bandit king of lunch and string

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by jacktrash, Dec 16, 2018.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

you had less than ideal poutine. ideally, the fries are crunchy, the cheese curds are squeaky, and the gravy has been applied recently enough that it doesn't slimify anything. sounds like the poutine you had was sitting around a while so the gravy sogged up the fries, and also possibly the gravy was thickened with something weird.

some commercial thickeners are kind of slimy, like the kind made from seaweed, but jar gravy uses it because starch thickeners break down over time, and sometimes get weird-looking at room temperature or refrigerator temperature. like when i make homemade gravy, and i use corn starch or potato starch, the leftover portion that i put in the fridge kind of cracks and gets some liquid in the cracks, and it looks very ugly and unappetizing. of course when you stir it up it's fine. but companies selling gravy want it to look pretty in the jar, not tumerous. so they use various gels and gums to keep it handsome. and imo those taste slimy, and i do not like them.

long story short, give poutine another chance, from a place that makes their gravy in-house. (why don't we have a thumbs up emoji? pretend i put one here)

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 2
  2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

theres a place where i live that makes different kinds of poutine, i like their montreal smoked meat kind but i can only eat the smaller size

• Like x 3
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

That's really good to know, thank you so much! The fries were definitely pretty soggy, which didn't help my impression, so...yeah, sounds like it was just kinda bad poutine. :P

(Also we should absolutely have regular ol' emoji support on this forum but idk if that's even possible with the forum software, but your virtual thumbs-up has been acknowledged. Please imagine that okay hand emoji thingy here.)

• Like x 1
  4. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's definitely a sub-par poutine. Soggy fries and slimy gravy is....No. The only way it could be worse if it were cold on top of that.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  5. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

As far as I know the term doesn't vary regionally. From what I remember I was definitely told cottage cheese not dry cheese curds. (Dry cheese curds sound much better than cottage cheese! I am still not sure about gravy.)

• Agree x 1
  6. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I have never seen cottage cheese on poutine....

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  7. jacktrash

i use cottage cheese as a dip for potato chips, so it'd probably taste good to me at least, but you'd have to eat it quick or it'd make everything soggo.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

Hey Jesse, have you heard of a video game called Where The Water Tastes Like Wine? It seems like it'd be your jam in a major way. Travel across the US as a vagrant, collecting seeds of stories that you tell to others and that change and warp over time to become folklore as they get passed down through the grapevine. Set in the Great Depression, has incredible music.

9. jacktrash

that sounds like an amazing story i'd love to read, but i can't imagine how it could be a game!

10. Kathy

Kathy Well-Known Member

It's honestly like a neat spin on the presentation of a VN. It's an open world, so you can wander any way you want, except you can't cross into Canada or Mexico. The stories are intensely regional, the soundtrack will shift to fit different regions. You can just walk, whistle a tune to speed up, hitch a ride on a boxcar or hitchhike, or actually pay for a train ticket. The game elements come in passing on the stories to specific characters you can meet along the road - they don't want to hear the same story twice, and each has preferences. I found a mexican woman who spends her days walking from fruit picking job to fruit picking job, worn down and in need of hopeful stories, and a man who grew up on rag thrillers and wants to hear of the adventures again. After you've spent a night swapping stories, each person will move on.
    If you tell them the stories they want to hear, you can become their friend and they'll open up. You can also tell them other stories, and they'll offer their perspective on the theme.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
  11. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

What's your fave? I go for cheddar ruffles + cottage cheese.

12. jacktrash

plain ripple chips, and i put cajun spice on the cottage cheese. :D

• Like x 2
  13. jacktrash

it's helpybarb's day off, and seebs was busy working, so i made my own breakfast. on the one hand, OW OW OW OW stairs before painkillers are SUCH A BAD. on the other hand, i made lovely fluffy scrambled eggs with mirin and put them on top of some reheated leftover rice and ate that with soy sauce, and it was Very Nice. i have a competence!

i am beardy and i have stonk. i smell like sick guy sweat. i must remember this time: SHAVE BEFORE SHOWER. otherwise hair crumbs.

i don't actually remember my dreams last night, but i know they were pretty dumb, because i came awake with the words "that's just fucking stupid" in my mouth. i didn't sleep well. i sorta remember half waking up every time i turned over. when barb came to prod me i didn't so much wake up as stop trying to sleep.

also it's all gray out and two of the bulbs on my full spectrum lamp are burnt out. i need to replace those. gotta go to menards or home depot or lowes or something, i forget which one is near here. get those daylight bulbs, string trimmer line to replace my spinning wheel drive band, and something for plants that i forget what it was.

O SHIT i gotta pot my forcing bulbs! was supposed to do that in december. bugger.

today is not great.

• Witnessed x 8
  14. jacktrash

one of the blogthreads i was reading here mentioned 'that time I got reincarnated as a slime' and i checked it out and it's SO CUTE! and i want to say thanks but i don't remember who it was that was talking about it.

• Winner x 3
  15. jacktrash

seebs fixed the pool pump but couldn't remember the word 'pump' and said "water push noun" and i'm dying of cute

• Winner x 17
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

That was probably me! I’m glad you like it :D the protagonist is so good, I almost never like the protags of that kind of anime but this guy is just the best

• Like x 2
  17. jacktrash

he is! he's got such a great attitude, and he's so good at getting people to work together. thanks for talking about it, i'm really loving it.

• Like x 3
  18. jacktrash

i watched 8 episodes in a row and it really saved my day. thanks so much, @vuatson . i've got an earache and sinus headache and neck cramp on top of everything, and it could've been a really terrible day, but instead i petted a kitty and watched this kindly dad-age dude-turned-invulnerable-bouncey-ball improve people's lives. this was an excellent choice.

now i'm going to play minecraft for a while and take care of my lil village dudes. minecolonies is pretty great, you can do things like instantly teleport all your people into the town hall in case of zombie attack. i will keep them all Safe.

• Winner x 6
  19. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

If you like gravy it's real good because, let's be honest, fries are good delivery system for most things.

The kinds I've had were a thin, almost clear light brown kinda gravy. Not the sausage gravy you'd use on biscuits in the south.

Hmm, still thinner than turkey gravy too, but that's closer.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

!!!!! that makes me so happy to hear! I’m glad your day was improved by the thing ^^

...actually I think I watched it in similar circumstances (cat included), while I was getting over a cold. Its particular blend of escapism and worldbuilding and positivity really takes the edge off an illness. Maybe I’ll read the manga the next time I pull a muscle or something!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice