Art Mentorship/Tutorials/LETS LEARN THINGS TOGETHER

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Void, Apr 3, 2016.

1. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

@Kit yeah, one of the hands was a bit too big, I made it smaller.
    As for your picture, I think there's a bit of shadow missing at the nose. (that's as far as I can pinpoint stuff)

angel col.png

• Like x 3
  2. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

i'm a bit tired at the moment but I'll do some concrit soon!

3. Void

this is very nice!!! thought maybe someone would find this useful

• Like x 4
  4. plant guardian

plant guardian Local Sword Gremlin

The way you used the palette to shade is really well done, I think you fell into the trap of symmetrical shading on one arm of the robe, but that is a common mistake and something I still do too. Maybe try looking at similarly shaped things in photos or real life and really look closely at the shading. Your line work is really nice and smooth and the hands are well done and I love the billowing of the robe as she falls. The way her head twists in relation to her body isn't right, her torso and shoulders should rotate along with her head because that is what our bodies naturally do. Her neck also seems to be missing which makes it weird, move her head up a little and maybe show some of her neck. The perspective on her scythe blade is a little weird almost looks like it is receding from the viewer. I think you have a little trouble drawing the way bodies naturally twist, I have the same problem and draw people in really exaggerated twisting poses to practice, drawing torsos as two almost perpendicular shapes. You have a really good grasp of anatomy/proportion and I love her dynamic pose. You also have a really good grasp of color shading which is hard.

• Like x 1
  5. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

bumping this thread because i could use some spot-checking on my art!

first off, i'm really proud of this one, but i know parts of it still look... off. anyone have any advice, even if it's just 'this part looks weird to me for some reason?'

6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

The only thing that's standing out to me is the eye being a bit too close to the ear and a bit too far from the nose. Shifting it left a little would fix that, and it looks really good to me otherwise!

• Like x 1
  7. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

i thought I'd mention here quickly that Aaron Blaise, director of Brother Bear, has a channel where he gives art tips! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0lLeNdvLrFozQRsQ1TQiAw
    I found this video about remembering perspective when drawing faces really helpful especially!!

also gonna upload a thing that I'd appreciate a redline on in a moment

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    • Like x 1
  8. theambernerd

look at this man, so excited that blend mode layers exist

• Like x 1
  9. theambernerd

ok ok, sry for spam. i know somethings wrong with this drawing, id appreciate a redline on it. i think its perspective issues w/the legs?

redlineplz.jpg

10. Carnivorous Moogle

i completely forgot this thread existed but AAAAHHHHHH THANK YOU FOR BOTH THE COMPLIMENT AND THE CRITIQUE ;;;C;;; i can see what you mean, yeah, i kind of intended to set it at that angle to make his face look wide and tilted up, buy now that i'm trying to do the shading on his inner cheeks the problem is Very Apparent and your input has helped me look for solutions. thanks!!

@amberbydreams i'm a little brainwhizzled right now, but i think i might be able to redline a couple little details that would fix the legs in a bit here (although i'm far from perfect at anatomy, so it'd just be my suggestion); in general, though, oh my god that's fantastic, poor peedle ;;;_;;;

• Like x 1
  11. Carnivorous Moogle

@amberbydreams here's my best attempt at a redline! i accidentally got the other knee a little too round-looking for the style--i'm bad at drawing more angular knees that don't just look clunky and weird (i really like how you draw them)--and i'm not exactly an anatomy authority, but hopefully this helps a bit; everything else about the drawing looks awesome (including the legs, dang) :D

2016-08-10 20.06.58.png

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    • Like x 1
  12. theambernerd

aah thanks ;w;!! That was definitely the perspective issue my brain was trying to ping me on but wasn't quite fully comprehending what was wrong, whoops cx ill fix that soon

also, starting on my last print that i really want to have ready for con and its looking like i might have to make my own damn pose reference... blugh l:

13. Void

augh okay lately i just feel really sad about my art and i don't know why so maybe someone could like. i don't know. look at it, tell me good and bad shit i don't know

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. theambernerd

@Void sorry, I meant to reply sooner- It'd be hard for me to say what you need to improve about your art, since your art has been my art goals since I first saw your stuff on the drawing thread. You have an amazing sense of volume and posing and expression in your drawings, especially animal drawings, and your art also helps remind me that I can get good at both human and animal art if I really want to..
    the only thing I can really point out right now is on the drawing sheet of Basil, it feels like in some of the drawings something's throwing off the sense of volume- maybe the eye placement? idk

but seriously void, I love your art ;o; its seriously inspired me to push my art development further

• Like x 1
  15. Void

Thank you! I do struggle with eyes a lot so I have to work on that a bit. It kinda makes me yell internally to see someone find me as art goals

16. theambernerd

No problem! ;w; your animal art is so good, i love it so much aa
    I too struggle with eyes a lot- one thing a professor told me that sometimes helps is to always remember that eyes aren't flat on the head- the outer corner of the eye is farther back than the inner corner. which is sorta duh if you think about it but boy, dimensionality is definitely the thing i struggle with most

• Like x 1
  17. Void

oh god yeah it's just so hard haha. and my art style is weird and i need to like actually draw things right for once

i think my animal art is so good because that's like all i drew up until 2011-12ish

18. theambernerd

Saame. I almost exclusively drew animals until... like. idk maybe a year ago? I've drawn people on and off but it was only around a year ago I started getting super serious about it tbh. whoooops

• Like x 1
  19. Sol

Sol needs a coffee

hi this thread is great. my contribution for the day bc i'm thinking about loose sketches as sketchtember is this life drawing site

[​IMG]

dynamic poses are my nemesis but i'm working on it

• Like x 3
  20. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

>:? Anyone got some help for a person who desperately wants/needs to learn backgrounds and is struggling? I've tried the "find the horizon!! make a LOT OF FUCKING LINES!!!" trick for years and it's never clicked for me on where or what or why or HOW. I just wind up so confused trying to make the starting point that by the time it comes to making the lines I'm even MORE lost and then when I try to, say, draw a proper room absolutely bare bones or a building or rows of buildings I'm just going ??????? and usually just. Struggle best I can while getting things even more confused because overwhelmed by lines and really crooked lattice and slap a character in then run and avoid it long as I can. which is not good or helpful in any way.

Four classroom units multiple days long, one of which was a college art foundations course, books, and tons of online tutorials later - still lost beyond buildings that look like shoeboxes and still confused by my own attempts. 8I; Some help for a very, very slow learner would be appreciated muchly. I have ideas but -wow- do I need a functional method to progress from and practice with. Ah, heads up: I use SAI. I have photoshop but till I can find a way to make all the buttons larger (text is big in menus, but tools and literally everything else is microscopic on this comp and I can't change it..) I'm not really using it. I've also got medibang paint pro but I don't know much of how to use it yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice