Battening Down the Hatches

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by ZeroEsper, Jan 21, 2016.

1. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

No, I'm not on tumblr. It just seemed like the thing to say.

• Like x 1
  2. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

@blue What does your local weather say? Here in the DC-Baltimore area, they've been warning us since early in the week to stay off the roads this weekend, and the DC metro is shutting down until Sunday. But Boston is only supposed to get an inch or two, if I remember right. The worst of the storm is going to be between North Carolina and NYC.

3. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Yeah, I'm near New York, I'll look at the weather some more - mostly I've just been going on hearsay, which retrospectively strikes me as a bit silly. :P

• Like x 1
  4. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

The roads are shit, so I wouldn't advise driving.

5. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Snow is still falling steadily, and it looks like the wind gusts are starting to pick up. I took my dogs out to play in the snow before the sun went down. I'd say there's maybe 3-4 inches of snow on the ground? Snowplows are out. So far so good!

• Like x 2
  6. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

I'm going to be stuck at work from now until Sunday. The manager let me have a free room for the time being, and I have enough clothes and snacks to last until Sunday night if need be, but I'd really rather be home with my fiance. At least I'm making even more overtime with this, but yiiiiiick. Also, this gets me out of shoveling the front of our apartment, but considering I'm probably going to be shoveling and salting the sidewalks at work tomorrow, this seems like a fair cop.

• Like x 1
  7. blue

blue hightown funk you up

eesh, that sucks D:

• Like x 1
  8. ZeroEsper

Oh geez, I'm sorry to hear that! Do you work at an office?

• Like x 1
  9. missoyashirou

I work at a hotel by a major highway, so there is work that needs to be done (so far had two clients rent room and it's only an hour into the shift). It sucks, but if I didn't come in then the manager or his son would have had to pull an all-nighter. So it's easier for them if I come in, and I'm making overtime for being here, so it evens out as a net positive. Just gotta deal with the shitty part of it first, that is being stuck at a hotel for a snow storm.

• Like x 1
  10. ZeroEsper

I'm glad you at least have a bed! I was considering holing up at a hotel if I'd had to stay at work later. Sadly I think my coworkers have to.

• Like x 2
  11. ZeroEsper

I actually like some physical activity but the thought of shoveling is pretty 'nah'.

12. ZeroEsper

Good news is it'll be spring soon, so we can start mowing instead of shoveling!

• Like x 1
  13. missoyashirou

Shoveling has that added trouble of "possible chance to trip on hidden icy patches", I guess? At least, that's certainly one reason why I hate doing it.

• Like x 1
  14. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

[​IMG]

We got over a foot of snow overnight and it's still coming down. I took the dogs out and they could barely walk - it's up to their chests.

• Like x 3
  15. ZeroEsper

I think it's stopped here, I have to check in a minute, but it was coning down when I woke up earlier.

16. ZeroEsper

I was so wrong. It's still coming down.

17. ZeroEsper

Also minor gripe (I know this is stupid) I have a... Thing... With sugar. I crave it all the time, I always feel like I need sweets, etc. I'm really scared I'm gonna run out of sweet food. I believe I have some sugar in the cabinets but the spooned stuff has a blegh texture.

18. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Do you have butter? Mix some sugar with melted butter and a tiny bit of flour, eat it raw, its delicious.

• Like x 1
  19. ZeroEsper

I do have some butter. That sounds really good!

• Like x 1
  20. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Its even better with nuts and chocolate chips, or a little vanilla extract, or dried cranberries: its basically no bake cookie dough, so. But its tasty as is too.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice