Boat Trolls

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by jacktrash, May 25, 2015.

1. OtherCat

OtherCat a being of mysterious happenstance

"...So that's how we ended up buying a terrarium for our pillbug ceviche."

"For Acorn."

"For Acorn."

• Like x 7
  2. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

FLUFFCHEEP!
    MY BEAUTIFUL SON
    *joyful squealing*

• Like x 2
  3. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!

#i haven't even read most of the rp #slinks in #slinks out

• Like x 8
  4. Aviari

I am drowning in accurate adorableness. Everything I know about child pysche says this is exactly how babies think/learn. To quote my professor, "Holy shit, I have HANDS! And I can make them MOVE! I'm AMAZING!" Conveying this in Imperious Conqueror Dad Voice makes it even better. A++

• Like x 7
  5. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

im really enjoying the fluffcheep's pov because when i approach a new thing its always as long as i remember been like "oh good job you didn't totally fuck up this super basic thing. No wait you totally did. Why did you think you could do this? Probably you should just give up and die already." Its really really enjoyable to see this thought process of "I AM THE BEST SINCERELY GOOD JOB ME oh wait minor setback ok no i got this I AM AMAZING" instead.

• Like x 10
  6. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

omfg galley is about to meet erskin!
    i've been waiting for this!

7. unknownanonymous

@jacktrash (i think you're the one who does the boat trolls google docs most of the time, yeah?) you forgot to add chapter 4 of book 4 to the table of contents, btw. just figured i'd give you a heads up!

edit: got the book number wrong before

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  8. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

thank you! it's fixed now. :)

• Like x 1
  9. unknownanonymous

10. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I've been rereading the Boat Trolls since the very beginning, and I've reached the point in the logs where Erskin and Eluska are interacting and I just
    I can't keep reading
    I'm cringing too much from second hand embarassment at what I know comes and how this becomes HUGE and auuugh babies.

• Like x 5
  11. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

[​IMG]

sup

• Like x 15
  12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Ok question, why/how did Erskine come to drink coffee with salt?

13. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

i assumed it's because he's adapted to seawater, so too much fresh water irritates his tissues... of course, this raises the question of how much coffee can be considered "fresh water," given how much of it is already in solution...

14. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

all creatures need to maintain a certain sodium level. to oversimplify a bit, freshwater organisms absorb and retain salt to stay at the proper level, while saltwater organisms pretty much exclusively block, shed, and excrete salt to stay at the proper level. land organisms have different mechanisms depending on diet, but so i figured that while landtrolls would work more like humans, and retain or excrete salt as necessary based on diet, seadwellers would have no such internal set-up. as a consequence, erskin needs a really high sodium intake compared to a regular troll to stay healthy. sodium deficiency isn't something modern humans run into all that much, but does severely suck:

"Symptoms of moderate hyponatremia include tiredness, disorientation, headache, muscle cramps, and nausea. Severe hyponatremia can lead to seizures and coma. These neurological symptoms are thought to result from the movement of water into brain cells, causing them to swell and disrupt their functioning."

and of course saltwater fish dumped in freshwater bloat up and die pretty horribly. so erskin avoids freshwater swimming for more than an hour or so, and dumps salt on pretty much everything he eats. he got used to mixing his travel rations of salt into his coffee, so, that's what's up. the meat he preserves is probably not very tasty to landdwellers, either.

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 1
  15. OtherCat

The fluffcheep continues to be utterly adorable.

• Like x 2
  16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

song associations:

• Like x 2
  17. Aviari

So, do we have a Super Competent Reporter Pepper Potts Auspistice incoming? She's already seemed to do a lot of good for them :D

• Like x 2
  18. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

well, she can go on fire... :D

• Like x 3
  19. OtherCat

I am really beginning to like Lainey. She's gotten a little more interesting than the gushy blogger she introduced as. (Which was more exasperating and embarrassing than funny for me.) Also, the conversation about the grocery store was cute and kind of hilarious.

• Like x 4
  20. Silvereye

Silvereye 89 White Paladin Traverses The Cosmos

On that picture Bel is showing Lainey, Galley's spine scars seem pretty visible, and a couple of scars on his arm. If Lainey knows anything about helming she might put two and two together. I guess Lainey isn't interested in selling them out, but it still seems like a high-risk idea.

...unless the scars are not that distinctive. Would they scream "helmsman" or is there other likely reasons to have big round scars in these locations?

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice