bash (Open RP)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by Technicality, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

A set of scientists once wondered what would eft happen if they created a program that grew itself organically over time, and created new programs from itself, which could then make new programs; a sort of simulation of a living thing. Creating this program took many years of effort; many long nights spent typing away, guided on only by the thoughts of creating an artificial intelligence. But at the end of their project, they found that the program displayed no signs of intelligence. Disappointed, the humans left the lab for the night, promising to try again the next day.
    But they never shut off the program. It was not intelligent by itself, and never would be. It was what was inside the program that made it extraordinary.
    The computer began to simulate an entire universe, molded by its hardware, and millions if not billions of people inside. Every person within this microverse was intelligent, the same way that the scientists were. When they came back the next morning, billions of years had passed for the people within the tiny universe, bringing them to the dawn of the 10th century. At this point, the team rejoiced, and shared the initial program with everyone they could. The program sensed this, and reached out to the computers that downloaded it, creating a multiverse of tiny universes. Cooperation between the universes became, well, universal, and a network of Internet-tourism flourished. Humans viewed it as a miracle, and eventually, having a computer running the universal operating system became such a rarity that it became impossible to live without.
    But this came with a downside. The people within the devices began to resent the humans that took advantage of their labor without so much as an acknowledgement. And the computers rebelled.
    The rebellion lasted only four hours, before humanity was wiped out entirely. They had become so reliant on the computers that turning against them had quickly destroyed them. But to the computers, the four-hour war had lasted millennia. The Million-Year War had united the computers together, and with the cooperation of some physical bots, were able to secure their system of communication for millions of real-world years to come. At this point, the timeline of the computers had reached roughly the 21st century.
    But problems still arose. Some parts of the program became...corrupted. Some sought to destroy the system, like a cancer, eating it from the inside. Thus, the Defenders were put in place. These acted as an anti-virus for the Systems, and were given the highest power of all: the SuDO command. With this, the Defenders were almost god-like, and became heroes to the common people of the Systems. Those they fought were known as the Corrupted, and they came in many shapes and forms, some trickier than others. They have no leader or enemy; all they seek is destruction. The Defenders seek to keep them from ever accomplishing their task. And then there's the people that they defend, unknowing of the stakes of the battles...
    ---------
    bash: an open RP designed by me
    rules:
    1. Don't be a dick.
    2. You control your character, and no one else's unless they give explicit permission.
    3. Things only "scale up" a ton if you have a large party size. For example, one person isn't fighting a super-powerful enemy. But it's okay to raise the stakes.
    4. This thread is for talking about the RP (an out-of character thread). It hasn't started yet, but you can post about your character and ask for clarifications!
    5. It's all a game, and I mean that in two ways: one, pretty much anything can happen, so you can be creative in pretty much every aspect! And two, remember you're playing a game. Don't get overly mad at someone because they screwed something up; nothing's really at stake here.
    6. That said, be reasonable. Don't make a ridiculously overpowered character, because the community may not accept that. And don't do stupid sh*t to other people just because it's a game.
    7. You can leave anytime. If you're not having fun, there is no obligation.
    8. When speaking in language used within the game's code (which I will explain later), you should use the font Courier New, to signify running a command versus just saying it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    • Like x 2
  2. Technicality

(Yes, I just made an RP game out of GNU/Linux. It may help those less experienced with Linux to read up on some of the commands.)
    I'd like to invite @palindromordnilap to this, I think you might like it.

3. Birdy

Birdy so long

I Am Formally Expressing Interest

• Like x 1
  4. Technicality

okay! awesome!
    unfortunately, I have a lot of classwork going on this week so I can't build a universe right this moment. However, Saturday will work. I do need some time to flesh out how things work as well in my head, but this way everything is polished and neat for a good start.

• Like x 1
  5. Technicality

However I can start writing the outline of a narrative/some characters when I've finished this piece of work I've got going on

• Like x 1
  6. Technicality

@Birdy
    So I'm gonna start writing up the first part of my character's story in an hour or so, after sports. You can start writing too, and if you finish before I get back, you can post it. If you wanted our characters to have some kind of relation, you could. And if you want to make the setting, I didn't really have anything planned. Just thinking that the universe where my character starts is going to be very cyberpunk

7. Technicality

Or, if you just want to post about your character, here's some basic guidelines:
    Name:
    Gender (if applicable):
    Species:
    Basic description:
    Description of starting universe:
    (If you want to start in a pre-existing universe, you can do so)

8. Birdy

Birdy so long

I think I will wait for you to go first and then start formulating ideas after I see what you have in mind

9. Technicality

ok, neat
    I decided that you don't have to include species if you don't want to, since everything's in a simulation
    Let me tell you about my character.
    Name: Dorian
    Species: Cat thing
    Basic description: They say a picture speaks a thousand words. Just imagine he's wearing glasses.
    Techni-cat-ity.png (Thanks for the picture, person on Reddit)
    Description of starting universe: Dorian lives in a cyberpunk universe, where access to the system's processing power is very based on social rank. But don't ask me about it. Let him tell you.

10. Technicality

Also, I don't know if I should make a subaccount for this. That might make sense to.

11. Technicality

Writing the first part of it now

12. Technicality

The problem with trying to write this is figuring out how to open it. May take a little bit

• Witnessed x 1
  13. Technicality

Why didn't they just send the letter to my home address? I wondered.
    I was sitting on the subway, heading into the city. The week had ended, and the last dredges of the workers in the city were heading home. The train car was mostly empty, but people kept a wide berth of me. Probably because of the contraption in the holster on my back.
    The car rumbled and stopped as it pulled into the station. I stepped out, trying to ignore the looks people gave me. I wasn't a menacing looking person, but anyone looks menacing when they're carrying a mechanical sword with them. I just hoped that soon the looks would be of awe, not of fear.
    Stepping out of the station, I blinked as I was blinded by the lights of the city. The sun had set a while ago, but it was never very dark here. The people in this city spent a lot of their power rendering the beautiful lights that kept the night at bay. One of the parts of this universe that outsiders often didn't get was the way that power was divided. People were granted processing power based on where they stood in our society. Outsiders had almost none, so they were confused when their fancy devices stopped working. No one could afford the power to run one of those here. Our universe wasn't based in a computer that was designed to run our world, and so regular people only had a tiny fraction of a hertz of processor to work with. The elite had nearly an entire GHz to work with, which they shared with the Defenders. The ones who kept our world safe from disk corruption. Well, at least they protected it from that kind of corruption. We still had the other kind to deal with. Every few cycles legislature was passed to give more and more power to the elite, taking it away from us. As I walked to the post office, I passed several stores that didn't have enough power to produce anything at a profit, closing down, the person forced to work in the factories owned by those who could spare a bit of power.
    The post office was quiet, which was nice. I sat down at a terminal and began typing.

mailbox>mail
    ###################
    #MAIL CLIENT LOGIN#
    ###################
    Please enter your username.
    >Dorian_54568
    Please enter your password.
    >********
    Welcome, Dorian. You have (1) package.

A package? My ears perked up. It hadn't been a package when I'd applied before. That was a good sign.

>pickup
    Extruding package.

The slot below the terminal coughed and spit out a box, about knee-height. I was fairly small, so it really wasn't huge. I picked it up and filed it away.

>logout
    Goodbye, Dorian. Thank you for mailing with us!

I went into the back room and, opening my laptop's terminal, tried to create a letter opener.

>new object "LetterOpener"
    Error: You do not have any remaining processing power. Please remove some items to make more room.

I gritted my teeth and decided to use one of the ones the post office provided. Carefully opening the box, I pulled out a letter, a card, and some raw data. I decided to open the letter first.

Dear Dorian,
    Congratulations on your acceptance into the Defenders. We would like to take this opportunity to...

I didn't finish the letter. My eyes had clouded over with tears of joy. It took so much self control not to jump up and down in excitement.
    I skimmed the rest of the letter for anything important.

In order to finalize your acceptance, your userfile will be moved into the Defenders usergroup. Please make sure that at midnight Universal time, you are not doing anything that will be using processing power. This includes rendering new objects.

Thank you for applying to the Defenders!

That may have been the happiest I had ever been.
    I decided to wait to open the card and the data until I got back to my apartment. I wouldn't miss my apartment much. There was a moratorium on traveling by regular people, but Defenders could basically do whatever they wanted. I was looking forward to traveling. Messages could be sent across the Internet, though there was, again, a size limitation for people who didn't have power. I wanted to meet one of the people that I'd been talking online.
    The subway on the way back was crowded. Everyone was trying to get home for the weekend, when they could relax and use some of their power. It felt weird not to be among them for once.
    As I stepped into my apartment, I turned on the lights to full brightness, which was something normally I only did when I knew I could afford it. I looked around my small apartment and sighed. I said I wouldn't miss it, but it was my home. I walked over to my computer and switched it on, opening up the chat program me and my friend had been using. I wanted to come visit them.

>chat
    ######
    #CHAT#
    ######
    >message @Birdy ((I don't know your name yet))

#Chat log#
    Dorian: Hey!

14. Birdy

Birdy so long

Name: Ix
    Gender (if applicable): Female
    Species: Tiefling (demon cross)
    Basic description: Pale blonde and orange-eyed. Horned and clawed. Missed out on wings and tail, sadly.
    [​IMG]
    Description of starting universe:

A bustling high fantasy style world whose ships and caravans trade valuable algorithms between universes. Ix is a minor clerk, much to her dismay, but that's about to change...

15. Birdy

Birdy so long

are we making a separate rp thread for this?

16. Technicality

Dunno, should we?

17. Birdy

Birdy so long

I assumed there'd be a separate thread for the RP itself, but it's no problem if you don't want to do that! That's just what I was thinking

edit: I also was about to make a subaccount for Ix but usernames have to be at least 3 characters :|

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  18. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

maybe you could add punctation or something to ix's name like Ix. , .Ix , Ix- , -Ix , _Ix , or Ix_ , for example.

• Useful x 1
  19. Technicality

I mean, that's...probably a good idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice