Boat Trolls planning thread! (full of spoilers, non-players enter at your own risk)

Discussion in 'Boat Trolls RP' started by jacktrash, Jun 14, 2015.

1. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

bel: im going to keep bringing up sex, and how much i don't want to have it with you
    erskin: ok kiddo let's change the subject then
    bel: but—

• Like x 2
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

hey that tactic is super subtle when you're 19

3. jacktrash

i don't think kid bel even knows why he's arguing, he just can't stop cuz it's erskin

• Like x 1
  4. roach

you know, i don't think captain aspera is at all equipped to understand, let alone diagnose, any of teen erskin's problems? he deeply regrets his eighth and ninth sweeps, because he feels like he lost them. just about anything would seem better to that to him. any adolescent emotional crisis more complicated than 'an elder god trapped me alone in the desert for four and a half years' is going to be baffling to him.

also i guess even though he did have a number of the same traumas and insecurities, because of the situation he got dumped in at age 10, they've all been addressed or repressed in different ways than teen erskin is currently struggling with? so that's interesting.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  5. roach

"doesn't seem like he's poised to fling himself into the jaws of the most lethal thing he can find and then complain while it chews" ok argument: this is not an erskin thing. this is a teenage thing.

6. jacktrash

i know that, and you know that, but does smol bel know that? :D

• Like x 1
  7. jacktrash

smol bel is a spy nerd, not a marine, and he loves the hell out of this twisty backstab plot stuff. it's probably incredibly obvious how much he loves it. he may be making little approval noises at the best bits.

8. roach

fun fact for bel to re-realize: erskin is deeply averse to introspection and academia, but he's got a lot of latent emotional and social intelligence, and i think he really enjoys the control and power that putting on personas gives him.

i think his ultimate taste in movies and probably even social politics would really leave bel in the dust in terms of understanding who is doing what and why, since a lot of bel's social understanding is learned by rote? maybe erskin can do a lot of pausing and walking bel through the various nested ploys.

9. roach

ok i am corrected! should i edit?

10. jacktrash

i don't think bel has any trouble with nested plots and the like, at least, not if it's being shown by events, rather than subtleties of acting where you're supposed to be able to deduce from the look in someone's eye what just happened :P

anyway nah, erskin can be surprised! big bel doesn't really like betrayal plots bc he finds them cheesy and melodramatic.

11. jacktrash

you know what, i bet the number one reason big bel doesn't like erskin's spy movies is because the violence is unrealistic.

smol bel prefers his violence unrealistic.

12. roach

i think a lot of the motivations would be shown by subtleties? but yeah movies are ultimately supposed to be understandable.

i guess i was thinking about how larger bel is cool with some secret operations, but dislikes the way erskin himself handles visiting captains, and doesn't have much patience for bullshit...?

13. jacktrash

yeah, that's his frontline marine officer attitude. big bel never got into spy stuff beyond the 'liking to read novels full of weapons specs and greek letters' kind of thing. it is smol bel who is duplicitous. :D

14. roach

Gotcha! And I suppose ex-marine bel would still be a big fan of things like clever encryption schemes. The more mechanical side of spywork.

15. jacktrash

oh yes, definitely, and he's still decent at computers and something of a math nerd, though he's fallen behind the state of the art since being too busy for it. i think the social-engineering aspect of espionage just makes him tired. reminds him of too many catch-22 situations and doesn't feel like a fun puzzle.

16. roach

yeah! that's what i was thinking. 'everyone's in a room lying to each other, if they were so smart why wouldn't they have avoided the whole thing' and erskin's like 'lying to people is really fun you absolute iced cabbage' and bel is like *EYEROLLS*.

• Like x 1
  17. jacktrash

and smol bel is seeing it as a puzzle to unravel and finds it quite engaging.

18. roach

bel: erskin is probably strong enough to destroy me
    bel: i must engineer this situation as soon as possible

• Like x 5
  19. jacktrash

true spades

20. jacktrash

ps erskin it's a trap

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice