Brexit

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by BlackholeKG, Jun 24, 2016.

1. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Good, now stay gone. Anyone got a banishment spell?

• Like x 4
  3. Lib

Lib Well-Known Member

Do any politicians even exist any more what the hell is going on here. what.

• Like x 8
  4. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Corbyn's doing a good job of holding on, even if he does seem to be very much swimming against an overwhelming tide.

• Like x 1
  5. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

• Like x 4
  6. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

has anyone seen that post about how the brexit vote lines up perfectly with where mad cow disease was spread

can anyone tell me if that's true because it would be fucking hilarious if it is

• Like x 3
  7. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I'm pretty sure it was fake, looked like the second diagram was a greyscale colourswap of the first with edited text. The original diagram was a bespoke application that the BBC used to present the results and it'd be odd to see random 1990s data with coincidentally exactly the same presentation, down to the pixel.

Pretty amusing fake though.

• Like x 3
  8. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

• Like x 2
  9. EulersBidentity

I hadn't seen that Alex Salmond has written about it, but I did see a fb friend's post saying something similar. It makes nasty sense.

10. Nertbugs

Doesn't it? I know politics is billed as full of intrigue and backstabbing etc, but I've had enough of that shit for a lifetime. I do have high hopes for some serious Corbyn Wrath if he hangs on long enough. (Though I'd rather Blair had been decent in the first place and this wasn't even a thing, but that ship has sailed).

• Like x 2
  11. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

The Parliamentary Labor Party never wanted Corbyn in the first place, it was the membership, and who the hell are they?

12. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

I thought it was hilarious too, but by the second time I'd seen it, I'd already seen a Facebook thing explaining that Snopes had already busted it, but it's too far gone now to really stop.

http://www.snopes.com/mad-cow-versus-brexit/

13. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

his party is trying to get rid of him. that's not "doing a good job of holding on," that's burning every bridge he has w the people he would have to work w if there were even the slightest chance he'd be able to continue in politics effectively after this. he's shooting himself in the foot if he has any further political ambitions. his own party in the parliament voted overwhelmingly against him in that no confidence vote. if he had stepped down after that, he might have been able to save himself for future runs, but as it is he's shown that he doesn't give a shit what his peers think. no one in his own party is going to want to work w him after this.

o__o shit that's a little more heated than I intended, it's just that this is exactly why Bernie Sanders in the US wouldn't be able to get anything done as president and seeing it happen to other left wing groups is incredibly frustrating

• Like x 2
  14. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

i reblogged it even though i was pretty sure it was fake, because it was just too funny to pass up either way

• Like x 1
  15. Nertbugs

I just worry about Corbyn not fighting to keep us in Europe if he does manage to retain leadership and win at the next general election. (Which I hope will be very soon after the new Tory leader is announced because fuck that noise). I'm aware that it might be too late and there might be nothing he can do, but I at least want him to come out swinging, you know? As it is I'm getting this aura of defeat from him that's worrying me. Will be very happy to be proved wrong though.

16. EulersBidentity

@thegrimsqueaker that's fair, but President and opposition leader aren't the same roles.

Which isn't to say it's not a problem that Corbyn isn't supported by his party, even if I like his ideals. I do worry about his efficacy as leader when the press and most of Labour hate him.
    But I also haven't trusted Labour since 2003, so like, yes Jezza, drag them back left.

• Like x 1
  17. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

that's v true. my point isn't that the positions are similar, it's that Corbyn and Sanders as people are. they're both generally well-liked by their constituents and farther left than most of their parties, but are also fairly poorly regarded by the people who actually work w them. Corbyn received v little support from other MPs during his run for the party leadership, while Sanders didn't get a single endorsement from any of his peers in congress. that's always a huge red flag to me bc you can't get anything in politics done if the people you're working w don't support you

• Like x 2
  18. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

okay bbc but how does it compare to homestuck?

• Like x 8
  19. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

I like how the harry potter series is also the bisexual flag

• Like x 4
  20. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

It's at least shorter than that one Smash Brothers fic that's been going for ten years, I think?

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice