Bad, Hilarious, Or Just Absurd Baby Names

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Acey, Oct 5, 2016.

1. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@esotericPrognosticator thing is, it's vós in Portuguese which is BOTH single and plural, though it's technically classified as a plural! So it would have been wrong to call it 2nd person singular, or even 2nd person singular/plural, because that's not how we classify it, technically, BUT it can be translated to thee. We did the opposite of what you guys did regarding 2nd person forms and the singular/plural divide! We had "tu", plural form "vós" (though it could be singular as well, especially when addressing someone respectfully), and "você", plural form "vocês". Currently "vós" is extinct in Brazil and "tu" is going down the same road. I deliberately translated it with "thee" because I wanted to convey that feeling of sounding ridiculously antiquated, and it's not gramatically incorrect ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Like x 5
  2. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Well, 'easy'. It costs hundreds of dollars, and just how many hundreds varies by state. There are other requirements too - some states require posting your name change in a newspaper.

• Like x 4
  3. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Wow. Never felt more lucky to live in Scotland- when I needed a name change on my passport, all I needed was a declaration signed by an independent witness who knew me, declaring that basically I wanted be known as X, and I wasn't defrauding anyone. Cost me three sheets of paper and printer ink, it was accepted as valid, no problems. Unbelievably simple.

• Like x 5
  4. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

and some states you also have to go in front of a judge and be like 'oh this is why i am changing my name' which is also a huge pain in the ass

EDIT: this is IN ADDITION to hundreds of dollars. not an 'or' thing.

• Like x 4
  5. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

met an adorable child like 2 weeks ago named Luca, which is a perfectly nice name- except he was named after the octopus from shark tale?
    image.jpeg

• Like x 5
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Terrifying namesake! D:

• Like x 1
  7. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Yup, and the purpose of announcing your name change in a newspaper is in case someone wants to dispute it, which is... :excalibur:

• Like x 5
  8. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

hrm. so is it a matter of formality? if it does indicate respect (I assume "it" is the verb/verb ending, given that Portuguese is a Romance language), "thee" isn't appropriate, 'cause despite how it sounds to English speakers today, for a while "thou" was the singular informal while "you" was the plural informal and formal and the singular formal. I thiiiiink this was like 17th-century-ish? don't quote me on that. (also, a fun fact: Quakers deliberately went around calling everybody "thou" when most people would address their superiors as "you." it was a cool linguistic way to express their belief in human equality. perhaps unsurprisingly that was one of the things that really pissed the British aristocracy off about Quakers.) ...is the verb ending singular or plural, by the by? or does it not specify?

...also, I'm kind of "D:"ing at what Portuguese did with those originally Latin pronouns. "tu" and "vós" are faithful to the original Latin "tū" and "vōs," at least, but where did "você" and "vocês" come from??? in Latin, assuming that ê is equivalent to ē, those are the ablative of vox (voice) and the present active subjunctive second-personal singular of vocō, which??? why are those pronouns. tl;dr:
    Portuguese: I have created a second-person pronoun
    Latin: you fucked up a perfectly good verb is what you did. look at it. it's got anxiety

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 1
  9. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@esotericPrognosticator I understand that, but in translating I wasn't thinking in terms of its historical connotations of informality but rather its modern-day connotation of "this way of speaking is old as balls". (EDIT: also note that I said "especially", not "exclusively", usage contexts varied a lot in a country as big as Brazil, and if you add Portugal and the other Portuguese-speaking countries in the world, oh boy...) I would like to get a little bit of credit here as the person in this conversation who *is* fluent in both languages involved and in translating a joke tried to bridge their vastly different linguistic structures in the best way they could find.

As for the verb ending, it does not specify.

Also, você is originally a contraction, of a 3rd person way of addressing someone respectfully when that person had no formal title - "vossa mercê", lit. "your mercy", in the same line as "your grace", "your highness", "your excellency" etc. Around the 19th century it was shortened to vosmicê (singular) or vosmicês (plural) and then to its current form.

• Like x 1
  10. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I can only hope he changed it to James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree

• Like x 13
  11. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

...I'm gonna have that stuck in my head for hours now.

• Like x 2
  12. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

i named a parody character bara-rose once. ("bara" = japanese for rose iudnk)

glances sheepishly to the side... I have a set of oc twins named april and may... but, tbf, they were born on either side of midnight april 30/may 1, so.

i know someone else from this family. small planet.

I got this but for "ross" once. and once the right first name but a *completely different kid's last name*, we proceeded to ask when we'd been married.

my mom's family is roughly half A names, I feel this. Off the top of my head: anne, amy, alex, allison, austin, I think there's an adrien? and like two more. the only one I'm sure we DON'T have is an anthony.

i was in fact almost named calliope, which was hilarious when her name first dropped, because i felt like the only one in the fandom who could pronounce it.

• Like x 4
  13. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

aren't baras also the really buff guys in manga and anime?

• Like x 2
  14. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

That is what Western fans of gay manga like to call the stuff that's more aimed at male readers. The artists and the Japanese gay community consider it an outdated term and kinda offensive. These days, Japanese gay manga (and the people who read it) just go by the term ゲイ/gay.

• Like x 2
  15. unknownanonymous

oh. sorry!

16. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

• Like x 1
  17. unknownanonymous

18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, I've mostly seen it used for big buff (usually hairy) dudes.

• Like x 1
  19. esotericPrognosticator

esotericPrognosticator still really excited about kobolds tbqh

yeah, of course I'll give you a little bit of credit! a lot of credit, even. ...I may be wildly off here (I'm not good at reading tone, sorry), but I'm getting the impression that you're somewhat upset? or at least that you're thinking I'm a) criticizing and b) being overcritical of you/your translation/your linguistic skills in general. which is a perfectly reasonable thing to be upset about, but I'd like to clarify that I didn't intend to criticize or upset you personally in any way. this is somewhat of a reoccurring problem for me, actually—someone'll say a thing in an academic/informational setting, and I'll question it or disagree with it or try to poke holes in it. I'm not doing that to feel superior or smart or anything like that; I just kinda like to pick apart and evaluate statements or logical arguments. I very much rein in that impulse in normal social settings, because it turns out most people don't like having their perceived factual errors corrected (I do, which I think is a lot of the problem), but in academic ones I've been told that that's an acceptable thing to do in the context of debate. so I do it, and I really don't mean anything personal by it, and I don't mean anything more than I say, but people sometimes get offended or hurt? and in the moment I can't tell what's inappropriate. I guess I was thinking of this as an academic context; I felt free to do my spergy best to present my understanding of the grammar in question and to understand yours. I didn't mean it seriously at all. you might note the meme deployment in my most recent post. I thought both of us were having a fun sort of brisk back-and-forth, but if that's not how it was for you, I'm really really sorry. :( and none of the above is meant as an excuse, just an explanation, but it doesn't matter why I hurt you if I did.

• Like x 1
  20. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@esotericPrognosticator Thanks for that reply. To me, it does have some Unfortunate Implications since, in getting a degree in English, way too often have I faced situations in which my linguistic skills in English were assumed to be less than they were by native speakers - often, quite ironically, when THEY were the ones who didn't have a proper grasp of the words I was using, like the American exchange student who tried to correct me when I said "cravat" by very slowly saying "oh, you mean a TIE" -, and I felt that you were making a couple of condescending assumptions about my fluency levels and general knowledge, and also trying to nitpick the translation of a word whose meaning and historical usage I was having to explain to you. It's a discussion in unequal terms.

You mentioned an "academic context", but to me as an actual academic with a degree in Portuguese and English, said context involves a significant amount of being splained to rather than respected as an intellectual equal. I was for the most part already aware of the information you provided (though I think I only found out that "you" used to be more formal than "thou" last month or so), it just wasn't really relevant in determining whether thou and vós were suitable equivalents in this case.

I'm sure you didn't have any malicious intent and I realize you were going off on one of your interests and I get that unintentionally upsetting people when that happens sucks, so I really hope you don't feel bad about it because I know you weren't being malicious and I really appreciate your apology <3

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice