Book Recs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Mala, Feb 6, 2016.

1. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

Psst recs for fantasy books with wlw please. Im having a hard time finding lady romances.

• Agree x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

@bornofthesea670 I can't remember any right now but I will keep a lookout. I'm sure I've seen some.

Question; would an urban fantasy-style story with aliens in place of monsters still count as urban fantasy or would it be "urban sci-fi", or is there another name for that? Whatever it's called, are there books like that and can I see some?

3. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

any preference for Fantasy Flavor? high fantasy, sci-fi adjacent fantasy, magical realism, grimdark, etc etc, or are you down for anything?

• Like x 1
  4. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

high fantasy and sci fi adjacent are both good. i prefer fluffier things, i was a teen during The Great Increase Of YA Dystopias so im a little worn out with darker stuff. (i couldnt think of a better title for that, i just got home lol)

i did buy The Last Girl Scout by Natalie Ironside, which is post apocalyptic but from reviews it seems they focus on how people come together to help one another and also its Gay, No For Real It's Gay They Hold Hands And Everything so my expectations are hesitant but hopeful.

not fantasy but still wlw, i'll update you guys once i read it and let you know if its a rec

5. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

not to beat the same dead horse over and over butttttt the locked tomb series is VERY good and gay, very scifi adjacent, will post again with some high fantasy recs when i can look at my goodreads acc

• Useful x 2
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's definitely "darker stuff," though.

7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Is darker but notably humorous as fuck.

• Agree x 2
  8. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I wouldn't call it fluffy, but the Steel Seraglio is really good and isn't dystopian dark. When Women Were Warriors has a sort of dreamy, long-ago feel to it and has multiple wlw characters, but since it's in three parts I'd go with the Steel Seraglio first.

9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Reading and very much enjoying The Paper Magician, loving the general aesthetic and the characters and magic system are charming.

10. LadyNighteyes

Resurrecting this thread because my sibling works 8-hours shifts doing minimal-brain busywork and is running out of audiobooks! They would prefer fantasy with a WLW lead, and would rather avoid anything that's really grim but have trouble getting invested in stories that are just fluffy romance. They'll also take podcasts. The more material the better- they have a looot of time to fill.

11. Aondeug

The Priory of the Orange Tree and the two Kyoshi novels are good for that. The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea fucks. A Master of Djinn fucks. The Unspoken Name is another to look into I think.

• Useful x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I love the 'You're dead to me' podcast from BBC radio 4, it's random bits of history talked about with a host, an expert in the subject and a comedian. It's really funny and you learn stuff :D

13. LadyNighteyes

Sibling says they've read The Unpoken Name and will check out the others!

• Like x 1
  14. Aondeug

I hope they like them!

15. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i read it a while ago but it's been rotating in my mind nonstop so i feel the need to desperately try to get someone else to read this book so i can yell about it. it's so good.

Leech by Hiron Ennes is a gothic horror sci-fi novel that is very much "you can tell this was written by someone doing their med school rotations" for me this is a plus. it's got a lot to say about identity, personhood, and Worms. it's part murder mystery part The Thing and i fucking Love It. there is CSA about 75% of the way through; normally that kind of content is a trigger for me but it was handled very well imo and up-front warning helps me with that kind of thing. imma just paste the summary + blurb on here because it does a better job hyping itself than i can

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

and now I know what I'm getting my sibling for xmas

• Winner x 2
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Can anyone rec any books, especially horror or fantasy, where characters just happen to be fat and it's not a huge deal?

• Agree x 1
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Prosper's Demon, lovely dark fantasy novella.

19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My mum got me onto Drew Hayes' "NPCs" - kind of reminds me of the webcomic Goblins.

20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Anyone else paying attention to BookTube's GarbAugust event?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice