Boat Trolls planning thread! (full of spoilers, non-players enter at your own risk)

Discussion in 'Boat Trolls RP' started by jacktrash, Jun 14, 2015.

1. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

maybe less than the wolves? they had some overlap with wolf 'language', but bears would have somewhat different cues, right? bears are smarter than wolves, but more solitary.

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

although bears think more like humans than wolves do, so that might help with the mojo-speak. bears have better concepts of past and future, for instance. and a lot more interest in things that aren't food or threats.

it'd be a patchy conversation, but a fun one. :D

3. jacktrash

bears are only solitary most of the year, btw; spring salmon run is a big party. :D

• Like x 1
  4. jacktrash

am i playing the bear? i would enjoy playing the bear.

• Like x 1
  5. roach

please do!

6. jacktrash

dogs make too much noise, but also cause people to bring kibble to the woods. and they don't try to eat her babies. mama bear likes dogs.

7. jacktrash

do we want cute animal friends or dramatic adventures?

8. roach

DRAMATIC ADVENTURES

maybe with cute animal friends. i feel like bel would be happy to make friends with a bear. you can't tell me he isn't into the disney princess thing.

• Like x 2
  9. jacktrash

bel saw erskin was kind of in a can't-run situation, and shot back to camp for pants and knife. he is freezing his ass of but has not really noticed, because he is absolutely ready to knife a bear on erskin's behalf.

he can be calmed down easily enough after a bit of tension, though.

10. jacktrash

bel is my favorite disney princess.

• Like x 1
  11. jacktrash

i'm fantasy-ing it up just a little bit, but i have always liked the idea of bears being as talkative as crows, in their own way. and they do make friends with just about anyone when their stomachs are full, if they haven't had a bad experience with people/dogs/whatever. i've read several stories of nature documentary camera crews cautiously letting bears get used to them, and then the bears are just like "oh yeah, it's my metal-doodad-on-a-stick bros again, don't mind me i'm just gonna use your backpack for a pillow and take a nap and eat flowers all over your campsite, sure you can film me, no problem."

• Like x 4
  12. roach

im glad you are writing the bear, you know a lot more than me about them!

13. jacktrash

kadros is a place in crete, and all bel knows about it is that it has a nice beach and some interesting byzantine ruins. he's never been. so his translation to wolf is going to come across kind of weird. (because human!bel's last name comes from his dad's family's origin city, not from the celtic war god.)

14. jacktrash

slightly a special interest :P :P

hover bear.jpg

• Like x 1
  15. jacktrash

hang on, did i misunderstand? i thought that 'the challenge presented by impalement' was what 'erskine aspera' translated to somehow. but if it's a title, and his name was given as a sound somehow, i should rewrite my post.

16. roach

you got it right, it's a literal meaning of his name. erskine by legend means upon the knife, aspera means difficulty or a rough road or challenge, so it could mean a couple things. like, 'the difficult path of violence', or, 'the challenge of balancing on a knife's edge'. probably it varies from AU to AU. in this case it's almost a commentary by his dad on having his only son be born inhuman.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    • Like x 1
  17. jacktrash

cool! i thought about having bel just say his name is 'handsome', but hannibal means 'mercy of ba'al' apparently, and i envisioned his 'wtf just came out of my mouth' face and had to do it.

• Like x 2
  18. roach

Hannibal is a really funny name for Bel, and I love it. I think this is also one more aspect of Bel's life he'd expect a bit of teasing for, if not outright ridicule, and Erskin wouldn't be normal enough to even notice. One of his cousins is probably named Pull To Open, as a morbid evisceration joke. He's not gonna judge.

• Like x 5
  19. roach

I think Erskin would enjoy the stacked meaning of the long form of his name meaning 'mercy of the storm god' and the short form meaning 'beautiful', since both are apt on their own but the latter is also a succinct commentary on the former. Erskin isn't ever particularly literate, but he does love wordplay.

• Like x 2
  20. jacktrash

bear friends playing :3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice