bandit king of lunch and string

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by jacktrash, Dec 16, 2018.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

it's really really dry in my house. my skin feels like it's shrinking. we need to blast every humidifier we have simultaneously.

• Witnessed x 6
  2. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

Model your opponent characters after specific fairy tales? One of them can be the Devil character in The Handless Maiden, Another can be a fairly horrifying King/noble from Donkeyskin. (I would suggest Russian fairy tales but I don't know very many, except the Firebird and the one with Vasilisa and Baba Yaga.)

A book that might help is Indexing by Seanan McGuire, which is about a team of people who attempt to keep "memetic incursions" (fairy tales coming true) from happening. (It is really good.)

• Like x 4
  3. jacktrash

ooh, that looks boss. i like the way you think.

4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Theres one russian fairytale about an evil sorceror that might come in handy in general but I forgot the name. Its very well known though.

• Like x 1
  5. OtherCat

Koschei the Deathless?

• Agree x 1
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

7. jacktrash

i never really grokked his motives, though. wasn't he just sort of collecting brides?

8. jacktrash

the reason casimir and gareth are able to break the cycle is because they're both outsiders, not subject to the Fairytale Rules thing. when narrative magic gets to them at all, it can only get a grip on the stories they grew up with. casimir grew up with arctic people's stories, which tend to be kind of existential and random. Shit Happens And Sometimes It's Real Weird, kind of stories. gareth grew up on ships, hearing sailors' stories, which are big on individual agency but not so big on scripted morality. this makes both of them hard to railroad into convenient roles.

on the meta level, though, this is all held in place by a conspiracy of gods who are not going to give up their favorite game board without a fight, and they'll break their own rules if need be. they're not all-powerful -- in fact, by the climax of the series our heroes will actually be powerful enough to go toe to toe with a god or two in person. we're talking like greek or norse gods power level. they can do Big Big Magic and sling thunderbolts and whatnot, but personally throwing a mountain would be a once-in-an-epic occurrence, and they can't create things from nothing or create souls or anything like that. mortal tricksters can still fuck with them. they mostly work through humans.

there are also plenty of gods outside this region, and those gods are not playing the same game. and are kind of :rolleyes: about this pantheon. it's like these guys have been obsessed with their little sims game for a few thousand years while the other gods have been doing sports and getting laid.

and various gods and nature spirits and djinn and whatnot move freely in the world and do their own thing. our heroes both have a personal connection to such outside forces. casimir is the Witness's pet human, and can 'summon' it -- more like channel it? maybe? -- to instantly destroy undead and constructs and summons. gareth kind of has the equivalent of a doctorate in the study of chi as it manifests in the form of place spirits and spiritual hot spots, and can organize ambient life force into a thing called the Golden Lotus, which is kind of a nuke that only acts on magic and doesn't affect material objects at all. as you can imagine, both of these are godkiller level abilities, and the local gods Do Not Like It.

• Like x 7
  9. OtherCat

Something like that!

I am amazed Marya Morevna took Ivan back after the entire "accidentally frees evil sorcerer" thing.

• Agree x 1
  10. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Oh, hmm... then the goldfish would have come from the magic well at the center of the enchanted garden on the abandoned side of the estate, and likely told the kid its name itself.

Then they probably spent the next two and a half weeks arguing over the semantics of wish-granting, after which the goldfish went belly-up out of spite.

... I wonder if the goldfish you win at carnivals in Fairytale Land are the kind that grant wishes? That’d be a great fair prize... a cheap, pretty fish that grants one wish, badly, and dies ten minutes after you get it home.

(I have not had good luck with fair goldfish. Didn’t even make it out of the park. I think they must have packaged the take-home bags with chlorinated water. :smithsad:)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Those sheep have entirely too many polygons and it disturbs me.

• Agree x 1
  12. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

@jacktrash another thing you could do would be to have some of them have been drafted into being secondary characters, not necessarily the big bads of their respective fairy tales? Like, yeah, you could have your Bluebeards, but you could also have, e.g. the parents of fairy tale protagonists who have a tendency to drop off the face of the planet once the plot gets going, or spare siblings from one of those stories like The Wild Swans or The Twelve Dancing Princesses where there's N siblings but they only really matter as a group. They've already played their bit in one story and have now been slotted in as Background Courtiers, so the gods aren't paying very much attention any more and consequently, they can worry about boring government things like taxes and censuses and making sure the Legions of Doom get paid on time with minimal divine interference.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    • Like x 8
  13. jacktrash

hmm! you've got me thinking thoughts!

• Like x 2
  14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

honestly, I've got me thinking thoughts, because I'm now imagining some random noble who had that thing with his daughter and the flax 20 years ago but has otherwise been pretty stable and mostly focused on promoting trade on the caravan route that runs through his lands, and has achieved a certain amount of respect and social capital just for being consistently sensible, and then he gets mad at Casimir for a sane governance reason, and suddenly the gods notice him as Noble Opposing Evil Overlord

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  15. jacktrash

that poor sonofabitch. i just might use this.

• Like x 6
  16. jacktrash

seebs and i have been watching lucifer, and now casimir's boygirlfriend zuzu looks like mazikeen.

nooooo brain don't do that, i like maze but she's mean, zuzu is supposed to be fun-loving and mischevious!

• Like x 2
  17. jacktrash

i always assumed he was just. really really hot.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. jacktrash

i'm on another taper of prednisone, and once again, food is suddenly AMAZINGLY EDIBLE. and this time i don't have a flu, so i'm feeling quite capable of cooking for myself. the problem is... choice paralysis. fish? hot dogs? beef stew? skettios? different fish? pierogis? something with rice? turkey sammich? grilled cheese sammich? tomato soup? I DONT KNOW THEY ALL SOUND GOOD and they all sound like they'll make my left leg go numb, because prednisone doesn't fix my spine and standing up long enough to cook pinches a nerve. but hungry!

• Witnessed x 4
  19. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

roll a d10?

20. jacktrash

helpy barb suggested square pizza so that is what i'm having. square za is terrible cardboardy frozen pizza but i love it with a weird fervor.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice