Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I stumbled across the delightful surname "Eggenberger".

• Winner x 7
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. Brecklyn.

• Witnessed x 4
  3. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

In an entertaining case of nominative determinism today I discovered while cataloging a book on the experience of Afro-Caribbean people in the United Kingdom penned by one David A. Bygott.

• Winner x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. Oh wow.

• Agree x 3
  5. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Saw a Name today that'd translate to 'of chicken leg' (nobel Titel 'of')

• Winner x 7
  6. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I once knew a girl in high school who was quite literally named 'annie mei'

• Witnessed x 9
  7. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

My mom had a coworker with the same name (different spelling, though). I had a hard time not chuckling every time she was mentioned.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Like x 1
  8. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Thankfully I didn't encounter this name in meatspace, but it came about because of the Sims 4 random generation: Will Dye

• Witnessed x 5
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

holy fuck

• Agree x 3
  10. A baby girl named “Noveh.”

• Witnessed x 1
  11. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Genifer.

• Winner x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  12. Irl. It was an older guy so it’s probably a spelling of “Earl” I’m not familiar with, not IRL, but still. This and the customer named Meme make me wonder.

• Witnessed x 3
  13. Acey

I’ve seen “Meme” occasionally as a term for “grandma,” a la “Granny,” but I believe it’s pronounced like “mee-mee.” (I still kinda giggle when I see it though tbh)

That said, I’ve never seen it as a given name...

14. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i have an online friend who goes by “meme” but i don’t think that’s their given name....?

• Like x 1
  15. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Technically, the word for grandma is "mémé", pronounced similarly enough to "may-may" I've seen a few people joke about it.

16. I've seen variations of that too, but no, this is someone's given name. Assuming it's a variation of Mimi.

• Informative x 2
  17. Acey

Ahh, yeah, that would make some sense. Still unfortunate, but it was probably way less unfortunate when she was born, unless she's a kid.

Relatedly, a name that's only unfortunate in English: There was a guy at a San Francisco Giants game who was being interviewed about something or other, and his name was Kimo--I'm guessing that's Japanese based on the spelling and pronunciation, and the guy looked Asian to me, and I'm sure it's a perfectly good name in Japanese or whatever other language it might be from, but...all I heard was "chemo." As in chemotherapy. Because that's how it was pronounced.

Like I said, that one's only really an issue in English, and I'm sure it's a perfectly valid name, but...jeez, poor guy. XD

18. Acey

Oh man, I don't think I've mentioned this one and I can't believe I haven't. YMMV on whether this one is unfortunate or badass--I think it's kinda both.

There used to be a parishoner (I say used to be because he's now deceased) at my parents' church whose surname was Shakespeare, right? Like, that was legit his surname. Okay, fair enough...except, I shit you not, his first name was William.

There was a man who was actually named William Shakespeare at my parents' church.

(Understandably, he went by Bill instead.)

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  19. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

is he actually deceased or is this just another in a long line of faked deaths to make sure that no one figures out that he is the immortal bard himself

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 1
  20. Acey

this is an excellent question and i suspect the latter

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice