Bugs/Feature Requests

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Whaddya know, the superscript and subscript were pretty easy, only issue is that by default the sub/sup tags are disabled.

2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Sweeeeeeeeet

• Like x 8
  3. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

Wait... Should I be seeing another button for sub/superscript? Because I'm not...(I hit alllll the buttons) or is it a keyboard short cut or something??

4. Wiwaxia

's bbcode. like e[sup]x[/sup] for ex.
    And likewise for [sub][/sub]

• Like x 1
  5. seebs

Yeah, I don't think I can add buttons, but there's a thing to let me make my own bbcode entries for some simple stuff.

6. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

we should be able to delete our accounts.

7. seebs

Deleting creates... issues. Like, the database has things like "who started this thread" and so on. So I've been inclined not to have a delete option, but to let people stop posting if they want. Or make sub-accounts for posting stuff and then stop using them.

I'm trying to sort of find a middle ground between letting people bail out and keeping the forums from getting confusing and losing data. I am very fussy about losing data.

8. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

I frankly do not feel safe having anything I shared be on this forum anymore or taking part in any of the topics.

9. seebs

Can you tell me what happened so I can maybe do something about this? I am really confused. I can look into whether there's a way to hide your stuff, I guess?

10. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

@Kijikun you can also delete posts you made and threads you started, though I understand why that might be too daunting a task.

Stay safe <3

11. seebs

I'm gonna look into a thing, which may involve temp-banning @Kijikun, please understand she's done nothing wrong, I just want to see if I can make the system fix a thing.

12. Wiwaxia

@seebs could also change their name to ******* to "delete" their identity or the like too, maybe?

@wixbloom: you can't delete started threads, due to forum workings, I think, but you could edit the original post to be blank

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  13. seebs

Yeah. I just wanna see if there's some kind of "don't display this user's posts" feature I could use.

14. Wiwaxia

@seebs Could you hypothetically add a "people who can see my posts" toggle to the privacy settings page? Like "members and visitors" "members only" "nobody"?

15. seebs

I don't think I can. I've got a thread on the xenforo forums in case someone's got an addon for it.

16. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I know you dislike rules, but a rule against carrying forum talk out of the forum might be sensible?

• Like x 1
  17. seebs

It might be sort of sensible, but it can't really be enforced usefully, in general. I am inclined to leave it as a guideline, which I think it sort of is already.

• Like x 2
  18. albedo

albedo metasperg

Would it be worthwhile to add a robots.txt file, so things won't show up on Google?

For the non-technically inclined, robots.txt files are how you tell Google/Bing/all the reputable search engines "hey, don't add this to your results". It can be done for a whole website, or just for part of it.

It doesn't prevent actual humans from accessing pages, it's just a message for the robots that maintain search engines. Search engines are not required to obey robots.txt, but the reputable ones do.

Not sure how folks feel about that; I'm not strongly invested, but thought it might be worth asking.

Pros: Reduces chance that "outsiders" will stumble across the forum accidentally - e.g., someone googling a Tumblr url. Slightly more privacy for users.
    Cons: Added privacy may increase risk that the forum will become an echo chamber. Users would need to rely on the (probably less effective) website's search to find messages/conversations.

• Like x 1
  19. seebs

We already have most of the interesting forums members-only.

20. Aya

Aya words words words

I'm not sure what I think is the right move wrt bots, but I do feel that it's worth thinking about, I guess? I think we're probably okay, but I also don't really have anything to lose if someone discovers I'm here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice