Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. It was in our pharmacy database, so i am assuming it was not a typo.

Also- Ezzy. That's not a name, that's a ship from the Total Drama fandom.

• Informative x 2
  2. garden

garden lucid dreamer

if you mean eva/izzy, i think the ship name i usually see for that one is Evzy. unless... is ezekiel/izzy a thing??? i don't think i've seen that anywhere but Ezzy would work for a ship name for them i guess?

anyways, Ezzy just makes me think of like, Ozzy, like Ozzy Osbourne.

(...now that i think about it, "ozzy" is also a td ship...)

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. Ezekiel/Izzy. Idk if it’s actually popular but someone wrote fanfic about it and it got recommended on tvtropes. though Eva/Izzy would be a lot more gay.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

A guy who writes for the Washington Post has the first name Cleve and the middle initial R.

Cleve R. At least it's not as bad as Liber T. was, but. Wow.

(EDIT: To be completely fair, given how I'm assuming Cleve is pronounced, I'm guessing this was just a case of the parents not entirely thinking things through, rather than trying to make a stupid pun.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    • Like x 3
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

"Cleaver" isn't much better. :::PPP

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. Acey

This is extremely true. :P

7. Acey

Here's a narrow aversion for ya: I have a good friend whose last name is Robinson, and a few years ago he married his long-time girlfriend. (They're very happy together and now have an adorable baby daughter!)

Anyway, his wife's first name?

Robyn.

Understandably, she kept her maiden name when they wed. :P

• Winner x 8
    • Witnessed x 1
  8. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Someone in our HR department has a name like that, e.g. Falcon Falconpunch (names changed to protect the apathetic) and I am forever curious if it was parents or marriage that did that to them

• Witnessed x 4
  9. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Time for a little rule 63 Doctor Who with Ross Tylar.

• Winner x 7
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Dick Wilt.

• Witnessed x 11
  11. Jaymz.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 1
  12. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

No D:

• Agree x 5
  13. Acey

Apparently some famous person named her daughter Kulture.

Kulture.

• Witnessed x 13
  14. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Had someone in the hospital yesterday by first name of Sunny

• Like x 2
  15. Acey

Sunny is actually one I've heard a fair bit (albeit mostly in fiction--Sunny Baudelaire from A Series Of Unfortunate Events springs immediately to mind), although I imagine it's significantly less common in Germany given the language difference? But it's not unheard of, at the very least.

Still arguably a bit unfortunate for the same reason Sun is unfortunate, though. :P

16. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Sunny is not uncommon, but then I started thinking, "Wait if this was any other weather pattern it would be weird. Like Windy or Hail or Tropical Storm. Why is Sunny accepted :|" and now I made Sunny weird for myself.

Granted we also had a professor a couple years ago first-named Snow, but we also thought that was a touch unusual (she was just so precious she could have been named Rockingchair and we'd've been like "ok!")

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  17. Acey

That’s actually something I think about a lot, mostly with like, nature or gemstone names?

Like...flower names, for instance. No one is gonna bat an eye at a kid named Rose or Violet or Lily or what have you, but...I remember once having a book as a kid about a little girl named Chrysanthemum, and in that book she got bullied for it. I can kiiiiinda get why that specific name would be a difficult one (although honestly it’s kinda pretty, and she could just go by Chris), but my point about these things being kinda arbitrary stands.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  18. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Hail, or more commonly Hailey is a name tho. And it's not nearly as common, but Stormy is also an acceptable weather related name.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  19. Acey

Huh, I’ve heard Hailey plenty of times but never Hail! I don’t doubt you, I’ve just never heard it myself.

• Agree x 1
  20. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I've seen variations of Rain as names before too, but it seems like the more elaborate or specific the object being referenced, the more 'strange' object names seem to be (provided we're not far removed from the object in question; a lot of names now used to be combinations of object words, but once we're several centuries away from the root word, it's forgotten as a root word.)

So calling your kid Rose or Sunny isn't culturally weird, but calling them Roseae or Typhoon gets weird looks because those are still associated with specific objects beyond their cultural designation as names.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice