Boat Trolls planning thread! (full of spoilers, non-players enter at your own risk)

Discussion in 'Boat Trolls RP' started by jacktrash, Jun 14, 2015.

1. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

we... can tiptoe around this and just call it the water closet or something.

• Like x 2
  2. roach

how old should i make erskin? i'm torn between 18 and 21— there's a small but significant maturity gap there, so im not sure which would be more fun. and how long would he have been agelessly enthralled by cloris, i don't think uberwaldian peasantry would uprise against a ruling vampire— even a clear usurper— in just one year, but certainly it wouldn't take a whole generation, if cloris was obviously and unapologetically draining the fiefdom from the start for like, lavish parties for her vampire pals. so erskin could have lost a couple years to a decade? he could actually just not even be sure how much time he's lost.

• Like x 2
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'd say go for 21, or even a little older -- 23? -- and jethro can be 28 or so, quite young to retire from the spy business but old enough to be trusted with finances and feelings and not showing off. i feel like if there's a 10-year age gap, their friendship gets a bit parent/child and that's less fun than partners in crime.

• Like x 3
  4. jacktrash

i think i'm gonna go sleep.

5. roach

idk if jethro's an early riser, but if he's not there already, erskin will very carefully and clumsily wash and dry the cups, then be enormously proud of himself.

• Like x 4
  6. roach

i'm setting erskin at 'minor managerial positions (in running a barony)' in terms of maturity and experience. definitely still a bitty baby compared to the vampires who've ruled territories for centuries! and still young by a lot of human standards too. but not just a spoiled and irresponsible manbaby lordling. it's hard to imagine reginald aspera mismanaging his fief or letting his son fuck around uselessly, especially with how sincere captain erskin is about caring for the sunslammer.

i think erskin would still have gotten as much done outdoors as possible, though. he'd be very keen on riding around surveying stuff, or riding around and entertaining foreign delegations, or riding around to deal with judiciary problems like bandits and werewolves and witchhunts*, than staying inside to do the accounting.

*discworldian witchhunts tend to end with the village burning down, not the witch, and are best stopped before they start.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    • Like x 6
  7. jacktrash

i think jethro's family are offlerians, but he picked up the sek thing in assassin school.

• Like x 2
  8. roach

idk what gods are uberwaldian. the peasantry seem a little busy surviving their feudal lords to fuss about divine ones...

• Like x 1
  9. jacktrash

irl walled city, nordlingen germany:

[​IMG]

smaller than ankh-morpork, but still neat

• Like x 2
  10. jacktrash

i kind of feel like discworld jethro comes from a big, sprawling family, all of whom are involved in wool in some manner, right down to the alcoholic bastard third-cousin who is a little too friendly with sheep.

• Like x 5
  11. jacktrash

the black windowboxes with black petunias and howling doorbell is the most discworld thing ever <3

• Like x 1
  12. roach

i love black petunias! black tulips are disappointing to touch because they look satiny but aren't. but black petunias are excellent.

also i subscribe to the notion that discworld vampires just kind of have tropes... manifest... around them. i don't think any of them actually painted their doors or anything. it just happened. they moved in and the next day the pink petunias were all black. maybe they have to whitewash the building walls or the whole thing turns black. or at least to mysterious age-darkened stone.

• Like x 3
  13. jacktrash

they try to plant some nice morning glories in the sideyard and it comes up crimson roses with inch-long thorns. the vampire who was looking forward to the pretty blue flowers has a good cry about it.

• Like x 4
  14. jacktrash

petunias always make me think of seebs because, according to him, they're the only flower that does his favorite color RIGHT.

[​IMG]

• Like x 4
  15. jacktrash

i am not feeling so great, so i think i will go to bed early. thank you for the predatory black hen and howling doorbell. <3

• Like x 1
  16. jacktrash

reckon the butcher will have the balls to overcharge for blood when it's jethro asking for it, even though the Obvious Vampire is right there?

17. roach

i think he'd totally give it a try. why not charge a ton to see if you can get away with it?

• Like x 1
  18. roach

rough math puts that 1$AM pint of blood at three or more times the price of a pint of beer. the butchers might be pricing their animal blood at the going rate for a pint of human blood sold to a hospital.

edit: nvm, pint of human blood ranges from 300$ in the us to 25$ in india. that's pricy! but then again, our technology can use it and store it much better, while the only buyers of human blood in ankh morpork might be the igors. so who knows.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  19. jacktrash

i'm having a hard time finding a price for fresh cooking-grade blood, all that's coming up is veterinary stuff. but the few sources i found for frozen cooking blood put it at around $2-3 a pint US. marrow bones are about $1-2 a pound, and bones and blood are the sort of by-products that butchers end up throwing out most of, since they're only used for certain specialty recipes, and i'd think the prices would be similar.

• Like x 2
  20. jacktrash

mom & dad makwaa: we are prosperous tradesfolk, let us send one of our children to the finest educational facility in ankh-morpork!
    jethro: *graduates from assassin's guild school with a posh accent, a major in forensic accounting, and a slightly unnerving stare*
    mom & dad makwaa: right, all our other kids are going to offlerian temple primary and then straight into apprenticeships. D:

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice