Art Mentorship/Tutorials/LETS LEARN THINGS TOGETHER

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Void, Apr 3, 2016.

1. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Let me see if I can dig up a tutorial a friend of mine made one. The horizon line method never made sense to them either, so they learned to block things out in broad sweeps and use a gradient of color to differentiate between "planes" of distance.

• Like x 2
  2. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

i don't do a lot of buildings, but i also take advantage of gradients to help with the whole planes thing. i also tend to do a lot of color blocking when i do actually draw like. backgrounds? idk i'm not very good at it myself and never really did the horizon line thing

• Like x 1
  3. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I haven't drawn anything in ages so I can't participate in that regard, but I have a fairly massive art ref blog with actually fairly organized tags if anyone is looking for that sort of thing.

4. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Here's one that isn't exactly what I was looking for, but is fantastic for interior spaces. I have issues with layout sometimes, but this helps pull it all together for me. (Here's another with the same idea, slightly different floor plan.)

Here's another that isn't what I was looking for, but definitely pushes the light/color/depth side of backgrounds more than the specifics of perspective. It's a good example of nonstandard perspective, too.

Here's one that pretty much along the lines I was thinking of! It's got a grander scale for the environment, but the basic concepts can be reduced to smaller areas.

It turns out I was misremembering some studies they posted, but this and this are how they were blocking out vague city shapes. Lines were completely unhelpful for them, but this parsed better-- you could combine this and pretty much all of the other tutorials and get away with lineless perspective if you wanted, since blocking out swatches of color is much gentler on the brain than liney messes.

• Like x 3
  5. Sol

Sol needs a coffee

does anyone have any good tutorials or advice for block shading, like for black and white comics? Kind of like this or this? i always struggle to get the balance right so the whole thing doesn't look like a formless mess.

6. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

holy poop, i just found this tutorial and i am in love. it's all about arms and the dude goes -really quick- but it's really straight forward and simple and I can pause to catch up. but it makes -sense- to me. sharing for everyone, go forth and draw buffness.

• Like x 5
  7. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

mic is not great, but super nice tutorial on skin painting in the style i favor

• Like x 3
  8. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

a thing i am trying to figure out: there is some detail about noses--i think to do with the nostrils?--the inclusion of which makes the difference for my brain between 'cool abstraction i guess' and 'THAT IS A HUMAN FACE.' am running experiments to figure out exactly what it is, still do not have my finger on it, am annoyed

• Like x 1
  9. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i just skimmed the thread so idk if this has been covered already but: how to draw front view faces of beasties with snouts? i can do profile and 3/4 (...sometimes) but front view is rly ?????? to me

• Like x 1
  10. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Hello friends, I am here to ask if anyone has advice on digital painting in colour from greyscale. It is a true mystery to me.

• Like x 1
  11. AbsenteeLandlady123

//SMASHES IN DOOR HELLO FRIEND
    I have the GOODS U NEED

Let me know if that doesn't work for whatever reason o/

• Like x 3
  12. Void

by the way, i have a discord server for artists and crits

https://discord.gg/xxeSpQV

figured it might be an easier way to get faster responses to things! it's also just for general art talk and postings

• Like x 3
  13. Sol

Sol needs a coffee

edit: nvm i got it

• Like x 1
  14. LilacMercenary

LilacMercenary Well-Known Member

Apologies if something like this was posted earlier in the thread and I missed it, but does anyone have any tuts/resources for a *Total Ametuer* at storyboarding or roughing out comics when you have the ideas but get lost trying to put scenes together? It's like I lose the thread of my story in the time it takes to pin down the panels.

I've been going through some medication/mental health fuckery that has the upshot of super convoluted/intense dreams, and I've been wanting to get them down as comics (which is the closest to how I dream idk)
    I have no pretensions of Comic-artistry /Being A Manga-ka When I Grow Up, just weird surrealist notions that are hard to pin down

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  15. Void

• Like x 1
  16. LilacMercenary

Aaah @Void thank you!! This looks so helpful :D

• Like x 1
  17. Starcrossedsky

you can proabbly guess where this link is going

• Like x 2
  18. LilacMercenary

• Like x 1
  19. AbsenteeLandlady123

Yes hello I am here to offer sneaky access to a service I just paid for, because I support people having access to the Good Shit and also as few people needing to pay $25/month as possible.
    Capture.PNG
    I posted a video from one of paintable's things before, but this is the first screen I'm looking at and there are many more to explore. They use photoshop but emphasize that it's relatively simple to transfer the knowledge to other programs. The site is a recent launch, and new content is coming all the time. In the resources section there's a discount on the Coolurus 2 plugin for photoshop as well as many other neat things o/

https://digitalpainting.academy

email: kathygaele@gmail.com
    password: Kintsugitier1

• Like x 8
  20. Starcrossedsky

oh DAMN, thank you @KathyGaele !!! I have been making an effort to motivate myself by having my tablet hooked up AT ALL TIMES, I'm gonna finish the draw I'm doing and hopefully start these TONIGHT. or tomorrow, tomorrow is more likely.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice