Art School or Bust! [I DID IT!!!!]

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by wixbloom, May 22, 2015.

1. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

I FUCKING DID IT! I'M IN ART SCHOOL!

Title inspired by Rongeur's thread of the same name.

This is gonna be a huge personal thread to kind of dump requests for advice, commiserations, celebrations etc. in the journey I'll be undertaking for the next 9 3!!! months or so. I'm going to graduate from my current course (Fine Letters - it's a mixture of Literature, English and Portuguese with a focus on either pedagogy or translation - in my case, pedagogy... un fucking fortunately) and then going to Art School at my same university.

Here's a list of all I have to have done by February in order to be an Art Student:

Graduate Current Course DONE
    • Get through 1 more Literature class. This will require some simple class presentations and a final paper which I'll probably do on Wallace Stevens.
    • Final internship - almost done!
    • Thesis
    Thesis AKA Final Boss DONE
    • It's happening. It looks amazing.
    Graduate DONE
    • Gather all my certificates for events to validate my credits (research, extra electives, 2 different participations in the local congress for scientific initiation, one poster showing in a congress in Santa Catarina) - Have to wait for the strike to end to do this.
    • Graduate
    National Exam (ENEM) DONE AND I DID GREAT
    • This is kind of like an SAT? Only they're kind of a fucking mess.
    • I'm guaranteed nice grades in Portuguese, English, Literature and Writing.
    • I only have to do a quick once-over of History and Geography
    • I'm getting my brother's old books to study Chemistry, Physics, Math and Biology
    • Must take the exam in October
    • I should ask my boss at the cram school if I can attend the pre-test events (which are basically just to help make people less nervous)
    University-Specific Exam (Vestibular)
    • Because the ENEM is such a mess, my University also selects via a specific exam, which is tougher, but the Vestibular is only in January, giving me extra time to study
    • Study-wise, everything I've said about the ENEM applies
    Art-Specific Admission Exam DONE AND I PASSED!
    • We don't have to present a portfolio, just to sit a live drawing examination which requires 4 drawings in 15 minutes each, all showing the 15-20 random objects the evaluating committee put up for us.
    • I'm currently taking weekly art lessons and practicing at home.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    • Like x 3
  2. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Good luck with it! :) I hope everything goes according to plan!

• Like x 1
  3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

"Art School or Bust!" sporadically does one of those figure/ground inversions and starts parsing as "Tits or Art School!"

• Like x 5
  4. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Lots of people in art school are currently sculpting busts, I'm sure, so the two don't have to be mutually exclusive

• Like x 2
  5. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

Good Luck! Man, I want to go back to Art School, but the school I went to was the Actual Devil so it didn't work out. Don't do Art Institute, kids. They're owned by Goldman-Sachs, and are more concerned with making money of of students than teaching them.

• Like x 1
  6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

best of luck! you are mighty!

• Like x 2
  7. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Art school is stressful as hell but sooo worth it if you've found a place you like. Godspeed!

• Like x 1
  8. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

ALRIGHT!

Just went to the art school I'll be taking preparation lessons in. Told the woman who interviewed me that even though I work and go to college, I draw every week and will use the classes to motivate myself to draw more frequently, that I'm willing to work hard and that I already have experience selling commissions, which means I have some sense of discipline and adhering to schedule. Later this week I'm buying the course material - tons of paper, soft lead pencils and erasers, plus a small folder and a big folder. And on Thursday, lessons start!

Other stuff: I just presented a seminar, which brings me one step closer to graduating, and decided what I'm writing my final American Literature paper on (Bartleby, the Scriviner). I also emailed my internship adviser about my internship students' final presentation, which now has a date scheduled - June 22nd. Tonight I'm teaching the 3rd internship class: we'll choose a title for our presentation, answer some more questions about poetry, talk about problems in last week's activity, learn about manifestos and create the class manifesto (which will also be a chance to set up evaluation criteria), and then, if time allows it, get cracking on writing those poems! When I come home tonight, in... 9 hours, ugh... I'm gonna enroll to take the National Exam and then call up my bro and set up a date this week to get his old books.

Things to get done this week:
    - Buy material
    - Go to Thursday lesson
    - Go to all my classes I skipped one due to the Big Sad but it's not a problem
    - Go by my mom and bro's house to get his old books
    - Read through the whole History bit.
    - Plan 4th lesson for the internship
    - Email my final paper advisor to talk about bibliography and ask for suggestions
    - Take my TOEFL exam to the graduation commission

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    • Like x 6
  9. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Alright alright alright time for status update:

- Art lessons are doing REALLY well. My teacher has clearly categorized me as A Person Who Already Knows How To Draw and is now focused only in preparing me for the test itself, which is good. He already put me in conditions a lot more similar to those of the actual test and is giving me way harder challenges, as well as teaching me specific techniques to make it work during the test.
    - Studied! Reviewed the entire High School level literature stuff, which was a smart decision because even though I study college level lit, they're like entirely different beasts in some ways. Next steps are History and Geography.
    - Paid for my National Exam application
    - Took my TOEFL to the graduation commission. The request for credits will only get going once the workers' strike ends, and that's not gonna be anytime soon (and honestly I hope it isn't because I'm a public worker too and really need this time off)
    - The semester's quickly coming to an end. The next few lessons for my internship write themselves, and then I have 3 papers to finish: one by July 1st, one by July 5th and one I don't remember the deadline of.
    - I've been getting interested in my research again, which is excellent because I'll need to return to it, interested or not, in order to get this good time over with.

• Like x 3
  10. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

Heyyy, dude! Sounds like everything is going really well for you, congrats on that~

• Like x 1
  11. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Wow I haven't updated this in forever. Basically end of the semester happened, then vacations happened, then new semester happened. The situation is as follows:

Art Lessons are doing great. I'm becoming very self-assured and am drawing better and faster than ever before. This week I finished a composition of 4 bottles, an empty flowerpot, a box and a pineapple in 25 minutes with full shading and correct proportions. I still need to be even faster - 15min, and more objects within that timeframe - but I'm confident in my progress.

Final Internship is a pain in the ass already, but then again it was always gonna be that way. I'm trying to get a cram school to go develop my project in, because public schools in all administrative instances are a fucking mess right now. It's hard though! Talked to the director of one, he said to email him so we could set up a date for an interview, didn't answer my email, I re-sent it today and I'll look for other options as well.

Final Paper
    is gonna take a lot of work still. This weekend I'm gonna sift through the rubble of my research and send my adviser some stuff and work on an actual plan with actual deadlines to blow past!

Admission Exams I plan to use my work hours (work is slow and we all end up having lots of time on our hands) to study for that. I don't need to study too hard, art school is very loosely demanding in this and I'll probably get Graduate Enrollment (which means you get to skip this entire process) anyways.

Advice Request:

Other stuff happened and it's stressing me out a bit even though it's wonderful. My friend Gui recced me to his friend Josi who owns a small fashion brand, to embroider for them. Josi says whenever there's beadwork to be done she'll send it my way! On the same day, I talked to the owner of this tiny crafts store near my house and she said she'll pass along any excess work they might get to me and that I can consign stuff I make with them for them to sell! Which is an amazing opportunity except I don't have anything ready.

So now basically I can't stop thinking "oh god I gotta make some stuff to sell so as not to waste this opportunity". I think all my fears about "I'm a lot of talk but can't back it up via structured, hard work" are surfacing with this. And that's stressful as fuck and doesn't help so I want it to stop. Any tips on how to deal with that?

It's also hard to find the time to do all the art I want to do, of course. I'm trying to prioritize, but it always seems like important stuff gets left out in favor of other important stuff. How do?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    • Like x 1
  12. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

It's cool you can consign stuff! Was there a cutoff date for consigning stuff? If there isn't - well, best option is to try and just turn off the stress because it's not your priority, art school is, so you don't need to focus on that right now. I recognize the difficulty of that, though, so I'm gonna tell you what I do: I knit for fun, and only for presents, because fibercrafts are relaxing. I make sure I get at least some knitting done every day - no minimum quantity, just forward progress. Eventually stuff gets done. If you started something smallish, you could maybe take the same approach to making a beading thing to consign?

• Like x 1
  13. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@Chiomi Yeah that's true. There's no due date and they told me I can bring stuff "if I have some", "as I make it". Basically what I decided was that these mittens I was knitting for myself I could maybe take there, and make some for myself later on because well, even if I did finish them now I wouldn't wear them for another 6-ish moths because spring just arrived. Right now I'm watching Gravity Falls and knitting them! I also made some plans and lists and that always makes me feel less overwhelmed.

I like your idea of no minimum quantity, it's a cool way to approach something I struggle with.

14. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

WOW alright it has been several months since I updated this! Which doesn't mean I haven't been working hard on it. In fact, time for MAJOR update:

Graduate Current Course - Had some scary hiccups, but it's well underway. I'm almost through with my last internship - only 3 more days to go, and those will be easy.

Final Paper - Temporarily on hold because evaluations for art school admission are taking priority. Speaking of which...

National Exam (ENEM) - It's DONE and I got EXCELLENT MARKS :D

Art Lessons - Finally done, yay! Which leads me to...

Specific Evaluation - It's in 2 days!!!!!!! I AM EXCITE. A bit nervous, but MOSTLY EXCITED and I can't wait to get that done with!!

• Like x 3
  15. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  16. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

I PASSED THE DRAWING EXAM!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!

I have the University-Specific Exam (Vestibular) to take, but it's basically a formality. I need to focus on the graduation stuff now. The hardest part is definitely over and I made it! I'm totally going to art school O:

• Like x 6
  17. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

How awesome, @wixbloom :D :D
    I'm very happy for you :D

• Like x 1
  18. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Congratulations!

• Like x 1
  19. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

*dances in joy*

• Like x 1
  20. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

*Internal Screaming*

As it turns out, I have THREE WEEKS to finish my paper. Which right now is 20 pages of copypasta from my research reports. Pray4me.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice