Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Or Valkyrie.

@Acey --- It's a really old show, but Bewitched was a famous TV show about a witch named Samantha. Most people nowadays associate the name more with Sex in the City I guess, but it's a witchy name for people who grew up earlier.

• Agree x 1
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Yup, this I knew! I was mostly pointing it out as one of the only actual names on the list. :P

3. Acey

That is so weird to me, since Keri is a pretty uncommon spelling I think?? I've only ever seen Carries and the occasional Kerry.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't doubt that it happens! It's just super strange that it does, imo.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

See my daughter's middle name is Samantha, but it's for this lady here:

[​IMG]

(do I win the stealth nerd contest or....?)

• Winner x 7
  5. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 36 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

was helping mom with some work related technical trouble and came across this poor kid's name: Eiyan, pronounced the same a Ian

what the fuck???

four vowels and a consonant do not (usually) a name make

i half expect a "Aeiouywn, pronounced Ian" in the next decade, if something like that doesn't already exist
    you can never tell with Welsh being a Thing

• Witnessed x 3
  6. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Aieouywn looks like someone trying to make Eowyn into an even more ~*unique*~ name to me

• Agree x 5
  7. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

oh oh that reminds me
    I knew a kid named "Owen" but it was spelled "Eoghan" I think
    granted, the family was Irish, but the kid was born in America, and the other kids had normally spelled names. though I think there was one more with one that was kinda out there

8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

My knowledge of Welsh pronunciation is mostly limited to what I remember of an infodump in one of the Dark Is Rising books that I read when I was like 12, but I'm pretty sure the cluster "ywn" at the end would be pronounced "ih-oon."

• Informative x 1
  9. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

but did they want to buy a vowel?

• Winner x 2
  10. VJ Wocky

VJ Wocky 36 Somnolent Void Seeks Perfection in Dissonance

all the vowels. ALL OF THEM!

#homestuck reference

• Winner x 2
  11. Acey

I've never seen Eoghan, but Eoin (as in Eoin Colfer) is an Irish name pronounced that way and I don't think that's actually weird? Especially since Owen is an Anglicization of Eoin to begin with.

• Like x 1
  12. Acey

I may have mentioned this in this thread before, but I once started reading a book and the Obligatory Love Interest's name was Kayliegh. Not Kaylee, not even Kayleigh (which...I'm not fond of the "-eigh" thing in general because it doesn't parse as an "ee" sound to my brain, but at least it's used consistently enough in names that I would immediately go "oh, like Kaylee"), but Kayliegh.

I before E is not a universal rule, people.

EDIT: I should note that this character's brother had a completely normal and reasonably-spelled name. Chris or something, I forget.

• Witnessed x 1
  13. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

... That isn't supposed to be pronounced kaylay?

• Agree x 3
  14. Acey

Nope. Apparently "leigh" sounds like "lee" now.

But the "liegh" thing just looks WAY dumber, IMO.

• Agree x 1
  15. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Honestly, I just keep parsing it as "liege". Kay, my liege...

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. Acey

I keep parsing it as someone about to puke, honestly.

• Witnessed x 2
  17. Azurite

Azurite Just Floating

(I am slowly reading through the backlog of this thread, I'm crying actual tears and my sides hurt it's wonderful)

I went to middle school with a boy named Sharon. It wasn't A Boy Named Sue situation, it was produced "Sha-ron" and sounded masculine enough. But there was absolutely no hint of this in how it was written, thus the poor kid was stuck correcting everyone, constantly.

Him and Jesus generally had a bad time whenever we had a substitute.

• Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Oh man. I went to junior high with a kid named Phuc.

Now... look, y'all, I knew it's not pronounced the way it looks, we all knew that, and unless he heard the sub was mean he would preemptively advise the sub on pronunciation to spare them the embarrassment... but if this kid got a heads-up that there was a mean sub in a class, he took full and unfair advantage of it and just let them start calling roll and then enjoyed the long, long, long and very awkward pause that meant the sub had encountered his name in the roll and had no idea what the hell to do about it.

• Winner x 13
  19. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Oh hey i forgot about one of my friends

Rauiri, pronounced Rory. His dad is Scottish.

• Witnessed x 1
  20. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

my ex's name was Ruaridh, pronounced Rory. I love gaelic scottish spelling tbh

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice