Arachnophilia

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by jacktrash, Feb 15, 2016.

?

favorite octokitten?

1. jumpers

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. orb weavers

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. tarantulas

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. trapdoor spiders

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. those cartwheel spiders that roll down sand dunes

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. other (splain!)

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

i wanna robot spider
    so shiny and cute

2. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

3. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

My big strong son,

4. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

LOOK AT THIS
    Capture.PNG

• Like x 1
  5. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Reviving this for home exposure therapy. Please to continue posting the cutes.

I'm not severely arachnophobic, and I can play games with spiders in them and stuff, but I see pictures of Real Life Spiders and I get the crawlies. And my brain screams loudly at the way they move.

Which is sad because spiders are awesome, spider silk is especially awesome, and orb weavers are the Best Spiders I don't make the rules. (But the long spindly legs trigger my NOPE)

• Like x 1
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

The best spider

[​IMG]

• Agree x 1
  7. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

@Lazarae Do you have a pinterest account? I know some people hate pinterest, but I have a bunch of character boards on there and one of them is a spider-god who is huge and fluffy and not particularly threatening. His board is mostly pictures of fluffy spiders, cute middle eastern dudes, pastel colours and the occasional meme.

EDIT: okay, a lot of memes. He loves humans and thinks they're adorable.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • Like x 1
  8. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

@PotteryWalrus i'm interested in seeing this board, are you also potterywalrus on pinterest?

9. PotteryWalrus

• Like x 1
  10. Lazarae

Don't have an account but I could see some of your board? Pinterest mystifies me which is why I don't have one.

Also I just learned about the ravine trapdoor spider through it and they have an awesome butt.

Once the board turned into ALL SPIDERS ALL THE TIME (I think after the bit of your board I could see it went to 'related stuff' which was apparently spiders. Actually there were some other bugs thrown in too but like 80% spiders)I managed to get pretty far scrolling down before I got the crawlies. That's already progress!

I saw a photochopped skull butt on an actual spider to make a LoZ spider and it was pretty cool. I always hated those enemies but that's because of the sounds. I hate 'spider' sounds in most games.

To people who have been around big spiders: do they actually make noise? We only get small spiders in the wild around here and when my cousin had her pet tarantula I avoided the fuck out of it.

• Like x 1
  11. albedo

albedo metasperg

It looks like it's pretty specific! Australian tarantulas apparently can make a little hissing noise by rubbing their legs on their spines, like crickets.

But like, these guys are cute and quiet.

• Informative x 1
  12. Lazarae

Thanks! That's interesting. The noise is DNW (but for different reasons than Media Spider Noises; that is clearly a Bothered Critter) but it's cool they can do the Cricket Thing!

13. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Also going to camp out in here and try to reduce my spider fear

I just had to fatally remove a poor big dumb UK house spider from my bedroom ceiling. The ceiling is too high for non murdery methods and if I left him I would not if been able to sleep in here for like, days after he left of his own accord.

I let them be in any other room. I know they are just out looking for the ladies but I have this great and terrible fear of them getting in my ears when I sleep. Which is dumb but the one time I tried to prove it to myself and went to sleep with a ceiling spider I woke up to him squished flat on my pillow in the morning and the memory still gives me the screaming willies.

14. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Oh no. I have to rescue them from the cat often. They do love a quiet dark place so under pillows and cushions is a common hiding place. I had to rescue my husband from one which retreated under his pillow last autumn.

One good thing is that they're really docile to handle, if a bit speedy. You'll get there. I did.

• Like x 1
  15. albedo

albedo metasperg

That is hella fair; it does seem to be a defensive display, so I couldn't find one that was not a Bothered Bab.

Here is a happy blue baby having a drink and a snack, for your happy tarantula needs.

... I like tarantulas. They have such delicate leggies! And we had a 'how to have pets' class when I was a kid which involved some... unusual choices, like tarantulas and hissing cockroaches and snakes and salamanders. It was gr8. So my idea of 'good pets' has been slightly warped.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  16. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

that poor tarantula in the first video is so stressed out, and it's stressing me out as a result

• Agree x 1
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Oh man, rescuing husband from wayward spiders, a very relatable feeling

Also I saw this guy earlier in the summer
    0520171404_crop_427x482.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  18. Lazarae

I managed to go on a wiki walk reading about arachnids! Honestly the scorpions were there to calm me down; for some reason they don't twig the same NOPE reaction (unless I'm around a live one that's pissed off, but I feel that way about any angry critter. Ask me about the PISSED AS FUCK lion at the zoo) and I think they're pretty sweet. Same with snakes- chill live ones and pics are great, snakes are great, but a pissed off live one I'll keep my distance from. (Grandma doesn't believe I'm not afraid of snakes because she was taking a garden snake out of one yard and moving it to another for it's own safety because construction, and because she had a handful of snek she went through the house where she could have people open doors in front of her. EXCEPT SHE PICKED IT UP BY THE HEAD and it was flailing its butt around like "WTF D:" and I didn't want to touch the poor bab)

Spiders are SO cool though I want to not be scared. Tarantulas might produce silk in their feet? Results are inconclusive but that's cool even as a theory.

• Winner x 1
  19. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Got up early for a phone appointment with my doctor and found a poor, flailing little eight-legged friend swimming desperately in my toilet. At first I thought it was the bab who lives beside the pan, but she's still there. Scooped it out and let it dry off in the sink (left a flannel so it could climb out) and it's off about its business.

That could have ended badly but for coincidental timing. I thiiink it was a leopard spider/snake back spider? Not entirely sure, it wouldn't hold still long enough for me to get a good macro focus. Good hunting small chum.

• Like x 1
  20. PotteryWalrus

I've been reading back this thread and as a former australian, I can confirm that this is probably not nearly as weird as it sounds. Black widows are notorious for building webs under the lids of toilets, especially in bushman/farmhouse type outhouses, and it was a common feature of my childhood to be warned as such and check everything carefully before you sat down on a public toilet or in someone's country shithouse.

Guy probably has poor memory or an urgent gut, and probably brushed the easily-startled lady with his nads as he was sitting down to crap.

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice