Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

Cotton-eyed Joe

• Like x 3
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

what you become after eating papyrus' spaghetti

• Like x 4
  3. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

Printed in the school newspaper. I'm pretty sure this is satire, but the fact that I can't tell is terrifying
    [​IMG]

• Like x 12
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

my dick is named morcant III

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 1
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Fun fact: I actually knew a (cis) woman named Kevin once. She told me that her parents had been totally dead-set on the name, and were determined to use it regardless of the kid's sex...

EDIT: I should note that this woman was, from what I remember, around the same age as my parents.

• Like x 3
  6. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I don't know if I've posted here before on the subject so forgive me if this is a double post, but -

My aunt has six boys with the following names -
    Samuel
    Raphael
    Casper
    Horatio
    Pablo and Fabian (twins)

She's Irish. The family at large is British with Czech heritage on one side. Why.

Also, my dead relative ancestor that Sam was named for and I was given the deadname female version of was actually named Solomon and just went by Sam. I just. I don't understand.

Also also if I have to correct one more person 'mishearing' my name as 'Mel' imma shoot a bitch. It's Mal. Malcolm. Plz to stop misgendering me.

• Like x 3
  7. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Just shout "SPACE CAPTAIN, NOT DERANGED BIGOT MAD MAX!"

• Like x 3
  8. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

That might not be intentional depending on where they're from. When I pronounce it both sound pretty interchangeable...

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  9. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

@Lizardlicks - yeah, and then I could enjoy even more blank looks! XD

No but seriously, when they say Mel?? I can see them thinking it's 'Melanie' which is a reasonably common girl's name here. Malcolm isn't all that common, unfortunately, and then I have to explain for the fifty-hundredth time that yes, it's a boy's name, I'm a boy, I know you mean well old lady but if I have to hear 'But you're so PRETTY' one more time I'm going to stab SOMEONE with a spork...

@Emma - they do sound fairly close, I know, but in this particular regional accent you have to be really not-listening to confuse them. It's like hearing 'Sam' as 'Sun' for example.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Informative x 1
  10. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

sporks sound like a horrible option to stab someone with...

i say as someone who once spent ten minutes in her culinary class looking around like 'WHICH of these large implements would/will i grab in the event of zombies'

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  11. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

We had a heavy wood and metal pie crust poker in our class, it looked like the hyrbid of a mace and rolling pin. That was my zombie apocalypse choice. That, or the industrial sized immersion blender.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I've played entirely too many video games for this phrase to not be funny.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

It's called a "thing, for soup, bzz bzz". Just ask my mother.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 3
  14. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

for reference on the immersion blender, it was 4 feet tall and the blades were 4-5 inches long.

[Edit:] maybe 3 feet tall? It was a few years ago now, I don't remember it that well.

• Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  15. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I want to buy one of these and put an entire pumpkin in it.

• Agree x 3
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Bringing a new meaning to the phrase, "What pumpkin?"

• Like x 7
  17. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

on a piece of music my choir is performing (I think he was the arranger, poor man): Gerald Cockshott

• Like x 6
    • Witnessed x 5
    • Winner x 1
  18. lupadracolis

lupadracolis [This space is intentionally left blank]

My mum's from Scotland, and her best friend from childhood (a Margaret) named her children Struan, Eilidh, and Cliodhna, which are pronounced Stroo-an, Ey-lee, and Clee-oh-na respectively. What is Gaelic even?

19. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Both Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic have weird spelling, but to be fair, IIRC both languages are at least consistent-ish there?

Plus Scottish Gaelic names would probably be common enough in Scotland, so I wouldn't say that's too weird.

But unambiguously terrible name time: a friend of mine is friends with a couple who named their baby girl Anna-Mae. Yes, it was intended to sound like "anime."

• Witnessed x 9
    • Like x 1
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

NO why!!!

• Agree x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice