Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Aleksandr is the Russian variant, yes!

• Informative x 1
  2. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

One I just saw (on a tombstone…): Florine. It's pretty, but it's a little too close to "fluorine" for my liking.

There was also a tombstone with the person's surname in extra-big fancy font, which is fine, only…their last name was "Dicks". Ooh.

• Winner x 3
  3. Here’s some city names to spice things up.

Bad city name- Boring, OR.

Terrible city name- Slaughter, LA.

Great city name- Gaylord, MI.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  4. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Katsucon is held in a hotel called the Gaylord and it's wonderful.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

If you say it's not Ms Lisbeth Salander might take offence, and nobody wants that.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  6. cleverThylacine

I have been thinking about this.

In theory and most situations I agree with you. Variant spellings of names are actually cool, and making fun of the way people of different races and social classes name kids is kinda bigoted.

But sometimes there are things that are so unfortunate that you feel bad for what the child will have to put up with, like when parents use numbers in children's names as if they had troll typing quirks-- K8lyn and so on. Those are deliberate and show more concern with being clever than how much the kid will be teased or how often the young adult's resume is going to be read with a jaundiced eye.

If an adult does this to themself, it's a dick move to make fun of them, but I am still appalled by some of the things people do to their kids because they don't think or worse don't care.

• Agree x 1
  7. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

@cleverThylacine I take issue with calling the names "misspellings," specifically.

While I think this thread can toe the line a bit, I have no problems with pointing out different or weird spelling variants and going "why would you do that to a child" and similar reactions.

I do not think it is okay to say that someone's name is misspelled.
    That's all I'm saying

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Its more than a little offensive tbh, especially as what might seem like a wacky "missspelling" to one person is just how the name is spelled somewhere else.
    Its like saying Jean is a "missspelling" of John.

- signed, someone with a foreign name various people decided was a misspelling of a german one.

• Agree x 2
  9. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Speaking of actual name misspellings: I like to think the handful of people called "Jogn" on genealogy websites aren't due to a typo on the website itself.

10. cleverThylacine

Hah, I've a Japanese first name that people are sure is a variant (or misspelling) of a common English name. I feel you.

Thanks for clarifying! That makes much more sense. I've been ruminating on it for a few days off and on, trying to decide how it works that on one level I really agree with you and on another level I understand the temptation.

• Agree x 1
  11. Pukjie Ainsel

Pukjie Ainsel procrastinating overthinker

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 1
  12. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

not so much a bad name as one i feel bad for its owner, because it's Lee-Ann and somehow that messes people up

It gets spelled wrong even by someone I know who deals with her often enough that they should know how to spell it (writing it as leeanne, like pls take another go at it)

Edit: and a name i forgot about, one of my college classmates knew a kid named Shithead, which is grounds to fight the guy's parents with a leg of ham. He apparently pronounced it shuh-theed but uh still, neon sign saying "we are awful people and hate our child"

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  13. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

isnt the shithead name a vine?

14. I remember it from a RWJ video where someone with that name had a song she made and was on some dating site..?

15. rats

16. cleverThylacine

I have a friend named Lee Ann, and she is forever screwed by forms and sites and people who do not understand that a first name can have a space in it. Her name is not "Lee". The struggle is REAL.

Man, I thought "Shithead" as a name was a racist urban legend and I am NOT happy to know otherwise.

When I was a TA very briefly, there was a student in my section whose name was Michael Hunt. He preferred "Mike" but after the day he missed class I called him Michael when calling roll, not to be mean but because of the reaction of the other students when I said:

"Mike Hunt?... Mike Hunt? Is Mike Hunt in this room?"

• Witnessed x 6
  17. More names from work!

Dr Dang- not the most villainous doctor name ever.

Rogan- it sounds like Scooby Doo is saying your name, is this a real name I’m just not familiar with?

Hinkle Tinkle road- pfffffffft

18. rats

dang is a pretty common last name..... :v

19. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

not around here

• Agree x 3
  20. No it’s just “doctor dang.” It’s like Doctor No or something like that, or a goofy super villain title. I know it’s a real name, just kinda humorous. :P

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice