Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I ran across an 80-something-year-old named Theestle in a voter database the other day.

• Winner x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. The surname “Loveless.” There’s an entire manga about why this is a bad name.

Also, is “Lizbeth” an acceptable variation of “Elizabeth” or not?

3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’ve seen Lizbeth/Lisbeth a few times! It’s an accepted variant, although I normally see it with an S.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  4. Acey

In high school, I had a classmate named Liber. Odd name, but not inherently awful.

Now, this kid’s mom seemed KINDA NUTS, just generally, and she once proudly told me that she’d chosen a middle name for her son that began with T—“so he’s Liber T.! Like liberty, geddit??”

Yeah, she gave her kid a pun for a name. :/

• Witnessed x 6
  5. Acey

To clarify, it’s more the intent that bugged me—his middle name is perfectly fine (his first name is rare enough that I won’t share it, but it’s a normal name, albeit not a super common one in the States), but the fact that she did it to intentionally create a pun...yikes.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Agree x 3
  6. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

…there's a Carry A. Nation joke to be made about poor Liber T., but damned if I can quite put my finger on it.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  7. A kid with the first name "Winter", and another with the last name "Broskie."

8. Acey

Winter isn’t so bad tbh—not a common one, but not terribly unusual or likely to scar a kid.

Broskie is fairly unfortunate though.

9. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I know lots of Winters and Wynters and Wyntirs and.... Yeah it just progresses from there.

Talked to an adjuster today who's last name is Smoot. I love it. Rolls off the tongue.

Smoot.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  10. I got two more from work today- One was a kid named Ravyn. A boy, if that makes it any more silly (I know several girls named raven, but no boys).

The second one was another kid named Alexandr. Why they took the E out of the last syllable is a mystery.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. Acey

As far as unfortunate surnames go, I had Latin class in high school with a girl whose last name was Coward, and there was a girl in my grade whose last name was--I shit you not--Smiley.

Fortunately both of them had normal first names.

12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Yo I don't think it's cool to say people's names are misspelled. Like, that's just rude, even if they're not around to hear it.

Their names aren't misspelled, that's how their name is spelled.

-signed someone with two "misspelled" names

• Agree x 1
  13. Acey

Sorry. Deleted the post.

14. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Don't need to delete the post or anything, just saying I'm, personally, uncomfortable with that tend.

Eta: that post was addressing the thread at large, not just you Acey. We're cool

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  15. Message received, I’ll work on it.

16. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

iirc, "alexandr" without the "e" is very russian because that's a more direct translation of the cyrillic

eta: apparently it's czech but it's the same idea :v

• Informative x 2
  17. Oh really? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it like that :o

18. Acey

I’ve seen Aleksandr before (pretty sure that’s the Russian variant?), but not Alexandr until now!

19. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I would just be happy if people would quit assuming my name is a misspelling of Kerri/Carrie/Kerry etc. It is a different name and it doesn't sound like that.

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice