from making herself laugh whenever she spideryelled at it

• Like x 2
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

When I went out on the Lake Guardian, that boat was filled with spiders. So many webs all over the place. The boat attracted all kinds of buggies at night, so the spiders probably had a field day.

• Like x 1
  9. PotteryWalrus

I made a friend! Mum put a glass over him so she wouldn't accidentally step on him while cooking, and bid me take him upstairs so that he wouldn't frighten her guest by appearing unexpectedly :)
    IMG_1336.JPG

He's a bit scrunched up because wary, but other than that he was very chill. I let him walk along my arm and wrist while I took him into the box room and found a nice quiet spot for him to hang out. (European House Spider, I believe, and a particularly large specimen :D)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    • Like x 3
  10. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

I found a large wolf spider at the bottom of the front door the other day. While I was watching him my sister opened the door, took one look, and hoped back inside. I had to nudge him away so she could take the dog out.

11. PotteryWalrus

• Like x 1
  12. Slug

Slug New Member

I'm going to be unoriginal and say I love jumping spiders the most. They're the kind that never startle me.
    There's some kind of spider who makes a web behind the bottle of toilet cleaner in my bathroom. They always rebuild the web if the bottle is moved. I feel somewhat protective of that spider - luckily it has a little place it can run and hide in near the web too.
    Big ol' Huntsman spiders show up in the house sometimes too. I don't mind if they're in the kitchen, but I cannot take a shower with them hanging out on the wall nearby. I like them, and I know they aren't aggressive towards humans, but they're very fast!

• Like x 2
  13. PotteryWalrus

Ahh Huntsman spiders make me think of my childhood - I was born in Sydney (I now live in the UK) and my childhood memory of australian spiders is giant fuck-off huntsmen hanging out on the wall above my headboard and my dad pouring boiled water into the funnel-web tunnels in the garden D: (Which is probably cruel depending on how fast that killed them but I guess when you've got two kids under the age of 7 who spend most of the time outdoors you want to reduce the degree of Death Wildlife (tm) that they might encounter when you're not looking ^^;;;)

14. jacktrash

• Like x 1
  15. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

One of my life goals is to make a giant robot spider. I would call it "Fluffy".

• Like x 1
  16. jacktrash

[​IMG]

a steam powered giant robot spider?

• Like x 1
  17. Kodachi

Naw, that one's too rickety. Much higher tech, gleaming steel, etc.

18. jacktrash

19. Kodachi

SP1.jpg SP2.jpg SP3.jpg

• Like x 1
  20. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Somewhat smaller than "giant", but still:

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice