Aud's House of Nonsense 8)

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by rainbowbarnacle, Dec 16, 2018.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

just off the top of my head, the most well recieved comfort food is tomato eggs. you take some tomato soup, spice it up a little with garlic salt and italian herbs, mix in some parmesan, and then poach some eggs in it. spoon the hot soup over the top of the eggs as they're cooking. top with extra parmesan if you're feeling fancy.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. rainbowbarnacle

rainbowbarnacle Cat Aggrandizer

OMG THAT SOUNDS SO GOOD O_O and it would help me learn how to cook eggs better 8) (I can fry and scramble and make quiches from them okay but I haven't really learned anything else) I bet that works nicely with other soups too.

• Like x 1
  3. jacktrash

thinner soups, it's hard to get the eggs to stay in one piece, though if you like egg drop soup that's not a problem. but tomato is thick enough that the egg doesn't spread out much.

• Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  4. rainbowbarnacle

Today was an epic day of paperwork and erranding, and now I can safely say that today I:

1. acquired paycheck
    2. paid bills
    3. took care of re-certification paperwork and various proofs
    4. acquired meds
    5. acquired gym membership and
    6. did misc. errands for studiohouse

Also today I got the news that I don't have to think about student loans again until July of 2020, THAT CERTAINLY IS A NICE FEELING. @_@

I can't believe it all went so well. Also I gotsa fancy coffee as a reward because holy crap that was a lot, at least six hours of Stuff.

Next big thing on the list: BIG OL' SCARY DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT ON WEDNESDAY, PRAY FOR ME.

(although as scary as it is I will know more at least and that makes me feel better)

Also giant thank-yous to @Vast Derp for being an erranderbro (broander? oh god words don't look like words anymore) and doing all this with me and also wrangling various webpage login difficulties while trying to print stuff out because there are few things that are crappy like trying to get proofs out and then the page is like "okay you logged in too many times even though we told you to try logging in if you didn't receive our verification email, we're going to lock you out for an hour and then spam you with useless verification emails for the rest of your evening."

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Winner x 7
  5. jacktrash

that's a lot! you're a superhero

• Agree x 4
  6. rainbowbarnacle

Happy Fun Doctor Update:

1. Sooo even though having diabetes isn't exactly a good thing, my doctor said my numbers actually weren't terrible: I'm a 7.7, and they like to keep it below an 8 if possible. (I have no idea what all these numbers mean but okay!) She says it's entirely possible I could get back to a 5.something if I work at it, and even if I can't slip back to normal levels, any effort at all will be beneficial anyway.

2. She set me up with an oral medication whose only big side effect is possible stomach upset, so that doesn't seem too scary. If the side effects aren't awful, then that's all I'll need to do for medication. I don't have to do the finger pokey thing. I do need to go have a special eye exam done, but I needed to have one of those done anyway. Maybe I'll go get some affordable fancy glasses online somewhere as a little happy boost.

3. I'm all set up at the gym (what was keeping me from it before was mostly finances and insurance flubbery, but that's all taken care of now) and I have an appointment with the dietitian next week. The doctor recommends as a sort of goal: Three days a week at the gym, forty minutes a session. And if I can't do forty minutes, try ten, then fifteen, and so on. CFS is allowed to kick my butt, but yeah. I've actually been feeling pretty good physically the past week or so, so I'm optimistic. And I can walk pretty much forever if I need to, it's the one exercise I'm really, really good at, especially if I'm indoors and I have music or a book to listen to. (And the gym has these little TVs--one time 12 Angry Men was on and Luka and I ended up longer than usual on the elliptical torture machines just because that movie was so friggin captivating. X)) And exercise helps with CFS too, especially if I'm not all horribly flarey when I do it, so I'll be helping out both of my conditions.

4. I am allowed carbs*! I'll know more about this stuff when I get back from the dietitian, but yeah, like, way back when I was pre-diabetic, my insurance didn't cover a dietitian so I figured "okay I'll just stop eating bread and pasta and white rice and keep eating vegetables and stuff and call it good" but yeah I think I need guidance. x_x I've never dieted before. I don't know crap about carb counting or anything like that. And I'm pretty sure my diet and stuff isn't the sole cause of my being diabetic (after all if everybody who ate too much bread or whatever got it, EVERYBODY would have diabetes) but fixing my diet will be a big step in the right direction, so yeah. I think I will give this keto diet thing a try, as I have heard good things. Also, they will be giving me LISTS OF THINGS TO EAT, that sounds SO WONDERFUL.

I go back in two months for a checkup and we'll see what happens.

So yeah! My doctor's pretty optimistic about all this. And I feel pretty okay about all this! I'm gonna step all over them treadmills! And I'm gonna get to try new food, that's always fun! It's gonna be a big ol' healthy adventure.

* From how she described things, @rorleuaisen I think I can still eat your wonderful shepherd's pie, the potato part won't be too carby. <3

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Winner x 7
  7. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

im type 1 diabetic which sounds different, but fist-bunp! u can Do Thing
    carb counting is tedious but doable if u have to
    The 7.7 might be hemoglobin a1c? Its kinda....i dont know either but it relates to your blood sugar on like a 3 month average or something

8. rainbowbarnacle

Yeah that sounds about right! *FISTBUNP*

• Like x 1
  9. rainbowbarnacle

Hi new snack: hard boiled eggs drizzled in hot olive oil with sea salt and red pepper flakes :d

The eggs themselves were kinda strong, so maybe this will be an every-once-and-awhile-snack, but wow I'd never had them that way before and it turned out really good 8)

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  10. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Oh man, if I didn’t have textural issues with hardboiled eggs I’d so try that. The flavors sound like they’d work great together!

• Like x 1
  11. rainbowbarnacle

Ok so it turns out that if you watch all the Sims Sweeps Week episodes of Monster Factory and go right to sleep, you will absolutely dream about a bunch of wonkyheaded sims zooming around while Griffin and Justin say a bunch of random stuff you don't remember upon waking.

:stare:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. jacktrash

sounds entertaining!

• Agree x 1
  13. jacktrash

btw if you google 'poach eggs in soup' you will find HUNDREDS of recipes for various soups that apparently benefit from eggy friends

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 1.53.02 PM.png
    DROOOOOOL

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  14. rainbowbarnacle

OM NOM NOM NOM

• Agree x 2
  15. rainbowbarnacle

Today @Vast Derp and I went to the dollar store and there was a mom and her young girl rushing in "for an emergency crafting speed run, we're gonna make dolphin shakers and we need glue!!" They bounced around the whole store being cute and enthusiastic and adorable.

And everything was happy and wonderful until the kid turned around with her horrible stiff-limbed dead eyed grinning terrifying totally-going-to-murder-me-in-the-night DOLL held in both hands and MADE HER DANCE AT ME while singing a goofy little tune DOOT DOOT DOOTLE DOO

And I swear to you for a few brain scrambling seconds I could not decide what was worse: the knee-jerk BLOOD CURDLING TERROR OF THIS DOLL or the social anxiety of trying not to flip my entire lid in front of this tiny happy child full of sugar and rainbows

So instead I went "AAH. AHAHA. AHAHAHAHAHA." to show the child's mother how charmed I was by her kid's antics and the second they glanced away from me I retreated to the nearest aisle with Luka where I did a discreet spine bending finger curling dance of squicked out heebie jeebies and wailed "WHHHYYYY" silently at the ceiling and dragged my fingers down my face while Luka MIMED THE DANCE AT ME LIKE A ZOMBIE AND LAUGHED AT ME UNTIL HE NEARLY DIED THE END

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    • Like x 9
  16. jacktrash

you guys are the cutest diamonds omg

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  17. rainbowbarnacle

fjk;dslfsa okay so Aldi has these little cups of minced up cauliflower with different toppings you can put in them, so I got one of each just try it and OH MY GOD CAULIFLOWER + PESTO IS MARVELOUS O_O

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  18. rainbowbarnacle

Dietitian appointment came and went, and she taught me the basics of counting carbs. (I figured I was with a good person when I mentioned I'd never dieted before and she said "Actually that's a good thing, don't worry about that." She made it pretty clear this is for Health Stuff and didn't mention weight loss even once.) It turns out it's not as complicated as I feared. According to this thing, I budget out 3-4 carb choices per meal, (at three meals a day) and 1-2 carb choices per snack. (at three snacks a day) 1 carb choice equals around 15g of carbs. So a PBJ banana sandwich would equal roughly 4, with 1 carb for each slice of bread, 1 carb for the jelly, and 1 carb for the banana.

I kinda like this setup. There's not anything that seems restricting as far as portions go--she made it very clear I don't have to go hungry while doing this and that I don't have to really stop eating anything. (I CAN KEEP MY COFFEE AND MY SUSHI YESSSS) I can also move the carb choices around accordingly--like, if I eat 6 carb choices with breakfast, I can just make it 2 carb choices each with the next two meals and balance it out with veggies and lean meats and other noncarby foods. So it's mostly just paying attention to how much and how often.

She also said I'd need to start measuring ingredients, which is something I never really did before except when making cups of rice and stuff like that, but mostly this is just to know how much I'm using in things. (since I usually kinda eyeball ingredients and dump in what looks good, this will be useful in keeping everything organized and probably result in some better meals ^_^;) She mentioned that it's best to kinda go for the maximum amount and then wait for a bit and add on if I still feel hungry.

It doesn't sound like a super strict exact science, and I have room to flub up a little. There are also noncarby foods I can just kinda go to town on without having to worry about budgeting anything, most of which are nonstarchy veggies, which I enjoy anyway so that's good. X) I also showed her the Good Carb cookbook I nabbed at the book fair, and she liked it a lot, especially because each recipe lists how many grams of carbs each meal contains. (I also found a lot of good diabetes-friendly recipes here.)

I haven't been great about eating three square meals a day (my method lately is usually "forget about food until I'm ravenous and then scarf something" unfortunately) so this should help me get better on track. I'm not much of a snacker, but having nuts and raw veggies and fruit and stuff available sounds really appealing. Maybe I'll make a bunch of little mini bento snack thingies to store up on.

So yeah! This sounds good. We'll see what happens.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Winner x 6
    • Like x 4
  19. jacktrash

wow, that sounds so helpful! i'm a little jealous honestly, maybe i should see a dietician about figuring out what triggers my flares.

• Like x 1
  20. rainbowbarnacle

I was scheduled to see her before I knew about the diabetes, so originally I was going to talk about foods to help with inflammation and energy and weight loss and the like (and also figure out why I crave bitter greens like crazy every time I have a big flareup) and I ended up talking about CFS a little bit anyway--she said she'd never heard of the bitter greens thing before but it was certainly interesting, and that there were definitely some anti-inflammatory foods to consider too for when a flareup rears its ugly head. I dunno the extent of her expertise as we didn't spend a whole lot of time on the topic, but from what she told me she's helped all sorts of folks in all kinds of situations and I get the impression they have a -lot- of really cool meal plans, so yeah, totally give'em a try.

https://www.northfieldhospital.org/nutrition-dietetics <- I saw Kristi Winkels. X)

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice