Brexit

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by BlackholeKG, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

In terms of word count Homestuck is just under a million words IIRC (but given it's not prose, that's a LOT), Worm is 1.6 million words or so.

• Like x 3
  2. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Roughly 3x as long. Which is insane.

• Like x 1
  3. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Interesting theory. This means that tomorrow I'm going to get into arguments with my dad about the inquiry.

How about that Theresa? I know next to nothing of her, but from what I read she is a very strong candidate for Prime Minister right now.

4. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

She hates human rights, brown people, and the disabled, but she's good at public speaking and will probably win on that and Thatcher nostalgia, because apparently some people have that.

5. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Of course. Why did I bother hoping it might mean something good. I mean, the evidence was against me.

I hope my family is ok :/

6. Morven

The idea of Thatcher nostalgia makes me feel queasy.

• Like x 6
  7. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

it's a really horrifying idea

if you'll excuse me, I'll be over here playing "Tramp the Dirt Down" on repeat until Thatcher-clone goes away

8. Morven

Oh, she's notably homophobic too and has voted against pretty much every single positive change in the direction of gay rights during her time in Parliament.

9. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

... I know people who vote that way generally genuinely believe they are doing the Right Thing, but I am having a hard time believing it, especially in the growing face of younger generations that will remove those blocks as we come into power. They won't go down well in history, at least, it is rather unlikely...

Sometimes it just seems spiteful to me, "Well, I know you will treat the Homos like they want to be but like hell am I going to make it easy for you to get there".

But no, this is an actual woman who could have easily chosen a much less stressful career, but who genuinely believes these things. It makes me sad. I kind of want to hug her, because seeing the world change must be scary to her.

• Like x 1
  10. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

How the hell did I manage to write a poem with the appropriate sentiment earlier today.

:/

• Like x 1
  11. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

Boris Johnson: Foreign Secretary.

... She is joking, right? She doesn't seriously think that out of all possible options, BoJo - the man who famously wrote a poem about the Turkish PM fucking a goat - was genuinely the best person for the job?

Also, no Brexit budget. This seems misguided to me.

• Like x 6
  12. Morven

I think Boris is being given the "You broke it, now it's yours" responsibility.

• Like x 1
  13. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

... I thought my dad was joking when he said Boris Johnson got that position. I literally thought that. I. I am having a hard time thinking of a worse person, apart from Nigel Farage. I mean. Does Mays want him to fuck up extremely so as to prove a point? I just.

It makes sense that Boris and co. from the Leave campaign should deal with the consequences of their actions, but this is basically pushing the pyromaniac towards tinder, and he's been carrying that gasoline for a while now...

14. Morven

It may have been part of the deal that was done to get May into the position, for that matter. But it's very Tory to think that would be a wonderful joke.

15. Morven

This is why friends don't let friends vote Tory, btw.

Unfortunately Labour are currently proving why you don't vote Labour either.

And the Lib Dems proved why you don't vote for them: they do deals with Tories that fuck up the country.

Who you vote for? Not sure.

• Like x 3
  16. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Shit like this is why I can sometimes understand the desire to vote by writing in a third candidate in the USA. Because one reaches a level of "fuck you you all suck there is nothing good fuck this shit" to the political parties.

• Like x 1
  17. Morven

Where's Screaming Lord Sutch when you need him. (Dead, that's what. Shame. But his party lives on!)

• Like x 3
  18. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

In the general election, I voted Green.

Not that that was ever going to get me anywhere (especially as I live in a conservative safe constituency), but there you are.

19. Nertbugs

That photo of BoJo clutching his red briefcase. It's like something out of a nightmare.

I saw Gove and Morgan have been ousted. But Hunt remains. That man is absolute poison and part of me had hoped that he would be kicked to the curb before he could do any more damage.

And I didn't know the Monster Raving Loonies were still going! I know at one point if you joined up you'd get an honorary title.

20. Nertbugs

Additionally (apologies for the double post) I've been with my staunchly pro-leave Northern family for most of the week. Told them on Tuesday evening May would be PM by the time they woke up the next morning. They were all shocked. No one had a good word to say about it. I haven't asked any of them if they regret their choice yet, and I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to. But I know a good percentage of them are pro Labour, and I just want to sit them down and quiz them on whether an unelected Tory PM and a Labour party in shambles is really what they wanted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice