BNHA: Where your quirk is not the written kind

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Raire, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

Man, I have mixed feelings on the trans characters. On one hand, I'd really like Horikoshi to tackle someone more at the forefront... But I also feel a little worried about how he's handled them already so I wonder if it's too hopeful for me to wish for something like that? On the other hand, I'm just happy to have trans characters at all really.

@ZeroEsper
    I've seen some people be really harsh on Gentle, but I think his story is an interesting demonstration of what the backlash/fallout of certain well-intentioned actions or not being 'good enough' for the hero field/society can be like. I really do hope his story will end on a hopeful note, because him and Deku are so similar and I think the way people like Gentle end up being treated is... hmm. An interesting/important worldbuilding note

2. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

I will say with regards to trans characters

I appreciated that when Magne died, it was treated seriously. For the next couple of chapters she's brought up, and when Tomura finishes Chisaki off, he actually says 'this is for Magne.'

The scene where Chisaki misgenders her and Twice gets pissed and points out Chisaki's bigotry was also a step in the right direction.

I think Hirokoshi is growing as a person while he's working on BNHA. Like how he's including more PoC that his readers submitted. I'm not trying to make excuses for him because yes he's DEFINITELY made some problematic choices, but I think that Hirokoshi is trying to be a good person overall, so I have tentative hope in him making even less problematic choices as the series goes on.

• Like x 4
  3. Charlie

I feel like their character designs are how typically cis people envision trans characters and some of the info about them is very stereotyped, BUT at the same time, I struggle with whether this is a bad thing or not, and which parts of it are bad or good. After all stereotypical trans people exist. I know some people talk very vehemently about this, and I'm left unsure. I'm a little more wary of

the character in Magne's backstory than Magne herself or our other more prominent trans character. I also agree that I was surprised to hear a character respect someone's pronouns, and the fact Toga called Magne 'Big Sis' and the Villain Alliance generally seemed to respect Magne's identity was pleasantly surprising to me.

• Like x 3
  4. ZeroEsper

Oh yeah no, I get that, and again I'm not trying to make excuses. I think Hirokoshi does have some work to do, but from what I've seen he doesn't seem like one of those creators who absolutely WILL NOT change for anything. I'm hoping maybe if he gets feedback about trans representation he'll listen to it.

• Agree x 2
  5. Charlie

Yeah, I agree. Honestly I know some people really think his trans characters shouldn't be in it at all, but it makes me happier to see someone earnestly try than not. The fact
    Magne's story was, imo, very intentionally sympathetic makes me think he's being very earnest about this.
    I DO think he's trying, and I will grant him that, and I'm interested to see how he'll take into account feedback in the future.

• Like x 1
  6. I just want trans characters. Then being stereotypical is better than them being jokes that aren’t meant to be taken seriously to begin with. It’s like the Lanque discourse from Hiveswap. Yes they made the most feminine of the boys be the only confirmed trans one, but they gave us one and I want this.

I don’t even know what my own gender is and I’m not used to media that has characters who are trans or nonbinary in them. So this is something.

• Agree x 3
  7. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

plus, I mean....
    gotta start somewhere. trans characters who are stereotypes are not the best, but they're better than no trans characters, and here we even seem to have a creatoe willing to take critiques, which is super cool.

• Agree x 3
  8. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

oh my god
    words cannot describe how much i love this
    (also, sorry for thread necro, but uhh i live here now)

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  9. Don’t be sorry this show deserves more attention

• Agree x 4
  10. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

It does, though I heard they ruined a few the translation in the anime. My boyfriend was frustrated because the fan manga translation was way better and more impactful

11. ZeroEsper

Also I think it's okay to necro a thread to talk about its contents :)

Is anyone else caught up on the manga?

12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

nooo... I need to do that once I regain the ability to think or care about anything other than FMA

13. chaoticArbiter

keep meaning to catch up on it but haven't yet...

14. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I'm caught up!

15. Charlie

I'm caught up

Also... spoilers leaked for the next chapter (which isn't out yet)
    And it looks like Endeavour will probably die

• Winner x 3
  16. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

i'm not caught up on the show, let alone the manga, but
    then perish.png

• Agree x 6
  17. ZeroEsper

please god let that happen.

Also: Dabi is a Todoroki y/n

• Agree x 2
  18. Unknown.

his fire is blue unlike Todo and Endeavor, then again endeavor CAN make blue flames with effort so maybe Dabi just cranks his up? Let’s see if they ever interact and we can find out.

19. chaoticArbiter

I mean....there is one as-yet unrevealed brother....and he DOES have a fire quirk kinda similar to Endeavor's....
    ....he even seems to have a similar eye color to some of the other Todoroki kids and mom.

two things, though. one, none of the others in the family have black hair, but Dabi's hair is black. Endeavor's red haired, the mom is white haired. and that seems kind of significant. a lot of the kids there have an indicator of their Quirk in hair and eye color. and in the one flashback where we see what looks like all Todoroki's siblings, one had white hair, one has white hair with red streaks, and one has red hair. I could see Dabi dyeing it maybe, but second point--wouldn't/shouldn't our Todoroki know his brother? he's seen Dabi's face. and while he never spent a LOT of time with his siblings, he...ought to recognize them. I guess it's possible Dabi left and altered himself significantly enough appearance-wise in that time that Todoroki might not immediately recognize him, but he's had a pretty good look at Dabi and all, you would think if they were brothers and grew up in the same house, Todoroki would at least have some inkling of "seems familiar", but we haven't had any hint in that direction. I guess it might depend on whether or not the family knew Dabi became a villain when he left? although honestly, I can't believe it wouldn't have come up by now if one of the Todoroki siblings left to become a villain. or even just straight-up left at all. you would think that would've come up in Todoroki's backstory. plus, shouldn't Todoroki know his own siblings' quirks to some extent? I feel like blue fire would be pretty distinctive, PLUS he should still at least kind of recognize a person he grew up with...especially when that person has a quirk that you'd think would be pretty distinct and recognizable as "similar to or maybe the exact same as my brother's quirk".

I did see an explanation for Shoto not seeming to know Dabi at all, and no mention of one of his siblings leaving home to never come back, which ie that Dabi is a half-sibling who none of the other kids were told about--a failed experiment with a previous partner, or something to the effect, who was then abandoned by Endeavor and never thought of again by dear old dad.

eta: basically what tickingnectarine said--personally, I like the theory, but we don't really know enough yet and there are a few things that don't quite add up if he's supposed to be a full sibling, imo, rather than half sibling.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  20. Charlie

@chaoticArbiter
    For me there's a lot of reasons Shouto might not know Dabi.
    1. He was isolated from his siblings as a child.
    2. If Dabi is the last sibling, we know the birth order of the others and therefore Dabi is the oldest. Oldest - youngest tend to especially have a big disconnect.
    3. Dabi seems to have undergone a big cosmetic change. He's got uh, some facial stuff he doesn't seem to have had as a kid.

I could see him being a half sibling too, but the way the third child has been handled (the only one without a name, face being covered in hair or seen from the back)... The kid's at least a purposeful red herring if he's not really Dabi.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice