Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I've always though Vriska was a very pretty name but. Iiiiiii would not name a kid that.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  2. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

Karkat was already a name, if an uncommon one here, bc it's derived from the sanskrit name of the cancer constellation

personally, I'm waiting for the inevitable hordes of tween girls in cat ears named Nepeta to start showing up at cons in about 15 years

• Like x 10
  3. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

the really terrible thing about Homestuck-named children is gonna be, like, the stealth ones. 'cause the human kids do actually have, y'know, human names, and even "Calliope" is pretty legit compared to, like, "Sollux." so for the rest of my life, whenever I encounter a kid born after 2010ish (when were the alpha kids introduced again?) named John, Dave, Rose, Jade, Jane, Jake, Roxy, or Dirk, there will always be that terrible, terrible suspicion...

• Like x 15
    • Agree x 1
  4. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

now, if you find a sibling pair with homestuck names, that's when you really know

• Like x 12
    • Agree x 2
  5. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

little did we know canadian politician Maryam Monsef was a homestuck all along

((yes i know the name came first im being silly))

• Like x 8
  6. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I would name a kid Aradia tbh

• Like x 7
  7. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Not gonna lie, the first thing I thought of when I saw "Jaygo" the other day was oh god this child is one letter away from being a wicked elixir

• Like x 12
    • Agree x 1
  8. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

@Socket

There was a couple in my local anime con scene that named their baby Sephiroth years ago.

Either it's the same kid or there is more than one child named Sephiroth. Which.

Why.

• Like x 10
  9. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

That reminds me of a post going around tumblr a while back about a baby girl named Sailor Moon.

• Like x 3
  10. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

• Like x 16
  11. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I remember seeing more info about him - his parents let him and his sister change their names as children, if they wanted to, and that's what he chose. I love that he chose that name and then stuck with it. That is a man who knows what he likes.

• Like x 14
  12. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Yes! He was an inspiration to me when I was worrying that changing my name to Léo was "too silly". Dr. Loki Skylizard says choose your own name! Follow your dreams!

• Like x 13
  13. Arxon

Arxon Well-Known Member

One of my high school teachers had a family that did the same initial thing for him and his two sisters. None of their names are that weird, since they all start with S...except their last name also started with S. Failure to think out initials.

• Like x 4
  14. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I just remembered a guy I went to school with had the unfortunate name of James James. He loathed it, and changed it pretty much as soon as he hit 18.

• Like x 12
  15. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

who invited james james

• Like x 13
    • Winner x 1
  16. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm jealous of how easily you can change your name in the US. Until just now, you needed to go to court for a first name change here, and you basically can't change your family name at all.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Like x 1
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

One of my friend's professors in college was named kenneth weed and he had a doctorate so everyone called him dr.weed and if that doesnt sound like a supervillain/hero name i dont know what does

• Like x 17
  18. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

One of my teachers in High School told us that he had a childhood friend whose first name was "Mer", which is "Sea" in French... and whose last name was "da Silva", one of the most common surnames in Brazil. His name was Mer da Silva, but "merda" in portuguese means shit. So he was Shit Silva.

This same teacher once had a student named Uri Noll.

• Like x 17
  19. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

My grandmother tells us that she used to have a classmate in school whose name was Mika Gay - and at the time "gay" didn't have much of the connotations it has now, but "Mika Gay" sounds exactly like "I shat myself" in BR-PT ("me caguei"). She tried to pronounce it Guy instead but then it sounded like the very old-fashioned 2nd person plural imperative ("me cagai"), something like "I beg thee shit on me". Which... didn't help.

• Like x 16
    • Winner x 1
  20. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

psst actually if it's second-person plural it'd be "I beg you shit on me" because "thee" is exclusively second-person singular (bring back second-person singular and plural distinctions in English 2k16) /grammar sperg

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice