Bugs/Feature Requests

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Everything showed as UTC until I noticed that there was a setting in the control panel. Board probably defaults to US Central now, but my account predates the configuration.

2. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yep, default is US Central for me now. I just got confused by the statuses because I'm half-awake; I swear, they were in the same color-order when I went to sleep!

3. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Can we have a separate part of the forum for optional introductions and for general chatter? I feel like either of these crowds the forums a bit when you're looking for the other.

• Like x 1
  4. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Though right now intro threads seem to have a lot of other discussion going on, too, which is... neat, if terrible for finding things.

Other thing that might be useful, OP Post alerts. Normal alerts, if you don't respond to them, will not trigger again. So if you don't catch all the way up on a thread, you won't get alerts telling you there's new stuff. With the OP alerts, if the OP posts something of a set length, you'll get a separate alert for that.

Dunno if it'd be as useful as the multiquote, especially with a smaller forum with less fiction and more help-asking, but seems like it could potentially be a useful option to have, since it should be disableable if people don't want it?

5. Helen of Boy

Not sure if double-posting or editing is better, but I think there are alternative rating systems to likes? I know there are, rather, but not how complicated they are. But given the personal nature of things, having some other options might be nice, because being able to give 'hugs' or note things as 'insightful' seems like actually useful granularity. I don't want to like people's trauma...

But as with all these things, this is also just me-as-someone-that-has-been-active-on-xenforo-forums-for-longer-than-I've-been-on-tumblr trying to point out the potentially useful things I've seen, more than anything else. Hope I'm not being a bother!

• Like x 1
  6. seebs

For reference: "Double posting" is the thing where you end up hitting the post button twice and the same post appears twice. Posting two different things is not "double posting". <-- pedant

7. Helen of Boy

Huh. I'd always heard it applied both ways, with the accidental double posting being one kind, and posting twice in a row being the other. But that distinction makes sense.

8. seebs

I think the other usage is a cargo cult misunderstanding. People were vaguely aware that two consecutive posts could be "double posting", didn't understand the distinction, and turned it into a new rule.

It's like the thing where people are vaguely aware that resuming very old threads can be bad, so any resumption of any old thread is always called "thread necromancy" and viewed as bad. No, it's not bad. It's bad if the old thread is no longer true or relevant, but it's not bad when it stayed topical.

• Like x 1
  9. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Can we get strikethrough?

10. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

already got it

It's [s*][*/s] (without the stars)
    On a related note, does this forum have a [noparse][/noparse] equivalent?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  11. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

IT'S NOT ON THE TOOLBAR.

Assuming I'm parsing (ha) your request correctly, in BBC that's usually code tags.

12. seebs

I think that's [plain].

• Like x 1
  13. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

[s]yep, that works[/s]

14. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

Is it possible for the polls to have a function in which, when you're looking at the results, you make them go in the order of the number of votes/percentage of votes? 'Cause well, I think that'd appeal to my Sperginess. I mean, it's not important, really. Just a thing I'd like.

15. seebs

I don't know. I think poll display order is innate to the poll, though.

16. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

Ah well, I'm not particularly invested in it, anyway.

17. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Hey, what about a button/link/keyboard shortcut that takes you to an innocuous webpage? I'm thinking about the abuse survivors/endurers on here, and how they'd hate to have to explain if they got caught... Would something like that be possible? I know there are apps that do it, but I'm no programmer so I haven't got a clue. Just a thought.

18. seebs

I don't think we can do much better than "close the window".

19. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

20. Helen of Boy

Or the tab. If you've got two tabs, one with this and one with something safe, a quick CTRL+W will close this and leave you on the other page. I do lots of tabbed browsing, so one of my hands it usually over there already.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice