bandit king of lunch and string

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by jacktrash, Dec 16, 2018.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

ok the ending was kinda weird, and i have Questions. but that was still a really good comic. i'm pleased.

2. jacktrash

note to self: when you get around to writing 'hench!' you should include a zombie apocalisn't. have some villain unleash a zombie virus, assuming it'll go like in the movies, but instead the CDC quarrantines the neighborhood within 15 minutes, swat teams in shark diving chainmail corral the infected and shut them in so they can't hurt anyone, and everyone else gets decon showers and orange blankets.

the superhero scientist who comes up with the cure gets a nobel prize. the supervillain gets laughed out of the villain club. rocket and shoe roll their eyes and are like "thank fuck we work for a sane mad scientist."

• Winner x 8
    • Agree x 2
  3. jacktrash

lately it seems like every game is only avaliable through steam. steam is annoying. why doesn't anyone sell the fucking game directly. i don't want to participate in the steam circus. i don't want my computer pestering me with steam stuff every time i get on. i just want the one goddamn game. why is it like this.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 3
  4. jacktrash

when i do the zombie apocalisn't:

rocket, who is only like 10% faster and stronger than a regular person: "what do you think, baseball bat? fire axe? we gotta bash their heads in, right?"
    shoe, whose supervillain power is always having a lot of guns, producing an over/under shotgun/grenade launcher: "rocket, zombies are made of meat. they're not even wearing kevlar. mall cops are more dangerous than zombies, because mall cops can call 911."

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Mall cops are also probably significantly more adept at stairs.

• Agree x 8
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Paul blart mall cop 3: the apocalypse

• Winner x 9
  7. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Best as I understand it, it's so that they can get around having to put DRM in the games. If it's available through Steam, Steam does any DRM for them and also makes sure that customers only need to pay for the game once and can put it on any computer they want.

Humble Bundle stuff, I think, doesn't require you have Steam to use the games, but does have an option to link it to Steam (so that you don't lose your copy of the game if something happens to your computer).

• Informative x 2
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I’m guessing for a lot of games you could probably bypass steam by pirating them, but. Then you’d have to pirate them.

9. jacktrash

i guess i see the utility, but it means i can't play my games if i don't have internet, even if the game itself doesn't need internet.

• Agree x 1
  10. LadyNighteyes

You can go into an offline mode once you're in, and as long as the game is downloaded and doesn't have some other dumb DRM, you can play it.

• Agree x 1
  11. jacktrash

but don't i have to log onto steam to do that? which takes internet. like, when my internet goes down for hours, steam can't check that i really have an account, so i wouldn't be able to get at my games.

12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

It only needs to check that you have an account upon starting up Steam itself. So like, if it starts when your computer does and you don't fully exit out of it, it only needs internet access once per time your computer starts up

• Agree x 1
  13. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Also it's possible to start Steam on offline mode so long as you've already logged into Steam once on that computer

see.png

(screenie taken like 5 seconds ago, i turned off wifi on my laptop to demonstrate)

• Useful x 3
  14. jacktrash

huh, i didn't know that! that makes it significantly less crappy, thank you.

15. LadyNighteyes

acopalypse

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  16. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Also, once the game is installed, you don't even have to have steam open, iirc, you can get at it through the start menu. might vary game to game?
    (my issue is the game itself needing internet when it really really shouldn't)

• Informative x 1
  17. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Requires you specifically setting it up so that you can access it from the desktop or start menu, when you install it, if I recall. Or at least, I remember always getting prompted on whether or not I want to have it installed so that I can start the game from the desktop, when I install/reinstall something.

• Informative x 1
  18. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

That's just asking if you want a menu icon added for you. You can add shortcuts to the exe file that gets launched manually, if you want, or even just launch the exe direct from its folder if you really want (it's in steamapps\common)

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  19. fowlJ

fowlJ Member

It's a per-game thing, in my experience, where some require you to have steam open (though not necessarily online), and others can just be launched from the executable even with steam closed. (If I had to guess, older titles are probably more likely to lack this requirement.)

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. jacktrash

my momentary desire to play 'dream daddy' has passed. i don't even really like dating sims. that's seebs's thing. so thanks for your advice and info, all, but enough about steam. let's talk about paul blart zombie acopalypse. or stupid life hacks.

or how i have a doctor appointment today to discuss my left leg being numb, and how nothing can be done about it. :toot:

• Witnessed x 14
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice