Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

My awesome powers of having access to the NGP VAN inform me that there are precisely two registered voters with that name in the entire state of West Virginia. So I guess it's regional.

• Like x 5
  2. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

It might be a normal American name in some places, but it certainly isn't in Dutch, and I would argue that it's got no place in our culture.

I'm not saying we need 'name purity' or something, just that there are better names that we can adopt into our culture :P

• Like x 2
  3. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Yeah, Rowdy a pretty common redneck name (and gender neutral from my experience) but you probably wouldn't see it in a liberal urban center much if at all.

4. LadyNighteyes

I think it's probably got some geographic distribution stuff going on beyond "redneck vs. urban" too, because WV is not exactly at the top of most people's lists of liberal urban centers.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Like x 1
  5. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

Whoa, yeah, that one's completely new to me in Iowa. I went to school with a Rudy, but that was a nickname derived from the surname Rudebeck.

• Like x 1
  6. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

I've gone to school w several Rudys, and several more Rubys (all of them were short for Reuben, bc Orthodox Jewish school)

• Like x 1
  7. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

The only Rowdy I can think of is Clint Eastwood's character from Rawhide (and his real name was Daniel). But I've spent most of my life trying to avoid rural areas, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's like a regional/generational thing.

In unrelated bizarre-but-awesome-celebrity-name news, this is your daily reminder that Crispin Glover's middle name is "Hellion".

• Like x 4
  8. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

So my life has been an adventure in people pronouncing my name incorrectly.
    Mari Mercado
    Correctly pronounced Marie mer-CAH-do
    very few people get it right first try, even despite my living in Florida ("it's spanish. there's an accent on the i" is my go-to explanation, but most people just smile and nod at that)
    I usually get MAR-ee MER-cay-do, to the point that's what I listen for during roll-call at the first day with a new teacher (which was a lot considering there were a lot of moves). once i even jokingly told my mom that that's what i was listening for when we were in a raffle and they did in fact call my name exactly like that. xD
    I've also gotten Mary, Maria (my middle is allyssa [curtsy of my bio-dad who couldn't remember how alyssa was spelled and so just doubled both consonants] and the initial usually included on most documents which doesn't help things), and twice Moriah (which i finally figured out: if you parse ma as "muh" and ri as "rye", and add in my middle initial...)
    For my last name i've gotten, MER-cay-do and mee-CAR-do. probably more, but I don't remember them

Also most people in my extended family don't go by their given names, so my mom's name growing up was
    Chacha Veve
    to the point where that's what was on her first bank account. She got jokes to the tune of "Did your parents stutter?"
    (chacha is short for muchacha, Spanish for little girl)

We also have a Titi Tata who's given name is something like Ester? xD (titi is a cutesy form of tia, which is Spanish for aunt, no idea where they got Tata from tho)

If you haven't guessed it, my nickname is Riri (or Rere, which is how i spelled it when i was younger) (which I think I only got teased for once? it wasn't a secret)

• Like x 5
  9. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Liz is from the PNW too iirc, so it might be a Western US sort of thing.

10. LadyNighteyes

Not gonna post my name because it's so rare, but I listen for the person reading to hesitate, squint at the paper, and slowly say it with several letters in the wrong order. :::PPP (I don't understand why people do this, because they'd get it right if they just sounded it out.)

That's sort of what I was guessing. And maybe some generational, too, since both the WV Rowdys were under 35.

• Like x 3
  11. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

Hey, I did the same thing during roll call. Weird birth name high five. In my case it was usually just messing up the vowel sounds due to stressing the wrong syllable. It happened so often, my classmates sometimes corrected the teacher at the same time I did.

12. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I am and it very well could be!

• Like x 1
  13. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Maybe! I don't recall meeting anyone much younger than me with that name, but then again I haven't lived in the US for over a decade...

14. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I don't think I've ever heard it around here (also PNW) but I could be wrong.

15. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Same region as @Mercury - yep, it's (unfortunately) a thing here. (WHY WOULD SOMEONE NAME THEIR OWN HUMAN OFFPSRING ROWDY?!)@prismaticvoid - I suspect that it's another wet side vs dry side thing :P

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Like x 3
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Guessing it's an eastern PNW thing, yeah. My mom grew up in Spokane and my grandparents live there to this day, and a lot of the people in certain parts of that area (though far from all, obviously) are pretty redneck-y. Like, my cousins are pretty stereotypical White Trash (TM).

(Related fun fact: One of my cousins is named Bob. It's not short for anything. Always thought that was an odd one. And another cousin was this close to being named Sara Lee before smarter relatives pointed out that everyone would associate it with the brand name.)

...Also, am I the only one who thinks Destiny is a really odd name and is baffled by how popular it is? Like...you don't hear about kids straight-up named Fate, y'know?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Like x 3
  17. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

That site has all kinds of stuff under Japanese names that aren't Japanese although in several cases there is a Japanese name that they are trying to spell but can't. And then there's "Tajji". What the fuck.

• Like x 3
  18. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Same with Irish names, so I am not even remotely surprised.

• Like x 5
  19. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

There was some site that had "Corsican names" that... Uh... Well, first of all, they ended in "-o" so they sounded vaguely Italian, and then they didn't mean anything and were French words with the Italian -o at the end, and then they explained Corsican people were named after adjectives, which is true sometimes (Furtunatu ("lucky") for foundlings, "primu", "sicondu", "terzu" etc. for the first/second/third/etc. child of particularly unimaginative parents, and... Those are the only two examples I can think of), but the examples they gave were bullshit.
    The Corsican online community made fun of them for weeks.

• Like x 8
  20. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel certainly something

I knew a girl named Faith, and I feel like I have seen/heard Fate but don't distinctly remember someone. I knew a ton of Destiny's growing up, so I never really questioned it. XD

I also knew a girl named Genesis.

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice